Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Reading Oscar Charts (newbie)
Reading Oscar Charts (newbie)
I have just started with AS11 a few days ago and trying to figure out which each chart means.  I have a hard time wrapping my head around apnea and hypopnea, that I just stop breathing while I'm sleeping for however many seconds?  If I look at respiratory rate sometimes it is 2-3, if I am only breathing 2 times a minute that is scary.  I feel like the doctor gave me a script for the machine and left me to figure it out for myself which is I guess not surprising but disappointing.  They didn't even have appts for post sleep study (and even if they did it was in July). and then they called today to schedule an appt where we go over data that I bring in on my SD card.  What?  I thought they could access this stuff remotely, my machine didn't even come with an SD card (though I got one) then I tell her I've only had the machine for 4 days and she says she'll call me back after talking with my provider.

So, I have been trying to use Oscar and sleephq and got a different mask today (airfit N20 nasal mask and just figured out what the N P and F mean in the models) and a CPAP pillow (that unfortunately smells like mildew or something) and am going to try to wear for a full night.  I just find it incredibly overwelming all the information (that the drs don't give you) and how hard it is to comprehend in a sleep deprived state where I can' t focus for more than an hour on anything.

I will try to post the Oscar result tomorrow if I can keep the mask on for the full night and actually sleep!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Reading Oscar Charts (newbie)
Hi ECM5 ,  Welcome

Try posting a screenshot of your OSCAR graphs here so others can have a look at them to give you recommendations.
There are links in my signature if you need help getting started.
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here are my graphs from last night.  I'm not sure what tidal volume and minute vent and time at pressure mean but I know those aren't the most important.  There are mostly Central apneas although the score is under 5, it still freaks me out that my respiratory rate goes down to 0 per minute.  I used a new mask that seems to help but it did get wet inside, is that the humidity I can lower it?  I'm using the climate hoses.  I also wore a cervical brace or whatever it's called.  I do not feel like I slept well.  Thanks for any input!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
OP - Know that I am NOT a gold-plated expert. However, I do know a few things.

First, you are concerned about the respiration rate. I think you are reading the data incorrectly. Your chart says the median respiration rate is 16.4. And please recall that the definition of "median" is that half the readings fall above and half the readings fall below. I don't know why the Zero minimum is shown. That may be a quirk of the system.

Secondly, the principal problem is Central Apneas (sometimes called "Clear Airways"). Although CAs happen frequently while we are awake, the more consistent nature of asleep breathing means they happen less frequently when asleep. Many people have a few centrals here and there, and it is no big deal. Also, there is a phenomena called "treatment emergent" centrals -- which show up because you breathe more efficiently on PAP therapy. The urge to breathe results from excess CO2 which the body wants to remove. Patients newly on PAP therapy flush out more CO2. Thus the urge to breathe is sometimes supressed. In due time, the excess CO2 will be gone and so the "treatment emergent" centrals will go away. "Due time" varies from person to person, ranging from a couple weeks to maybe as much as 6 months.

Thirdly, the question of "false positives" arises. CAs count only if one is truly asleep. You have a cluster of CAs near the end of the night. Are you absolutely sure you were asleep then? Could that be a period of time when you were waking up -- in the grey zone between fully asleep and fully awake?

Fourthly, be aware that there are very specific definitions to the terms hypopnea, obstructive apnea, and centrals -- including time frames. For example the definition of a central is no breathing effort for 10 seconds or longer. Most people hold their breath during daily activities for 10+ seconds. So don't have a kneejerk reaction. If you look at your "events" tab in the OCSAR charts, you can see the duration. 15 seconds or less is kinda ho-hum.

Lastly, invest the time and carefully area the Apnea Board Wiki. There is a lot to be learned. With all due respect, do your homework.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the reply- yes there is definitely a LOT to learn and I have been trying to read and watch the Iscar videos etc.  The resp rate I was worried about wax going down to 2 or 3 in the zoom in of the graphs. and yes even zero, which just freaked me out.  

I did watch a video on false positives but the zoom on if graphs seem to show flat lines and normal breathing before the CAs.  I am hoping it is just treatment emergent and will go away?  At least the OAs are low.  

I had taped my mouth with a nasal mask and I don’t think they is going to work because I rip the tape off, so I’m going back to full face mask.  I have to go look at the Oscar data from a couple days ago to look at those OAs but I think there were CAs then as well.  My biggest concern is that I do not feel good at all, lightheaded and headachy and no concentration during the day but I realize I have to give it more time.  I just don’t want to make it any worse.

For example I do not even know how to post this reply, it’s like my brain is not working the way that it used to!  Now I see the button haha.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the board.... Many times EPR (exhale pressure relief) can bring on centrals because it flushes out more CO2. You have your set at the max (3). You could try reducing the EPR to 1 and see if it helps the centrals. As you get use to Cpap therapy you can raise the EPR.

The only down side of reducing EPR is that your exhale pressure will be higher. In other words it will be a little harder to breathe out but it should reduce the centrals.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
One thing to do is to zoom in on the apneas and you get an idea of what's happening. And the respiration rate being zero is just another way of saying that you are not breathing at that exact moment -- but you already know that you stop breathing for short spurts (10 seconds or more) because that's how you get diagnosed with sleep apnea!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks I lowered the EPR to 1 for tonight.  Question:  how to I edit my profile I need to change the mask I'm using and I can view the profile but can't find how to edit.

I did zoom in on the central apneas and they seem to be flat lines with normal breathing before.  I watched the video on false positives. But really I have no idea if I'm reading it right !
Post Reply Post Reply
ECM5,
Here is a direct link to edit your profile:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/usercp....on=profile
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
To edit your profile, click on the UserCP at the top of each page. Once in your Control Panel, look down the menu list on the left for, Edit Profile.

To make life easier for you, I have included a quick link to this area:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/usercp....on=profile

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newbie Q on using OSCAR for first time Tman1966 0 15 1 hour ago
Last Post: Tman1966
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 383 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 102 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 131 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 190 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 203 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 108 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.