Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Advice on UARS treatment that’s not working
Advice on UARS treatment that’s not working
I was diagnosed with UARS (30 airway narrowings / hour) and prescribed an APAP. After getting a full-face mask strapped tightly and trying different pressures, I still sometimes wake up by choking / being overheated / feeling abnormally hungry. But the APAP always shows AHI < 1.0. I set pressure to 6.6, was prescribed 6.0.

On days without choking, the headaches are gone, but I still can’t sleep uninterrupted, stay mentally sharp for hours, or lose weight normally. I've attached a couple of OSCAR charts. Any suggestions on what to do next? Thanks in advance.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Advice on UARS treatment that’s not working
Based on what you have shown, UARS is not your problem, at least not at these settings, first look at sleep hygiene, then other things. Apnea/UARS is not the only thing that can cause your symptoms.
Post Reply Post Reply
You should post full nights of data using screenshot function. Some of the links in Gideon can help explain it.

You could try increasing pressure to 8 cm for a while to see if that has any effect (positive or negative).
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-01-2022, 01:21 PM)Geer1 Wrote: You should post full nights of data using screenshot function. Some of the links in Gideon can help explain it.

You could try increasing pressure to 8 cm for a while to see if that has any effect (positive or negative).

Here are some full screenshots. 2 days with choking / overheating and one day without.

On a good day I wake up after 7 hrs, later need a 0.5 - 1.5 hr nap. If I eat 400 kcals less in a day to lose weight + solve this for good, I sleep 4 hr / meal / 4 hr / 1 hr. 

I've tried lots of pressures, but will try again with the tight seal I have now, thanks. 

[attachment=40342][attachment=40340][attachment=40341]
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-01-2022, 01:21 PM)Geer1 Wrote: You should post full nights of data using screenshot function.

Attached.

(03-01-2022, 01:11 PM)Gideon Wrote: Based on what you have shown, UARS is not your problem, at least not at these settings, first look at sleep hygiene, then other things.  Apnea/UARS is not the only thing that can cause your symptoms.

Thank you. I posted some full-night screenshots in the previous message. 

I'll try resetting to a normal sleep schedule again, but it always gets thrown off if I eat 400 kcal less in a day to lose weight and solve this for good. I wake up after 4 hrs, earlier than I should after a given meal.

If that doesn't work, I'll escalate to the doctor again.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 15 469 Yesterday, 12:40 PM
Last Post: Humancyclone7
  New to BiPAP, hoping for titration assistance? (Probable UARS) Easing5319 15 1,140 04-17-2024, 05:43 PM
Last Post: jkossis
  PSG Results: Could this be UARS? deebob 260 18,365 04-17-2024, 01:48 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 50 2,169 04-16-2024, 02:57 AM
Last Post: SingleH
Question Please help interpret data to improve treatment length during the night GalaxyPast 3 145 04-14-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: GalaxyPast
  OSCAR advice juniper 7 176 04-12-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Any Central Sleep Apnea receiving treatment other than CPAP, ASV? ivan007 0 124 04-07-2024, 06:19 AM
Last Post: ivan007

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.