Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] PAP effects on the heart
PAP effects on the heart
I know there are positive cardiac benefits associated with treating sleep apnea with PAP.

PAP pressures are measured in cm-H2O; and 1 cm-H2O = 0.73mm-Hg.
So, are we not increasing the pressure that the right ventricle must work against; and increasing the filling pressure into the left atrium?

If the above is true, have there been any studies on how this impacts cardiac health?
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: PAP effects on the heart
I don't see any way that the air pressure can reach the heart. There is no direct pathway from either the windpipe or the esophagus to the heart. The pressure may affect the lungs and can certainly affect the stomach (i.e., aerophagia), but I don't see how the pressure can affect the heart.
Post Reply Post Reply
Considering average blood pressure is 120/80 mmHg, even if it were to transmit directly to the blood pressure a 0.73 mmHg per cmH20 still falls within normal blood pressure variation during the day (at 20 cmH2O it only amounts to ~14 mmHg).

Perhaps if you're already borderline hypertensive (high blood pressure), it could be an issue, but I think the cardiac benefits of CPAP far outweigh what minor impacts PAP induced pressure could have on blood pressure.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The heart probably does have to pump a bit harder and increase pressure to deal with the increased pressure in the lungs. I suspect it's pretty insignificant vs. the damage done by untreated apnea.

There was a study that claimed that hypoxia associated with untreated sleep apnea increases the vascularization of the heart which gives some benefit sometime when a blood vessel in the heart gets blocked. Treating the apnea with CPAP actually does reduce this effect. I believe the overall benefit to the heart far outweighs this risk, because apnea tends to increase blood pressure and stress.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
My doctor told me that my heart was working harder during periods of apnoea sleep than it was when I was just seated or lying down awake and rested. He said the strain on the heart during the periods of apnoea was quite deadly and in the old days, before apnoea was really studied and treated with machines, many a middle-aged and older person died in their sleep due to a prolonged apnoea episode. They were the folks we used to say "died the best way"...or..."they went peacefully in their sleep". Well NO THANKS! I prefer breathing! Smile My doctor said that if anything my heart health would improve once I was on a machine and took some dietary precautions as well.

I wouldn't worry about machine pressure hurting you heart. As someone pointed out...air pressure in the lungs cannot leach through to the heart.
Post Reply Post Reply
Makes sense, Stroppy. High blood pressure is a key symptom of untreated sleep apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply
See the following link for a list of cardiac problems associated with untreated sleep apnea. Some of these associations have shown to be causal in nature (for some of them, the causal link has not been established): http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/721684
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-07-2014, 09:09 AM)NickDanger Wrote: Makes sense, Stroppy. High blood pressure is a key symptom of untreated sleep apnea.

I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnoea and I am overweight and any time the doc took my blood pressure pre-apnoea diagnosis it was always normal so for me my blood pressure was not indicative of apnoea.

The doc also explained to me that an apnoea episode triggers the release of adrenalin in the blood stream.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 108 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  CPAP Side Effects Tylermdugan 6 439 03-18-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  [Equipment] O2 ring/weird heart rate/no other symptoms jdavis 6 192 03-09-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Sleep study heart rate 250 bpm phoebesalva 5 409 01-13-2024, 12:55 PM
Last Post: phoebesalva
  waking up every 15 minutes and heart shedu1337 11 896 12-26-2023, 06:38 AM
Last Post: shedu1337
Question Any thoughts on why my heart rate increases when using CPAP? hejohoo 2 833 12-17-2023, 06:58 PM
Last Post: stargazing
  heart palpitations starting CPAP: temporary? acordeon 4 633 12-14-2023, 08:49 PM
Last Post: acordeon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.