Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] New sleep doc is a gem
New sleep doc is a gem
it has taken 3 tries and over a year, but I have at last found a sleep doctor who is not just interested in $$$.

One of the RTs that loaned me a BiPAP had recommended this doc if the BiPAP was not the answer for me. I have been using an ASV since May this year, but always a little reluctantly as I had really no idea of what my actual sleep issues were other than OSA.

Saw this doctor last Wednesday, spent 90 minutes going over my whole medical/sleep history, plus Sleepyhead reports, sleep study and the titration report. Looks like I will be getting an MRI on the old brain, lots of blood work and a referral to a Rheumatologist for pain issues.

I like this doc so much I would even try BiPAP again...lol
Anyway along with the repirologist I think I may be on the way to some answers...I still
am a long way from being able to write a success story, but there is a little more light
at the end of the sleep tunnel....

Thanks again for all the support especially since April this year when I started this second go round with CPAP.

May you all sleep well and have peaceful dreams,

Storywizard
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New sleep doc is a gem
S, I am so happy to hear this. What is the doc's thinking in ordering the MRI -- does s/he have a suspicion or is it to do some rule-outs?
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-04-2015, 04:05 PM)kaiasgram Wrote: S, I am so happy to hear this. What is the doc's thinking in ordering the MRI -- does s/he have a suspicion or is it to do some rule-outs?

Hi there K...

She is concerned that the level of fatigue I am feeling could point to some brain changes, there are some studies on brain damage in untreated OSA,

Just a couple of articles...
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3242693/
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/201...135438.htm

They show that treatment with CPAP actually heals the issues...that is not happening to me, I am getting worse on CPAP. There are other issues from my past (not drugs, lol) that may be contributing also...so an interesting time...

Storywizard

Post Reply Post Reply
fantastic, SW. Good to hear.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-04-2015, 04:13 PM)storywizard Wrote: She is concerned that the level of fatigue I am feeling could point to some brain changes, there are some studies on brain damage in untreated OSA,
Just a couple of articles...
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3242693/
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/201...135438.htm
They show that treatment with CPAP actually heals the issues...that is not happening to me, I am getting worse on CPAP. There are other issues from my past (not drugs, lol) that may be contributing also...so an interesting time...

I'm very interested in what you'll find out. After my very marginal improvement on CPAP (despite AHI always near zero) I asked about about a brain MRI (my apnea was severe) and my doctors refused, saying that even if they saw brain changes it would not point to a particular treatment (beyond CPAP), so the imaging would not get us anywhere. Sad I never pushed back on that because it seemed like a logical rationale, but it has not been easy to live with the fatigue and related symptoms which have had a significant impact on my quality of life.

I appreciate that you're here and willing to share your story as it develops -- and good for you for not giving up. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-04-2015, 03:58 PM)storywizard Wrote: but there is a little more light
at the end of the sleep tunnel....

Lets hope its not an oncoming train. Coffee

Good deal on finding a doc. It's been long enough. Waiting to here more positive results. Eat-popcorn
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi storywizard,
It’s so good to hear that you “finally" found a sleep doc that is willing to listen to you and really look into things.
Good luck and I look forward to hearing more about your progress.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Glad to hear you found a DR that cares, better hang on to him Thumbs-up-2
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-04-2015, 11:19 PM)JWR Wrote: Glad to hear you found a DR that cares, better hang on to him Thumbs-up-2

it was so amazing to get that much time and understanding from a sleep doc, I will do whatever it takes to continue under her care...she is one incredible physician...

Storywizard
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-05-2015, 05:30 PM)storywizard Wrote:
(10-04-2015, 11:19 PM)JWR Wrote: Glad to hear you found a DR that cares, better hang on to him Thumbs-up-2

it was so amazing to get that much time and understanding from a sleep doc, I will do whatever it takes to continue under her care...she is one incredible physician...

Storywizard

You are so fortunate to find a doctor like the one you describe. I like my sleep doctor but yours sounds right out of this world! Kinda wish I lived in Canada.

Best of luck to you! Smile

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 165 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 206 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,361 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  [Diagnosis] Sleep deprivation vs sleep apnea - my therapy thread JRNfromAZ 2 807 08-01-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: JRNfromAZ
  Sleep apnea and CPAP use and it’s effect on HRV and Sleep Quaility tinyobject 1 1,011 01-21-2023, 10:37 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Random nights of short sleep due to several days mounting to too much sleep? CorruptAlligator 2 681 10-19-2022, 09:04 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  Home sleep test vs. sleep study at clinic rikkitikkitavi 14 3,201 02-18-2022, 08:46 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.