Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] New to the board, having trouble sleeping
New to the board, having trouble sleeping
Hello.
I have been doing the Bi-Pap thing for 15 years. Nine days ago I got a new machine (Res Med Air Curve 10 VAUTO) which is suppose to be set up like my old one (17-21) & yet I have yet to get a decent night's sleep. In the first week I did not sleep a wink. My on-line event log shows 10.2 events per hour.
One more factor: I quit drinking beer 75 days ago. I feel like I am going to die unless I get some sleep. Any advice?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New to the board, having trouble sleeping
Just a quick check - how much were you drinking daily, how fast did you quit, and did you have professional help to do it? At a certain level, stopping alcohol, or some other depressant drugs, may result in a period of re-adaptation to normal body rhythms and this could be part of it.

If you download SleepyHead, get some screen shots, upload them to something like IMGUR, and then provide a link here(after a minimum of 4 posts), we'll be able to offer more feedback. Without that, we'd be guessing.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Beej.

Thanks for the reply. I did not drink daily. But, enjoyed a beer buzz @ times. I quit all at once with no help. When I had some beer I could count on sleeping, at least for a few hours.

It was not until I got the new machine that I got insomnia. I even tried going back to the old machine & that does not help. Somehow I feel @ peace thinking that "This too shall pass."

I'm thinking perhaps I may need more pressure??? I will download SleepyHead & then see what that is about. Right now I am using "my air web".

LittleLuLu
Post Reply Post Reply
If you look at the front of your machine, there may be a Sleep Report. Press that and scroll down to read an overview of what it recorded. It'll break down the Apnea-Hypopnea Index into types of apnea (they should sum together for the total).

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi LittleLuLu,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I wish you good luck as you continue your CPAP therapy and also with getting used to your new machine.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello Beej.
Hello trish6hundred.

"If you look at the front of your machine, there may be a Sleep Report. Press that and scroll down to read an overview of what it recorded. It'll break down the Apnea-Hypopnea Index into types of apnea (they should sum together for the total)." — Beej

When I scroll down I get this: "Track your sleep health at ResMed.com/myAir"

This morning I went to ResMed.com/myAir & saw this report: "8.9 events per hour ... 'Events per hour (AHI) means the number of apneas and hypopneas you experience each hour of sleep.'"

I did download "sleepyhead" yet I have not pulled a chip yet to try the program. I have a Personal Message in to my sleep doctor telling her about my trouble sleeping & asking permission to boost the pressure to see if that helps. I already got permission from the provider to go into the secret menu to cut the auto start. That is a funny story. What is not funny is that, on auto start the machine would auto stop in a few seconds; this was a problem every time I yawned. Now with the auto start on off I am no longer experiencing the machine restart when I yawn. In fact, I am no longer aware of any yawning.
LittleLuLu
Post Reply Post Reply
I think you need to go into the secret menu (aka clinician's menu) and change it to Plus from Essentials. Then the machine sleep report will give you the breakdown. This does not change your therapy at all; it just changes the report you see on the machine.

Post Reply Post Reply
It's important to know whether the centrals you are having are central or obstructive. Your machine has an auto-titrating function, but is setup in fixed VPAP mode. Rather than simply increase pressure manually, you should change to Vauto mode, set the minimum pressure to no more than 17 and maximum pressure to 25, and pressure support to 4. This will start you out at your current pressure, and will allow the machine to increase pressure if obstructive events are a problem.

Again, this is just a wild guess unless we see the #Sleepyhead data to try and figure out what is going on. It is just as likely you need a lower pressure or pressure support.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Beej!

Based on your advice, I went into the clinician's menu & made the change to "Plus" from "Essentials". Then, exited the clinician's menu & brought up the "Sleep Report" from the normal Home Screen: Now, since "Plus" was added from "Essentials", I see a list of additional data. Perhaps the last three things on the list are of significance:
AHI 5.3
Total HI 5.1
Central HI 3.2

Also, within that "Plus" menu, I see this additional info:
Pressure 19.3
Exp Pressure 15.5

I'm thinking the machine's AUTO mode limited the pressures down a bit, based on what it perceived as my needs, because, in the clinician's menu the pressures are listed as 21 over 17 just like I asked for them to be which is also how my old machine is set up.

So as not to lose focus, are the three HI values mentioned above what you had in mind when you suggested I could get more data?
LittleLuLu
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider.

"It's important to know whether the centrals you are having are central or obstructive. Your machine has an auto-titrating function, but is setup in fixed VPAP mode. Rather than simply increase pressure manually, you should change to Vauto mode, set the minimum pressure to no more than 17 and maximum pressure to 25, and pressure support to 4. This will start you out at your current pressure, and will allow the machine to increase pressure if obstructive events are a problem.

Again, this is just a wild guess unless we see the SleepyHead data to try and figure out what is going on. It is just as likely you need a lower pressure or pressure support." — Sleeprider

Thank you so much! I will cut and paste that info into a file & speak to my sleep doctor about it.
I will also update this thread in the weeks / months ahead ...
LittleLuLu
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 211 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 981 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 807 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  Trouble adapting to ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV JanetW 6 201 03-19-2024, 01:58 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 203 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 248 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  [CPAP] Trouble staying asleep with CPAP sarahsleeps 44 1,859 03-12-2024, 01:50 PM
Last Post: sarahsleeps

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.