Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Newly diagnosed and I have some questions
RE: Newly diagnosed and I have some questions
Ash, welcome to the forum. Your sleep test shows a positional apnea, with a significant reduction when not in the supine position. As a vet, you understand a lot about the respiratory system and how position and anatomy can affect the airway (especially with brachycephalic breeds) . At Apnrea Board, we have done a lot of thinking about how sleeping position affects the airway, and have a substantial base of anecdotal information that suggests a lot of obstruction can be eliminated by means of positional therapy. As examples, please consider reading our wiki on Positional Apnea, http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...onal_Apnea and also the Soft Cervical Collar wiki in my signature links.

What we have found is that CPAP is an important therapy, but that many individual also benefit from positional therapy, specifically, no allowing flexion of the neck that obstructs the airway. I have personally come to the conclusion that sleeping supine is a myth, and the real cause of positional apnea is "chin-tucking". Certainly there are mechanisms at play in supine sleeping, but I don't think they apply to you any more than they do to most of our members the experience positional apnea in spite of using CPAP therapy. I mention this to encourage you to consider alternatives to the inflatable device on your back. Give it some thought, and I'd be interested to hear what you come up with.

CPAP achieves its efficacy by stenting the airway against tissue impingement, and also enhances oxygenation through PEEP (positive end expiratory pressure) and improves ventilation, driving down CO2. If you can resolve obstruction, and maintain your SpO2 needs without CPAP, that is one less thing to worry about in your life, and CPAP can be as disruptive to sleep as mild apnea, so you may indeed not perceive any positive benefits from therapy. You can self-monitor if your needs change by purchasing an inexpensive recording oximeter, and periodically wear it at night. If anything changes, you will be the first to know. Good luck, and if you ever decide to try CPAP, be sure to check back here for a machine recommendation. The Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset CPAP is by far your best choice for comfort and effectiveness.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  EPR questions juniper 7 284 04-19-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New - so many questions Matsu1 7 405 04-18-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: Matsu1
  Surgery questions sarahsleeps 8 207 04-16-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: coffee9724
Smile Questions for newly diagnosed Schernenk 25 757 04-09-2024, 09:13 PM
Last Post: Schernenk
Question [Equipment] Airsense 11 Questions tblaster 2 172 04-02-2024, 12:35 PM
Last Post: tblaster
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 261 03-27-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Just Diagnosed - Advice Required on What to Purchase Dazkd1969 0 124 03-27-2024, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Dazkd1969

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.