Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Recommendation for cervical collar for positional apnea
Recommendation for cervical collar for positional apnea
I've read the recommendations and guidelines provided for cervical collars (CSS) for apnea. To start, I need to clarify - I am inquiring on behalf of my husband, who is clueless about the importance of this.  Also, he used a CPAP for about 6 months, during which time he leaked heavily from both sides of his mask but didn't seem to care. He sleeps heavily regardless.  I don't. One morning I noticed he didn't have his cpap mask on and he said it was uncomfortable and wasn't going to use it any more.  I was somewhat relieved because the noise from his leakage kept me awake more even than my customary insomnia, and I didn't think he was being helped by the cpap. 
Next we tried a professionally fitted jaw advancement device, which he used for about a year, which worked somewhat.  I had him add a cervical collar, The Eliminator, after reading this forum. One night he just decided he wasn't going to use the jaw advancement device any longer - it was too uncomfortable.  So now he is only using the collar. As I have insomnia, I have been awake and observed him MANY times when he has gone into his obstructive breathing modes.  He is ALWAYS on his back.  He is a thin man, with a thin neck; thus doesn't fit the stereotype of a normal cpap patient.  I pulled out his initial sleep tracings on which was noted that he didn't have episodes when he was on his side.  Was this ever mentioned by his sleep neurologist?  No, but he did get to sell a cpap and charge for several sessions when he allegedly reviewed and reported on his sleep tracings.
   I bought him a WoodyKnows Sleeping Backpack, and even added a stiffer foam insert, because theirs is fairly soft - yet he will sleep on his back with this thing on! We have a fairly firm mattress, so I'm amazed when I see how well he sleeps on his back with the WoodyKnows on  I desperately need a sleep collar that will keep him from chin tucking under the collar, which is where we are at now.  Has anyone used a Rolyan cervical collar.  It's outrageously expensive - $108, but as I said...desperate. If I can find a sleep collar that will keep his mouth CLOSED, our problem will be solved.  And NO, he won't wear a chin strap. Like I said, clueless. He's had a minor stroke which resulted in his falling and getting brain injured, with a fairly miraculous recovery over a several month rehab period, and I'm trying to avoid a repeat on that. Sorry for the long story, but I wanted to provide the necessary background.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Recommendation for cervical collar for positional apnea
The measurement is the distance from his chin to his sternum. Many people get a collar but never measured for the correct fit.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Thats staceyburke. That helps.

MargaretS welcome to the forum!
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
I tried a couple of cervical collars that were just not at all comfortable.  Then I got the Caldera Releaf Neck Rest collar from Amazon.  I think we can do links now, so here it is:

https://www.amazon.com/Caldera-Releaf%C2...225&sr=8-6

It's not actually considered a neck brace; it's designed to keep your head up so you can sleep on a plane or in a car, things like that.  I find it way more comfortable than the three other collars I tried, and it does keep my neck from dropping.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is another one that I've seen a number of folks here recommend: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FVY...7RJ86G1J82
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you.  This looks comfortable, but I wonder about its ability to hold the neck in a position with the chin not tucked.  Can't hurt to try it, since Amazon allows returns.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am sold on the Corflex, stiff enough to prevent tucking without pressing on the trachea area. Took me a couple of tries to get the width correct but not expensive, so no big problem. I have a long skinny neck as well. The Eliminator was no where near tall enough.
Post Reply Post Reply
I got this simple one from Walgreens https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/drive-...18-product
which worked very nicely and it was only $10 or so.
Post Reply Post Reply
I cannot stand these stiff foam inserted cervical collars (like the walgreens one).  Main thing I don't like is, it triggers teeth clinching (pushing up on the jaw).   I'm trying to size down and see if it's still effective.

I think these collars helps some with flow limitations.

The one Deborah suggest looks comfortable, but not sure if it's that effective (looks like it will compress to easy).  I'm curious how well it works for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-27-2021, 01:19 PM)CorruptAlligator Wrote: The one Deborah suggest looks comfortable, but not sure if it's that effective (looks like it will compress too easily).  I'm curious how well it works for me.

It works fine for holding my chin up.  I do not notice any downward compression.  For me, It also feels way nicer against the skin than any others I tried.  We all need what works for ourselves.  I'm sure there is no one perfect collar for keeping everyone's chin up.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Data Comparison - Cervical Collar vs No Cervical Collar phoen1kx 9 217 Yesterday, 11:26 AM
Last Post: phoen1kx
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 347 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 608 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  [Pressure] Request Recommendation for a Dial Manometer Samwrites 4 118 03-24-2024, 09:59 AM
Last Post: Sleepster
  [Symptoms] Could These OSA Clusters Be Positional? Kaluni 0 82 03-18-2024, 03:42 PM
Last Post: Kaluni
  What can I do to stay on my front (positional apnea due to large tongue)? aplacelikethis 1 496 03-18-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
Thumbsup Side sleep enforcer for positional apnea G. Szabo 0 257 02-26-2024, 05:01 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.