Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Recommendation for cervical collar for positional apnea
RE: Recommendation for cervical collar for positional apnea
If his neck is skinny, then collars are going to be WAY too long. The ones that aren't too long will be for children, so not nearly tall enough. I hate it when they overlap in the back.

I cut mine apart, removed ~5 inches of foam, and sewed it back together Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a thick neck, but I also I run into issues finding my size (there's less of them out there).

I got the Caldera Releaf Neck Rest collar the other day and tried it. It barely fits my thick neck.

Caldera doesn't work so well for me. I think I have fairly strong neck strength that the Caldera collar is too weak to keep me from bending my neck. The typical cervical collars are stiff for a reason (although it's uncomfortable). Generally, I don't like anything around my neck when sleeping.

Caldera feels like a plush filled item that can be bent fairly easily with neck movement, which goes against what a proper cervical collar is intended to do.

What I noticed is that the flow limitations are slightly worse with the Caldera compared to the regular stiff foam based cervical collar. So, I think the stiff cervical collars are better for flow limitations.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the Futuro soft cervical collar. It claims to be 5 inches in height but is actually 4 inches high under the chin, maximum. I could only find them online at CVS.com. They are a bit scratchy in the fabric cover so I wrap with a small hand towel. Works perfectly for me so I bought several to stock up.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-29-2021, 10:42 AM)CorruptAlligator Wrote: I have a thick neck, but I also I run into issues finding my size (there's less of them out there).

I got the Caldera Releaf Neck Rest collar the other day and tried it.  It barely fits my thick neck.  

Caldera doesn't work so well for me.  I think I have fairly strong neck strength that the Caldera collar is too weak to keep me from bending my neck.  The typical cervical collars are stiff for a reason (although it's uncomfortable).  Generally, I don't like anything around my neck when sleeping.

Caldera feels like a plush filled item that can be bent fairly easily with neck movement, which goes against what a proper cervical collar is intended to do.

What I noticed is that the flow limitations are slightly worse with the Caldera compared to the regular stiff foam based cervical collar.  So, I think the stiff cervical collars are better for flow limitations.

Check out the VELPEAU.  The X-Large will accommodate thick necks from 16-1/2" to 18-3/4". It's reinforced as well. Might be a better match for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
@mrmagloo, thanks for the suggestion. Looks interesting, and hopefully it's stiff enough and more comfortable than the generic cervical collars. There are 4 different types, which one would be the one to get?

The comfort one may not be that different from the Caldera in terms of how well it support the neck.

I already have several soft cervical collars. I have several because I might have oversized the height initially, and started testing out lower height collars. I realized that 3 inches is likely the lowest I can go. 2.5 inches is too short.

The higher heights are most uncomfortable and bothers my jaw, but lower heights are not as effective in treating positional apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply
The only one I have tried is the dual use, which is the tan colored one, with the plastic reinforcement.  I would suspect men can only use the Large or X-Large.  I have a thick neck myself and got the X-Large.  The good thing with Amazon is, you can buy a few of them and keep the one that works, and return the rest.  Then going forward, you'll know what to order.
Post Reply Post Reply
But, X-large height is 4" I don't want anything higher than 3". They are really limiting the circumference size for the lower height collars. I need 3" with large circumference. 3" is the lowest I can go that still provides good support.
Post Reply Post Reply
Were you able to find the product on Amazon? The large can handle necks up to 16-1/2 and is 3.3" high. I don't know if that is an option, but if not, this may not be a viable option.
Post Reply Post Reply
The way it's designed, 3.3" VELPEAU didn't seem any better than a 2.5" regular collar. VELPEAU causes chin to lower more than a typical 3.3" collar. The reinforcement plastic isn't necessary either. It's not much different from a typical collar besides the way it's shaped. I recently purchased two types of 2.5" collar. One of them works better than the other. All these collars have various shapes so, I guess one may work better than another at the same size. I don't like collars that aggravate my jaw since I have TMJ.

Biggest positive change recently for me is receiving a Bravida mask. I much prefer it over the P10.
Post Reply Post Reply
If the large Velpeau collar wasn't tall enough, have you considered using the X-Large?  Just return the large if you don't like it. Ultimately you will need to test a few to figure out what works best for you. I found the generic white collars you get from the local CVS or Walgreens work fine for a short time, but after a month or so, the foam softens up to the point the support dissipates. The nice thing about that Velpeau is, that plastic avoids that, and I'm still using the same one going on 4 months now, which is a record breaker.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Data Comparison - Cervical Collar vs No Cervical Collar phoen1kx 9 216 Yesterday, 11:26 AM
Last Post: phoen1kx
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 347 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 608 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  [Pressure] Request Recommendation for a Dial Manometer Samwrites 4 118 03-24-2024, 09:59 AM
Last Post: Sleepster
  [Symptoms] Could These OSA Clusters Be Positional? Kaluni 0 82 03-18-2024, 03:42 PM
Last Post: Kaluni
  What can I do to stay on my front (positional apnea due to large tongue)? aplacelikethis 1 496 03-18-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
Thumbsup Side sleep enforcer for positional apnea G. Szabo 0 257 02-26-2024, 05:01 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.