Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] OSCAR Analysis
OSCAR Analysis
Hello, I was wondering if anyone could help me out with my CPAP data from last night. It was my second night using the machine, and on the first night I had an AHI of only 1.14 compared to 6.65 last night. My sleep apnea diagnosis was a 12.1 AHI iirc. Thank you in advance!

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: OSCAR Analysis
I see 2 things I would look at. 

First it looks like you had a little bit of positional apnea. Positional apnea is when you sleep in a position where you cut off your own airway by dropping your chin down to your Sternum. You can not help this by changing pressure. You have to find out why you get into that position and stay out of it. Many times it is sleeping on your back or on to high of a Pillow. 

It is not serious and not a high concern but something to watch and that could be very likely the reason for your increase of AHI.

The second thing I would do is to raise your min to 7 and EPR to 3. If not the EPR is not really working as it should. EPR (exhale pressure relief) is used to make it easier to exhal and fight flow limits. The absolute lowest the pap machine can go is 4. 

Min 5 EPR 3 would be exhale 4 because it cannot go below 4. Min7 EPR3 would be exhale 4.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: OSCAR Analysis
Wow, thank you very much! It's extremely helpful to have someone explain all of this for a newcomer. It's interesting that you mention the positional apnea, it definitely makes a lot of sense now that I think about it. When my symptoms got really bad I began sleeping on my stomach, I wonder if that could have anything to do with keeping my chin and such in place.

And as far as the EPR setting goes, that makes a lot of sense. My sleep doctor didn't really explain much of the mechanics of the machine so that is good to know. Thanks for the reply!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Oscar Help - Analysis after 3 Weeks, Improvements! ef8mk 7 319 03-24-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: ef8mk
  New and in Need OSCAR Analysis Well Marbled 1 65 1,397 03-23-2024, 12:34 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 200 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Help with Oscar Analysis SleepyinMD 0 144 03-07-2024, 10:04 AM
Last Post: SleepyinMD
  Screenshot analysis yankees123 10 367 01-31-2024, 05:40 PM
Last Post: yankees123
  erqq - CPAP Analysis erqq 16 867 01-29-2024, 02:31 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Clementine39 - Therapy Analysis Clementine39 2 251 01-26-2024, 11:32 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.