Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] New to therapy, not going well
RE: New to therapy, not going well
Awesome turnaround, just by adjusting EPR! Way to go!
Post Reply Post Reply
I would really like to get my AHI number closer to 0. Is that realistic? Is it realistic with my present machine or should I be looking for the Aircurve ASV?
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm of the opinion that when your AHI is under 5.0, not only is that called treated medically, I'd try for best comfort instead of an AHI closer to zero.

As for pursuing an ASV machine, it shouldn't be indicated with what you've shown in that chart. Insurance would not approve a claim without showing evidence of central apneas after you've been on CPAP or BiLevel for at least a month. To the best I recall that is.

I have an ASV machine. I took an overnight for BiPAP which indicated 124 Central Apnea and 24 obstructive apnea while on a BiPAP. Translation: clear need of ASV. You don't show the pattern of need IMO.

Welcome to Apnea Board. You're already getting great advice, but I wanted to chime in from a central apnea and ASV patient.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-06-2018, 01:51 PM)mjoereid Wrote: I would really like to get my AHI number closer to 0. Is that realistic? Is it realistic with my present machine or should I be looking for the Aircurve ASV?

ClosER to 0 is a fine goal.  But 0 is an unrealistic goal.  Even people without sleep apnea wouldn't often get a 0 (from what I've learned).

Under 5 is pretty much "the happy place" for AHI to be.
Post Reply Post Reply
Will standard response or soft response be better for CA aptnia?
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-07-2018, 09:04 PM)mjoereid Wrote: Will standard response or soft response be better for CA aptnia?

Not sure the soft response will help. The best way to treat CA’s is often fixed pressure and no EPR

But over time your body will adapt and the number of CA’s will reduce. Don’t panic you do not have many and your figures are pretty good.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your numbers are awesome!!!   like

Do not chase numbers from here, the goal is comfort.  Certainly keep an eye on them, but don't worry.

You had only 6 CA events for the entire night, and looking at the flow chart you see peaks and valleys right at the time you had these,  I'd bet that these events are you squirming or rolling side to side in bed with you HOLDING your breath and not actual CA events.  Obviously we don't know for sure because we are not monitoring your brain activity.

With results like this, based on your numbers, I would not recommend another machine.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-06-2018, 09:36 AM)mjoereid Wrote: Here is last nights results. I woke up early for some reason and that was about the end of my sleep but seems like good results to me.

Hello

Welcome to the Apneaboard Forum and congratulations on such good results.

Zero events is an ideal which many of us do not achieve. I would not chase it for its own sake but rather ask myself how I am feeling now. Your charts show a few hypopneas which are indicated despite having a maximum pressure of 20 for this night. Perhaps you could start at 7 to see if those hypopneas can be gotten rid of.

I am down to low 0.1 most days and am really happy with that. Zero happens sometimes but I do not worry if I do not get them as on the whole I feel 'normal' ie pre apnea days.
Sleepyhead in 5 easy steps
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ditto on bonjours comments. I'd probably drop the maximum pressure to 10cm just to keep the pressures from running away if you get a leak. It won't change your numbers in any way.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the welcome and comments. I'm not concerned with the hypopneas anymore. Its the CA's that seem to show up more towards morning that I would like to reduce. Not sure why they cluster towards morning but would like to cut them down if its possible.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Little Olive - Therapy Adventure Little Olive 55 963 1 minute ago
Last Post: stevew168
  First time therapy, settings and progress Schernenk 51 712 04-14-2024, 07:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  johnathanb76 - Therapy Help In Migrating to a Resmed johnathanb76 27 471 04-14-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: johnathanb76
  sleepingbetterinFl - Therapy Thread sleepingbetterinFl 82 479 04-13-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Wjg's Therapy Thread wjg1 35 801 04-12-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: wjg1
  OviBerger - AC11 Therapy OviBerger 3 95 04-09-2024, 09:53 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 34 2,744 04-08-2024, 03:26 PM
Last Post: IanD

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.