Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Reading Oscar Charts (newbie)
RE: Reading Oscar Charts (newbie)
I think what worried me about a respiratory rate of zero or 1, is whether that means I’m not breathing for an entire minute?  There were some events that were like 44 seconds, I will have to look again though.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello ECM5.

Lots to learn!

See my attached chart from last night from the Start of my Sleep session with annotations.

[attachment=42762]
Notice that:

1. At the beginning of the sleep session the Resp Rate graph is zero for about 40 seconds. Think of this as a moving average.
2. Look at the Flow Rate Chart at the top: I am actually breathing. It takes time for the data to be gathered and give a relative value.
3. Under the Statistics page on the left hand pane, the Min Value (minimum value, not minute value) for many parameters such as Resp Rate is Zero because it reads the minimum data, which statistically is an outlier/fake news/not relevant. This can be totally ignored.

On your charts the Resp Rate graph drops in value, in response to your Sleep Related Events. These can be obstructive or Clear Airways for example, in areas where these are clustered together in short succession your Resp Rate graph will fall in value as expected.

To see the actual length of each event Click the Events Tab next to the Details tab and you can see exactly how long each event was.

Regards,

Chris
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you to everyone who replied. Last nights chart looks great (to me anyway). I wore a full face mask F20 Airfit which I love, it is the largest mask I have tried but felt like wearing nothing.  Wore the cervical collar.  Was probably on and off awake after 3 am though.  Reduced EPR to 1 and not problems with exhaling.  Oh and the min resp rate is 3 which is better than zero !!  AHI is 1.25 with 6 centrals 3 OAs and 1 unclassified. Of course it is not letting me choose a file to attach and I don't know why Sad. Does anyone have any idea why?  It's always something...

Here's the chart I figured it out

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Chris!  I think for my charts I was hoping to see a more flat line for RR and all the dips during the night (not just at the start) seem abnormal but maybe they are just part of the events.  I attached for last night it is very up and down but maybe everyone has this.  It is sometimes tied to events and sometimes just seems to vary a lot.

Post Reply Post Reply
    Chart from last night is ok but there are a few events including 44 second OSA, few centrals.  

What exactly is flow rate, why is the axis not 1-100% but -160 to +160?

Not sure what the flow limitation bumps mean if anything.

I reduced min pressure back to 4 for ramp because when I put the mask on last night it was just like air blasting in my face for some reason.  I am also not liking my F20 airlift mask at much it was tight on my nose.  I do not know if that is because I was taking it apart to see if I could order a new cushion only and figure out how to put it on.  I should have left it alone (it was not so easy to pry apart and put back together)

Anyway any input is appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
Also I had a dry mouth when I woke up
at some point in middle of night, wearing full mask so any suggestions on how to fix? Higher humidity? It is at 4. Chin strap to stop mouth breathing?
Post Reply Post Reply
The flow rate has plus and minus values because you inhale and exhale. Inhaling has positive flow, and exhaling has negative flow.

The machine has algorithms that subtract out the design venting and leakage to display the variations caused by breathing.

Flow limitation is a topic covered (I think) in the Wiki.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Can anyone comment on these CAs/OAs in a row with some strange breathing right before, could I have woken up right before them?

Post Reply Post Reply
Does anyone know why the red line for pressure would disappear but the green line for EPAP would still be there for today's chart?

Also the mask pressure line - the thickness is based on the pressure difference between exhale and inhale so if my EPR is lower the liner is thinner, is that correct?
Post Reply Post Reply
We can't see the Settings in your most recent post, but back on the 17th, you turned off the EPR. No EPR no exhale pressure line.

The green line is usually the EPAP., but there is only one line, so it doesn't really matter which colour it is.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 382 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 102 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 130 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 190 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 203 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 108 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 4 135 03-18-2024, 08:05 AM
Last Post: chronic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.