Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] New to Forums, Looking for a bit of guidance
New to Forums, Looking for a bit of guidance
Hello all,

I found this site about a year ago, 6 months after I began sleep therapy. I found the other threads very helpful as I tried to address some of the issues I was experiencing.

Over the last year, I have followed some of the advice of users here to get my numbers consistently below 2 events an hour. However, I think I can do better, and I wanted to ask your advice.

Background:
1. 23yo Male, 6'6", 280lbs, powerlifter.
2. Original symptoms were: blackouts, waking in sweats after 16+ hr nights, poor cognitive function until after noon, and suicidal urges (among other psych issues).
3. Sleep panel showed ~30 events an hour, with 8 being obstructive, the rest being central.

BACKSTORY:::
I adapted to the therapy very fast, and I immediately noticed a difference. It was very encouraging. After 30 days, they switched my cpap for a bipap. The first month with the bipap was not positive, because on the low pressure I tended to hold my breath instead of exhaling, and my doctor ended up revising the settings.

I was still not thrilled with the results 90 days later, so I began to tweak the settings on my own once I found this forum. At this point my numbers improved dramatically, and I began to see many of the psychological symptoms resolve.

Over the last year, I have only had 2 major panic attacks, and my level of depression has remained relatively under control. I take Nuvigil to deal with the constant drowsiness I have been experiencing, and while the drowsiness is getting better, I still need Nuvigil to prevent falling asleep while driving, for example.
END ::::::::

The last week I decided to revisit my sleep therapy, since I have been feeling more exhausted than normal. I increased my Ti Min value from 0.3 seconds to 1.3, leaving max at 2.4 seconds. I feel that 1.3 seconds is unrealistic for minimum breath depth, but I was curious what would happen. Sure enough I saw my events per hour shoot up to 15, and only 1 physical obstruction, which I think is more of a rounding error by comparison.

Anyways, I did feel more alert early this morning. I think I got more oxygen. Moving forward, there are a few things I am considering:
1. Auxiliary Oxygen line
2. Titrate tidal volume up
3. Do nothing

Any thoughts? Recommendations? I'm an engineer, and I would certainly like to have a more quantitative view of what is going on. Any software recommendations?

Thanks so much,
jg
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New to Forums, Looking for a bit of guidance
Make sure you have an SD card in your machine, (upper door on the left side.)  Any SD card under 32GB should work.  
Software, SleepyHead without question.  

Post your daily charts,  pay attention to the organization (my signature).  These give us all the detail that you are looking for.  Down to a breath by breath look if needed (just keep clicking to get the magnification needed.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
As an engineer you know the value of data. If you could update your profile that would help a lot. Also if you can post a chart from sleepyhead by using the posts below it would help in giving you solid advice.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Perfect. I'll do that.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 14 250 Yesterday, 12:33 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  [Pressure] Looking for some pressure guidance lavenderlate 1 132 03-11-2024, 07:50 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Another new user needing guidance Unathletico 1 167 02-26-2024, 07:08 AM
Last Post: grubsztyl
  Brain Fog - seeking guidance in optimizing my therapy deocder 42 5,376 02-20-2024, 10:52 AM
Last Post: deocder
  New APAP user looking for guidance on interpreting OSCAR Data MildOSAHighRera 6 494 01-17-2024, 06:58 PM
Last Post: MaskedOne
  [Treatment] UARS With BiPAP - Looking for Some Guidance Sleepy541 2 411 01-07-2024, 12:59 AM
Last Post: Sleepy541
  Programme change guidance to eliminate apneas FijiFarmer 1 244 01-01-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.