Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Optimizing treatment for mild / positional apnea? (Charts included in post)
Optimizing treatment for mild / positional apnea? (Charts included in post)
Hi everyone, new forum user here.  I am 27 years old and have been using CPAP for 4 years to treat a case of mild / positional sleep apnea.  My untreated AHI was measured as 6.2 overall but 21.7 in the supine position, 1.0 on my left side, and 0 the rest of the time.  I have been using a CPAP pressure of 5.0 and usually have an AHI around 0.8 and wake up feeling refreshed, but I have been dealing with side effects like nasal dryness, sore throat, and dry mouth.  I tried using a full face mask for a little while but never really felt comfortable having both my nose and mouth covered, although it did help with the dry mouth.  Are there any CPAP alternatives worth pursuing in my case?  If not is there anything I should change about my CPAP therapy to make it more comfortable or even more effective?  I am not overweight, but would losing weight help at all?  Please see the attached sleep report and sleepyhead charts, I can post more if they would be useful.  Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Optimizing treatment for mild / positional apnea? (Charts included in post)
If you bought a soft cervical collar it might help with the dry mouth. It helps by nudging the jaw close and preventing air from escaping out of your mouth.

They run 10 to 15 dollars on Amazon. You might also want to increase your pressure to 7cm and turn on C flex to step 2. This should make breathing a little easier.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Gross [Treatment] Successful Treatment... Still Significant Struggle TiredTim 0 45 Yesterday, 07:01 PM
Last Post: TiredTim
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 7 118 Yesterday, 12:48 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 100 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 349 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Arrow Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here SuperSleeper 1,364 625,871 03-24-2024, 07:19 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 609 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
Question [Diagnosis] First post-CPAP visit to Sleep Doc - What to talk about? FlyAU98 6 186 03-23-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.