Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Question about Insp. Time
Question about Insp. Time
Following advice I changed the pressure from 16/12 to 16/13. I changed start ramp pressure from 8 to 9 because I felt I was not getting enough air during the start of ramp. The change to start ramp pressure helped. The DME changed the mask from F20 large to F20 medium on Thursday. The leaks are high but getting better. 
My question has to do with Insp. Time. It is set to 2.0, I have noticed the pressure support dropping before I have finished breathing in. SleepyHead shows 95% insp. rate is 2.00.
Should I increase the Insp. Time, if so how much?

Again thank you for all the wonderful help provided.

[attachment=4971]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Question about Insp. Time
You can adjust the Ti Min in the clinic menu. Try increasing it a little at a time until you feel comfortable. This increases the time you spend in IPAP mode.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
When I increase Ti Min does that shorten epep time?
Post Reply Post Reply
No it just increases the time in IPAP. If you wanted to shorten the EPAP time you would decrease the rise time setting.
Download SleepyHead
Posting Charts
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
I use TiMax of 2.2. All you can do is give it a try and see if you find that more comfortable. Remember that TiMax only means the IPAP will be sustained that long unless you spontaneously cycle. If you start to exhale before that, the machine will cycle to EPAP. Your 'feeling' that the machine is turning off IPAP at 2.0 is correct. Just don't go overboard with the TiMax and increase in small increments. FYI, my 95% inspiration time is about 2.14 and max is 2.2. Median is generally less than 1.5. So my settings feel like a pretty good fit.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry I guess I got that backwards.
Download SleepyHead
Posting Charts
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-18-2018, 07:41 AM)Walla Walla Wrote: No it just increases the time in IPAP. If you wanted to shorten the EPAP time you would decrease the rise time setting.

Increasing TiMin has very little effect on most people. The default is something like 0.3 seconds and it rarely comes into play.  A significant change in TiMin might be used for someone that chronically has very short inspiration time, to encourage more time and volume in inspiration.  I have rarel seen TiMin altered for anyone on the forum.  

Rise time is the time in milliseconds that it takes for the machine to trigger from EPAP to IPAP.  Very short rise times are frequently used for people with restrictive lung disease (COPD) where longer exhale times are needed.  That seems counter-intuitive, but by filling the lung faster with a short rise time, the idea is to allow more time in expiration. I may be wrong, but I think rise-time is only adjustable on the Philips units when BiFlex is disabled.  So it's used for specialized needs, but as you note, not what we're trying to do in this thread.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your right about the Philips and rise time when the Biflex is disabled. It does work in Auto Bipap though, unlike the VAUTO.
But it doesn't matter here with a ResMed fixed pressure Bpap.
Download SleepyHead
Posting Charts
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Default rise time is 300 ms. I think I have read that with COPD a shorter rise time is recommended to decrease rise time, leaving more time for exhale.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. I will increase slowly/ Tonight I will go to 2.2

Gerry
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 0 92 03-13-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: cathyf
  TIME FOR SLEEPRIDER'S annual DST WARNING srlevine1 19 548 03-12-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Homerec130
  First time looking at graphs interpretation help smallhandsfeeding 1 227 03-11-2024, 08:12 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  Taking mask off at the same time everynight sleepyman95 2 144 03-08-2024, 12:25 AM
Last Post: sleepyman95
  Having a terrible time--please help with OSCAR Montacute 25 754 03-06-2024, 10:27 AM
Last Post: sarahsleeps
  Hard time to find the right mask labrat 42 2,174 02-14-2024, 01:58 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Pressure Variation with Time Heaviside 2 176 02-11-2024, 02:41 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.