Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] New mask - can anyone explain some of these shifting numbers?
New mask - can anyone explain some of these shifting numbers?
Hey there, this is my first post on here and I hope I am doing it correctly, so please bear with me as I am eager to learn more and be apart of this community. (23 M)

I had an initial sleep study a few years ago and was unable to pursue treatment back then.

it showed AHI 7 
2 OSA, 8 CAs, and 35 hypopneas. Also, 108 arousals related to snoring. The report showed a 20.6 respiratory related arousal per hour of sleep. Oddly I felt like I slept like a baby during those years.

Fast forward to now and I have very fragmented sleep (waking constantly, unrefreshing, headaches, brain fog) and my insurance currently won't cover a sleep study so I bought a slightly used Resmed 10 and am trying to treat myself. 

I started 2 weeks ago with a nasal mask (mirage fx) and it was difficult because I have bad nasal congestion (have tried all the sprays). My numbers with the mask were around 2.5-4 AHI with mostly Clear airway apneas (20 on average) and Obstructive Apneas (7-10 on average and a few hypopneas). Just 3 days ago I was able to save enough to buy a FFM (Air fit 20) because I often mouth breath. The first night went well and I checked OSCAR to find my best numbers yet, I had only 1 CA and 7 OAs and 4 HAs for a 1.5 AHI. I also had 17 large leaks and many correlated with some of the events. The next two nights things changed quite a bit, both nights I had an AHI of 5-6 with 20-30 CAs, 20+ OSAs, and one night 30+ Hypopneas. I am feeling worse today and I am not sure what happened to cause such a massive difference. I tightened the mask the last two nights and had less leaks, I also kept it on all night for all 3 nights but feel rough today. Can anyone help me understand this?
 I am desperate to try and get the treatment locked in. I also plan on getting another in lab study next month when I get new insurance. 

my Settings are: 
6-14 pressure
EPR 3 (after the first night of bad numbers I turned it off to see and hypopneas went from 9 to 32)
Humidity 3
Ramp on 

I am still trying to figure out how to post the charts of the past nights and will do ASAP under this post. 

Thank you to anyone in advance.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New mask - can anyone explain some of these shifting numbers?

here are the screenshots of my OSCAR charts, the lowest AHI is first night of FFM and the other two are the last two nights. I hope I did this correctly, please let me know what else I could do to help others understand the pics better.
Post Reply Post Reply
The first thing I notice is you didn't change the CPAP's mask type to the style you're using.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I did on the machine I just forgot to on my profile on here.
Post Reply Post Reply
All your screenshots are showing "Mask - Full Face".
- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
He is using an F20 FFM.
Post Reply Post Reply
I apologize. I will be claiming dyslexia. For some reason I read that the OP had switched from an FFM to a Nasal mask. DUH!!!

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Switching to automatic raised AHI numbers Leitrim 4 118 03-26-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Leitrim
  Can someone help me make sense of my Therapy Numbers? kc90 6 353 02-21-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: kc90
  Frustrating insomnia continues despite numbers alienfrontier 10 605 01-27-2024, 02:04 PM
Last Post: alienfrontier
  Central Sleep Apnea AHI numbers too high chathamite 12 1,017 11-19-2023, 07:47 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Numbers are better but I feel worse LikeaGlove90 2 511 09-24-2023, 12:10 AM
Last Post: LikeaGlove90
Sad Waking up around 4-5am every night. Occasional Aerophagia. Good numbers? jkang9080 3 539 08-22-2023, 11:58 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Please explain airsense term on clinical settings rebean 2 515 08-11-2023, 09:29 AM
Last Post: rebean

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.