Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Reducing hypopnea
Question 
Reducing hypopnea
Hi everyone I am new to all of this. I have had a successful start to CPAP. The sleep study showed an AHI of 88 including several CA,s. After 2 months of perseverance and 3 different machines my AHI is down to about 1. A typical reading could be AHI 0.9 AI 0.2. Therefore the majority of events are hypopnea.Does anyone know of a small tweak that may reduce the hypopnea so my AHI is almost O. Am I just being Greedy.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Reducing hypopnea
(08-12-2015, 02:32 PM)stephen D Wrote: Hi everyone I am new to all of this. I have had a successful start to CPAP. The sleep study showed an AHI of 88 including several CA,s. After 2 months of perseverance and 3 different machines my AHI is down to about 1. A typical reading could be AHI 0.9 AI 0.2. Therefore the majority of events are hypopnea.Does anyone know of a small tweak that may reduce the hypopnea so my AHI is almost O. Am I just being Greedy.

Well you are getting good treatment but it's human nature to want lower numbers. But I really can't give you a decent answer without more data.

How long are these hypopneas lasting? How many minutes or hour do you spend in apnea or hypopnea. Oh, and how are you feeling? Is the treatment helping you to feel a littl better, reasonably better, or a lot better?
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
The real question, is "How do you feel?" The goal is not some arbitrary number, it is a better quality of life with fewer major issues Smile
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
This is a case of: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
You have great numbers.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi stephen D,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It sounds like you are doing well as far as your numbers go, keep up the good work , much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-12-2015, 07:12 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi stephen D,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It sounds like you are doing well as far as your numbers go, keep up the good work , much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.

Thanks to all of you. I think I expected all the replies received. I probably could have done this 40 years ago. I knew I had sleep apnea before I had the sleep test.when I was 19 and conscripted to do national service I used to wake up with numerous boots and debris on my Bed. Yes I do feel pretty good but I have lived with this problem and functioned all my life. I am now in my 60,s and as my parents both had strokes I made this decision without any pressure. From my wife and family who have put up with a world Champion snorer all there lives. I am determined to succeed but it is still early days. I am holidaying in the the USA right now at my daughters home but as I am using the latest ResMed machine my nightly data is being transferred to my clinic in Australia and they are In touch with me via email .I have been following this forum since I started CPAP and I will continue to do so . It has been a great support .Thank-you........
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Help interpreting low AHI after reducing CPAP pressure? grrrrr 2 278 02-21-2024, 06:26 PM
Last Post: grrrrr
  HYPOPNEA verification dataq1 22 1,149 02-06-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: dataq1
  Hypopnea - Resmed scoring Opus1 22 1,113 12-03-2023, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Opus1
  CA (cluster?) events not reducing T818 62 5,772 11-09-2023, 02:33 PM
Last Post: T818
  3% vs 4% Hypopnea Scoring gohoos1998 7 1,045 10-08-2023, 06:06 PM
Last Post: gohoos1998
  [Symptoms] Rolling "flutter" sensation on apnea/hypopnea, falling asleep ewriter 0 355 09-06-2023, 09:57 AM
Last Post: ewriter
  [CPAP] What's the best CPAP for reducing RERA events Anthon 1 578 08-11-2023, 05:39 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.