Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Where to post Oscar screenshots for review?
RE: Where to post Oscar screenshots for review?
Thank you Dormeo for the helpful explanations. 

From your message, I gather that upping the EPR will hopefully reduce the flow limitations spikes I'm noticing on my plots, by making it easier to inhale?  Is that correct?

It seems that flow limitations are correlated to obstructive apnea events, which makes sense. Are flow limitations the manifestations of OAs? If so, wouldn't increasing the therapeutic pressure be effective against flow limitations by "overcoming" the obstruction?  Why focus on EPR?

Thanks
Koopas
Post Reply Post Reply
EPR reduces your exhale pressure for example min 9 EPR 3 - inhale pressure 9 exhale pressure 6. Making it much easier to exhale. It was made for that but we also found it helps decrease flow limits. And Flow Limits are apnea and FL are what raises pressure on a ResMed.

So it does several things.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
EPAP or Exhale pressures what treats And heads off OA events

IPAP, Inhale pressure or simply Pressure n CPAPs treats flow limits and hypopneas

Pressure Support is the difference between inhale and exhale pressures. Therapeutic EPR fits on this category.

Without EPR or Pressure Support, or the ability to increase these, iPAP or pressure is used to fight flow limits and hypopneas.

Pressures of 4 and 5 are considered pediatric pressures by many. And many adults have complaints about breathing thru a straw or being air starved and are removing the masks to breathe. 7 is the min pressure where all values of EPR will work all the time. The actual formula is min =4+EPR for EPR to work.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi all,

I'm back. Following the friendly advice dispensed, I bumped up my min pressure from 5 to 7 and EPR from 0 to 1. I do find a little easier to exhale - should have made that change 7 years ago! HA!

I've attached last night's OSCAR plot for your review. Do you recommend any more tweaks? 

I'm a little concerned about the reported 3 mins spent in Apnea. Isn't that enough to kill someone???

Thanks for the help!  You folks are awesome.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Don't worry about TTIA, if it was 3 minutes all at once that would be a bit of a problem, but it's not. It's 10-15 seconds here and 10-15 seconds there spread out.

Your numbers are great. Because you got some relief from EPR=1 and you pressure is still being driven by flow limits
Try EPR=2, then tell us which feels better, EPR=1 or 2?
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, EPR should reduce your FLs -- and already has.  FLs are like OAs in one way, because they both involve reductions in the airflow through your airway.  An increase in your pressure without EPR might help some with FLs, but EPR is more effective.  It gives you a boost right as you begin to inhale, supporting your breathing effort.
Post Reply Post Reply
You can go up slowly but my guess you will end up at
Min8
EPR3
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
the back end of each peak in your pressure curve is usually a nice long ski slope, ending at its lowest point (which your chart shows is still above the minimum you have set)  The lurching in pressure is due to the flow limitations that begin to occur in a less-gentle way that shows as a steep, sometimes high, peak.

If you want to reduce the amount of lurching in this pressure chart, you may want to set your minimum (EPAP = exhale pressure) high enough to "shorten your skiing time" so you don't get back into that rougher climb-y activity.

From Nov 27 chart, you'll see the two tallest peaks were climbed as a result of stuff happening when ski time ended at 00:40 and 06:30, where the EPAP was about 6.4.

To shorten the skiing, you would raise the EPAP to above that value (check multiple nights and see how consistent it is).  On Nov 24, for example, you would notice that is about 7.0.  What this suggests to me is that the logical EPAP minimum would be more like 7.6 to artificially bottom out the ski slope in hope that would not bring on much boosting.

With EPR of 1 set, your pressure would be 8.6 and the EPAP would be 7.6,

I know that is a bit more that the current 7.0 pressure, so if you wanted to give it a go, you might work the pressure up by 0.6 per night (7.6, then 8.2, followed by 8.6), and then hold for a while to see what that does for your comfort, your sleep satisfaction, and the snores and flow limitations.

QAL
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 9 164 Yesterday, 12:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Arrow Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here SuperSleeper 1,364 626,072 03-24-2024, 07:19 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
Question [Diagnosis] First post-CPAP visit to Sleep Doc - What to talk about? FlyAU98 6 188 03-23-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  New to OSCAR..Please Help me understand the data. *screenshots attached* Cowboys77 0 91 03-19-2024, 05:52 AM
Last Post: Cowboys77
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 165 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  r4robin - Therapy Thread (Help with BiLevel settings-post #5) r4robin 42 1,838 03-11-2024, 01:26 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  First Post - Help with Settings Ideas jrudicel 3 173 03-10-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: jrudicel

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.