Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Oscar data help bipap
RE: Oscar data help bipap
I am feeling better with ASV but if I can't sleep more than 5 hours I end up feeling exhausted by end of day. Do you know how I can bring it to attention to more folks I am out of ideasSad
Post Reply Post Reply
I have mixed apnea. when I use asv I have to cap ipap or the machine will raise pressure as high as settings allow. that leads to leaks, aerophagia, arousals, awakenings and less than restorative sleep. my lips are forced open by the air flow; this is gross but I'd wake to find drool spattered by high pressure across my face, even with a soft cervical collar (bearded so I can't tape, the chin strap I tried was useless and I'm still trying to train my tongue to stay at the roof of my mouth). solution: reduce max ipap.

asv needs a relatively high ps/ipap (max epap + max ps = max ipap) to trigger a breath when you don't, so this may or may not work for you. in my case I found that I don't need such high pressure to control my ca. several things to play with to reduce pressure. first, you can reduce max ps until you see a bunch more ua (central in this case). the minimum possible ps setting is 0-5cmw so at your current min ps of 3 the lowest max will go is 8. I'd approach this 1cmw at a time beginning with max ps & moving on to min ps if you're still good after getting down to max 8. second, you can lower your epap to the extent you start seeing a bunch more ua (obstructive apnea in this case). idk if your hypopnea tend to be obstructive or central but watch for these increasing as well. third, you can limit the epap range in asvauto mode by setting min = max or switch to asv mode with a single set epap (set to whatever pressure you need to control oa).

if you truly need higher pressure, these won't work and you're faced with figuring out how to keep your lips/mouth closed more effectively (which you should keep working on under any circumstances). otoh, maybe you'll be lucky and like me discover asv will handle your ca at lower max ps and solve your open lips/mouth and drooling.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-24-2021, 03:11 PM)sheepless Wrote: I have mixed apnea. when I use asv I have to cap ipap or the machine will raise pressure as high as settings allow. that leads to leaks, aerophagia, arousals, awakenings and less than restorative sleep. my lips are forced open by the air flow; this is gross but I'd wake to find drool spattered by high pressure across my face, even with a soft cervical collar (bearded so I can't tape, the chin strap I tried was useless and I'm still trying to train my tongue to stay at the roof of my mouth). solution: reduce max ipap.

asv needs a relatively high ps/ipap (max epap + max ps = max ipap) to trigger a breath when you don't, so this may or may not work for you. in my case I found that I don't need such high pressure to control my ca. several things to play with to reduce pressure. first, you can reduce max ps until you see a bunch more ua (central in this case). the minimum possible ps setting is 0-5cmw so at your current min ps of 3 the lowest max will go is 8. I'd approach this 1cmw at a time beginning with max ps & moving on to min ps if you're still good after getting down to max 8. second, you can lower your epap to the extent you start seeing a bunch more ua (obstructive apnea in this case). idk if your hypopnea tend to be obstructive or central but watch for these increasing as well. third, you can limit the epap range in asvauto mode by setting min = max or switch to asv mode with a single set epap (set to whatever pressure you need to control oa).

if you truly need higher pressure, these won't work and you're faced with figuring out how to keep your lips/mouth closed more effectively (which you should keep working on under any circumstances). otoh, maybe you'll be lucky and like me discover asv will handle your ca at lower max ps and solve your open lips/mouth and drooling.

Thanks alot for your comment. The one part I was not sure I understood was playing with settings.

Were you suggesting I start with min ps at 0 and max 5 then move my way up to 3 and 8. Or Were you suggesting working my way from 8 and 3 down? I had been already suggested to use 15 as max ps and so going to 8 was my attempt to go low. Apologies if I didn't understand your suggestion
Post Reply Post Reply
What setting groups have you tried? Mode? EPAP? PS? Show an OSCAR.

If you use ASV Auto mode, you get EPAP and PS, both are ranges, if only ASV mode, EPAP is static while PS is still a range.

If you've not done so, maybe try ResMed's titration process.

[attachment=31725]
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's possible your problems stem from high pressure so I'm suggesting working your way down from present settings to see if you can get away with less pressure without significantly increasing ahi. assuming you're at your present settings for a reason. otherwise, you might do as Dave suggests and work from the default settings and follow resmed's asv titration protocol (which can be found on this site).

edited to add: if you know you need at least 6cmw epap to combat oa and if you want to try this, my suggestion is to first reduce max ps 1cmw at a time, resting 2 days or more between each incremental reduction, noting what effects you see and feel. as you reduce this setting, watch for increasing ahi (ua: likely ca in this case); stop decreasing and go back up incrementally until ahi stabilizes.

if you don't know what epap setting you need to deal with oa, start instead by incrementally reducing min epap from 6cmw until you see an increase in ahi (ua: likely oa in this case), then incrementally bump back up until ahi stabilizes.

if you're up for it, start there and post results and your impressions and we'll reevaluate.

much of this will turn on how you feel and how you prioritize ahi vs the possibility of solving the drooling problem. you're going to have to be lucky to find you can handle lower pressure support without substantially increasing ca. if not so lucky, you might have to compromise: reducing drooling at the cost of higher ahi or maintaining a lower ahi and having to find other means to address the drooling. and frankly, successfully reducing pressure still may not solve the problem. I think there's some logic to this but everyone is a little different and all things cpap require trial and error to find out what works anyway.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-24-2021, 06:08 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: What setting groups have you tried? Mode? EPAP? PS? Show an OSCAR.

If you use ASV Auto mode, you get EPAP and PS, both are ranges, if only ASV mode, EPAP is static will PS is still a range.

If you've not done so, maybe try ResMed's titration process.

Thanks Dave, I am confused what you mean show an Oscar. This thread was filled with my Oscar charts and modes used. I has previously started with default settings that are mentioned in guide you pointed out. I use ASVauto. I am now down from min ps 3 and max ps 15 to min ps 3 and max ps 8 with epap around 6 min to 8 max. My AHI is still low 0.4 max it's the drooling that troubles me. Let me know which data you wanted me to attach further not present in this thread?
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-24-2021, 06:47 PM)sheepless Wrote: It's possible your problems stem from high pressure so I'm suggesting working your way down from present settings to see if you can get away with less pressure without significantly increasing ahi. assuming you're at your present settings for a reason. otherwise, you might do as Dave suggests and work from the default settings and follow resmed's asv titration protocol (which can be found on this site).

Thank you. Do you know if min ps 3 and max 8 is considered high.

My current settings are 6 min epap and 8 max epap with ps 3 and 8. I feel this is already low yet drooling is there and won't make me sleep more than few hours. I could try to go lower but not sure how this will help further?
Post Reply Post Reply
let's back up a minute. from your screenshots I had you at epap 6-8, ps 3-11, max ipap 19. do I have that wrong?
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-24-2021, 09:02 PM)sheepless Wrote: let's back up a minute. from your screenshots I had you at epap 6-8, ps 3-11, max ipap 19. do I have that wrong?

The epap remains the same, what has changed since is that I put my ps now between 3 to 8
Post Reply Post Reply
My asking for an OSCAR was based on this first post page 4 where you're saying your now on ASV but not gaining more sleep and the feeling of well rested. I wanted to see the sleep data with the ASV as there's likely setting edits needing to be done.

The last one I saw, the pie chart and calendar were blocking more important ASV setting info. I prefer to see data when helping adjust the ASV.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  oscar data sleeper2460 0 53 Yesterday, 09:13 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  New user OSCAR data after one week Everlong 2 107 03-26-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Everlong
  Current OSCAR Data Tylermdugan 0 67 03-26-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: Tylermdugan
  Need help with OSCAR data Abhi 5 405 03-26-2024, 05:31 AM
Last Post: BigWing
  First night done, now what? (OSCAR data attached) Stephaniea0213 5 146 03-20-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 148 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Analyzing OSCAR DATA givememyusername 3 174 03-20-2024, 06:02 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.