Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] No success and no hope
RE: No success and no hope
South523,

Let's see what others say about the following: try instead of full 1 point changes going via 0.5 steps, technically it'll be 0.4 or 0.6 but the idea behind this is a bit less steep of increased pressure per change. Just an idea I had to help ease you into the higher levels and reduce air swallowed.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If your settings are what your post infers, then the person that set it up is clueless. We CAN help. Let's start from the beginning and do an auto-titration and look at the results. EPAP min 4.0, EPAP max 15, PS min 3.0, PS max 15.0. I bet we can get to a good place pretty quickly... Be sure to download #Sleepyhead so we can see the results.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok ... will do and THANK YOU! I'll start back over the weekend as I took a pretty extended break after getting totally demotivated about the issues I was facing and packed up the machine. I'll report back with some data/images (already have SleepyHead) soon using your recommendation below as the starting point.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleep rider,

As discussed ... I lowered and/or increased my pressures across the board according to your recommendation: EPAP min 4.0, EPAP max 15, PS min 3.0, PS max 15.0 and rode with that for three nights. Attaching those three data images. Let me know what you think. Looks pretty uneventful but not sure what I'm looking at actually.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-04-2019, 07:34 PM)south523 Wrote: Sleep rider,

As discussed ... I lowered and/or increased my pressures across the board according to your recommendation: EPAP min 4.0, EPAP max 15, PS min 3.0, PS max 15.0 and rode with that for three nights. Attaching those three data images. Let me know what you think. Looks pretty uneventful but not sure what I'm looking at actually.

The numbers look great, but how do you feel? how was the bloating ? how did you sleep ?
Post Reply Post Reply
The default ASV setup resulted in what is essentially zero AHI. The numbers just don't get better. Your total therapy time is less than 5-hours per night, so until you sleep more it's going be difficult to feel good, as this is simply not enough rest. Jaswilliams asked the question of the day, how do you feel? From here, we want to identify factors that affect your comfort or result in sleep disruption...there is nothing to improve in the settings other than that.

How does this compare with results you were seeing prior to the new settings?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you both immensely for being so helpful and responsive!!

Totally need more sleep on the machine ... those three nights I wake up after exactly 4.5 to 5 hours (no full awakenings in-between) and take the mask off as my nose is starting to get a little sore (that's been improving each night though), but I return to sleep for another 2-3 additional hours minus the machine. Bloating is limited to manageable and varies day-to-day but nothing compared to what I've experienced in the past at much higher pressures. That in and of itself is hopeful since i know at least I'll be able to provide my body with some level of restful sleep and not have to face the bloating the next day.

All that said, I feel like sh*t ... in fact, yesterday I literally could not stay awake at work and was nodding off and yawning uncontrollably the first three to four hours of the day. Today - not falling asleep against my will but am still very much exhausted. This could all be related to insufficient sleep on the machine ... I will achieve 7-8 hours and commit to 60-90 days once the duration reaches that point and see what happens then.

I'll look back at previous data since I haven't erased it off the card (I think it's still available), but the numbers i think were more than this at the higher pressures, which may have been due to being inflated like a cheap inner tube. 

Does it strike anyone as odd that without any tweaks and by just putting the machine at the defaults, we've virtually eliminated events/obstructions and perfected my respiration/flow rate? I've often wondered if I'm being scammed ... doubt you could get something through the insurance like that but who knows ...
Post Reply Post Reply
The Resmed ASV is a brilliant machine when left to do its thing and I often have nights with an AHI of 0.0 now you need to concentrate on sleeping longer. I would never recommend going back to sleep without the machine as you then undo the good work you have done and your body never fully gets used to sleeping with the machine
Post Reply Post Reply
Perseverence is my regiment's motto.  [Lord Strathcona's Horse (Royal Canadians)]  You should allow to yourself that your machine has you dialed-in.  Your therapy is working wonderfully.  Now you must figure out how to get the most benefit, and quickly!!!  This won't be accomplished by removing the headgear partway through the therapeutic session, which should be from bedtime to rising.  Adjust the straps if it will help with the pressure point(s).  Fiddle a bit here and there so that you feel you are in control and are customizing your therapy and your experience of it.  Each time you give yourself, and the machine, credit for helping you, you'll relax a bit more, get more comfortable, and begin to use the device as it was designed, and prescribed, to be used.

Now, how do you feel 'bout dat no success and no hope baloney?  Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-05-2019, 02:41 PM)mesenteria Wrote: Perseverence is my regiment's motto.  [Lord Strathcona's Horse (Royal Canadians)]  You should allow to yourself that your machine has you dialed-in.  Your therapy is working wonderfully.  Now you must figure out how to get the most benefit, and quickly!!!  This won't be accomplished by removing the headgear partway through the therapeutic session, which should be from bedtime to rising.  Adjust the straps if it will help with the pressure point(s).  Fiddle a bit here and there so that you feel you are in control and are customizing your therapy and your experience of it.  Each time you give yourself, and the machine, credit for helping you, you'll relax a bit more, get more comfortable, and begin to use the device as it was designed, and prescribed, to be used.

Now, how do you feel 'bout dat no success and no hope baloney?  Big Grin

You made me laugh Dielaughing and inspired me all at the same time ... very well done. Knowing these things I'm committed to ensuring it stays on all night, every night. I have two little kids and I hate being a carbon copy of the dad they deserve. My new motto ... Always on whilst being down ...  Smile

(02-05-2019, 01:45 PM)jaswilliams Wrote: The Resmed ASV is a brilliant machine when left to do its thing and I often have nights with an AHI of 0.0 now you need to concentrate on sleeping longer. I would never recommend going back to sleep without the machine as you then undo the good work you have done and your body never fully gets used to sleeping with the machine

Roger ... will not be removing anymore and will concentrate on a solid 8 hours plugged in.  Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help - 1 year CPAP - not success - help very welcome! leono85 41 2,623 03-25-2024, 09:32 AM
Last Post: Macka
Arrow Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here SuperSleeper 1,364 626,005 03-24-2024, 07:19 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Has anyone had success with ONLY a soft cervical collar? ranvanman 7 549 02-26-2024, 09:49 AM
Last Post: ranvanman
Cool Success story. ASV - switched from full face to nasal mask 00derek 2 903 11-25-2023, 06:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] Change to BIPAP vauto in hope for better therapy Dave Water 41 2,942 05-24-2023, 06:36 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Another Collar Success Story MickTravis 12 1,843 04-02-2023, 08:44 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  what's the best pricing to hope for Resmed 11 Dave W 3 488 03-08-2023, 01:38 PM
Last Post: jeffpack1957

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.