Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Oxygen use with an ASV machine - What is the correct oxygen setting.
Oxygen use with an ASV machine - What is the correct oxygen setting.
My Equipment:
Machine/Concentrator:I use a full face mask with my new ASV machine. The doctor has ordered 2L of oxygen to go with the machine. The DME supplied the adapter so the oxygen is delivered as part of the air coming from the machine.
My concentrator produces 90-99% oxygen 1L-5L/min.
Now my intelligence tells me that 2L is standard starting point if you are on a cannula (nose hose).

Now, the full face mask has a vent (during in-hale) that is about 12L per minute. Inspiration time 2seconds volume 400ml. That means 12L/30=400ml +400ml for in-hale = 800ml of 20% air and 2L/30=67ml of 90%. This would then mean that the 90% oxygen is being diluted to 25.4% oxygen.

At 5L/min oxygen: 12L/30=400ml +400ml for in-hale = 800ml of 20% air and 5L/30=167ml of 90%. This would then mean that the 90% oxygen is being diluted to 31.3% oxygen.

What is considered too high or too low or just right for someone that has 50 corrected apneas/hour with a blood oxygen of 87% or lower during apneas.

Consider that I live at 6000ft, the percent of oxygen remains the same, but the amount of molecules because of pressure difference is 25% less as well.

Thank you for your response.
Mark
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Oxygen use with an ASV machine - What is the correct oxygen setting.
My O2 Rx is the same. My doc warned me not to increase the O2 flow.
One risk associated with increased O2 flow is a collapsed lung.
O2 is pulled across the lung membrane in the avioli very quickly as hemoglobin the the blood attaches to it for transport.
This rapid decrease in gas volume can cause a spontaneous pneumothorax.

I would not mess with the flow.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi mpeter7734,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more answers to your question.
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the info. Yes, my wife warned me that too much oxygen can cause veins to collapse and even lungs if way too much. I have a CMS50D+ oximeter ordered and to be here tomorrow. With that, I should be able to see what my saturation level is through out the night. I will post the results once I use it. My AHI is 0 to 1. So I am happy with that, but I just don't know if the corrected apneas are actually exchanging air or just moving air between my lungs and throat/mouth. With 0 to 1, I would think I would feel a lot better than I do.

trish6hundred: How do you like the nasal pillow? I have never tried it but was told it could be uncomfortable because it pushes the nose up to get a seal.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Not Sure if Setting Changes Helping - Help Appreciated! WiscoKate 6 148 03-25-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: WiscoKate
  Setting time and date on Resmed Airsense 10 cmadon 42 32,170 03-08-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Oxygen levels below 90% for 7% of night and below 94% for 34% inspite of Bipap bhavintu79 14 668 03-08-2024, 05:06 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  AirSense 10 Max Pressure setting Tomt 13 855 03-04-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Tomt
  AirMini with Oxygen darral.freund 2 916 02-08-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: darral.freund
  ResMed AirSense 11 + ClimateLine 11 Heated Tubing + Oxygen YankeeLaker 2 355 01-22-2024, 08:17 PM
Last Post: YankeeLaker
  Air Sense 11 - Pressure Setting goblue2024 3 424 01-10-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: dataq1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.