Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Removing mask at night
Sad 
Removing mask at night
Hi guys,

So I have been trying to sleep with CPAP for 5 months now. I started with a Resmed Airsense 10 Auto and a Resmed F30 full face mask.

The first week was great with many +4h night, but then it started bothering me a lot and I was removing it during my sleep.

Then I switched to the Resmed P10 nasal pillow and I started getting some sleep again, but struggling to hit the 4 hour mark since I remove the mask during my sleep.

Also, many times I wake up and feel like I cannot breathe properly through the mask and have to remove it. My nose gets easily clogged even when using a rinse before bed.

These are the stats of the best night I've had recently:
[Image: xv1BCNT.png][Image: fqMXRIT.png]

And this the stats of a normal night:

[Image: TCfREnt.png][Image: mKcNCzz.png]

Thanks a lot in advance, I really do not know what to do anymore...
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Removing mask at night
Have you tried using a humidifier?
It helps keep the nose from clogging and gives a lot of extra confort.
Don't forget the obvious.[Image: bigwink.gif]
Post Reply Post Reply
Kinda hard to see the numbers, try using f12 to take the screenshot - it is formated for OSCAR.

From what I can see your min is to low.

You are set for min 5.2 with EPR 3

For your information 4 is as low as the machine can go and EPR (exhale pressure relief) Takes down the min (Exhale) by the number you have set... so now your machine should go down to 2.2 but it can not, again the lowest it can go is 4.

a normal adult needs around 8 to feel they are getting enough air on inhale.  (I take about 10 or feel air starved) SO your min must be set at 8 with an EPR of 3.  That should give you enough air so you do not want to take off the mask.  If not raise the min to 9 or whatever you need to feel you have enough air in inhale.

The setting will give you an exhale pressure of 5 Inhale pressure of 8.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum!

When we re in a doctor's care, I wish there was an emphasis on sleep quality with cpap treatment. I believe that if I have to wear all this crap It had better be comfortable, and work.
My experience was exactly the opposite before I participated here.

I move a lot in my sleep. A wonderful poster suggested that I should use something to support my hose. Otherwise it would drag on the bed when I moved, and tug on my mask. His suggestion helped me so much.

I've done this a long time. cpap I mean. I *think* that a good mask adjusted properly is a major key to good sleep. There are guides here for adjusting masks to fit right.

I used to have a DME that didn't allow me to select my mask.

I fired them. They were owned in part by the Hospital my sleep-doc-from-H_ll worked at. Conflict of Interest?

I hope this helps.

Dave
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-19-2021, 05:19 PM)Camera Obscura Wrote: Have you tried using a humidifier?

Thanks for the answer!

I tried using the humidifier setting both at 2 and 4, but they do not seem to help much, also tried nasal spray without much luck..

(02-19-2021, 05:31 PM)staceyburke Wrote: Kinda hard to see the numbers, try using f12 to take the screenshot - it is formated for OSCAR.

For your information 4 is as low as the machine can go and EPR (exhale pressure relief) Takes down the min (Exhale) by the number you have set... so now your machine should go down to 2.2 but it can not, again the lowest it can go is 4.

a normal adult needs around 8 to feel they are getting enough air on inhale.  (I take about 10 or feel air starved) SO your min must be set at 8 with an EPR of 3.  That should give you enough air so you do not want to take off the mask.  If not raise the min to 9 or whatever you need to feel you have enough air in inhale.

Thanks for the detailed answer! Will try that and see how it goes, I tried raising it to 7 but did not help much.

(02-19-2021, 05:34 PM)DaveL Wrote: Welcome to the forum!

When we re in a doctor's care, I wish there was an emphasis on sleep quality with cpap treatment.  I believe that if I have to wear all this crap It had better be comfortable, and work.
My experience was exactly the opposite before I participated here.

I move a lot in my sleep.  A wonderful poster suggested that I should use something to support my hose. Otherwise it would drag on the bed when I moved, and tug on my mask. His suggestion helped me so much.

I've done this a long time. cpap I mean. I *think* that a good mask adjusted properly is a major key to good sleep. There are guides here for adjusting masks to fit right.

I used to have a DME that didn't allow me to select my mask.

I fired them. They were owned in part by the Hospital my sleep-doc-from-H_ll worked at.  Conflict of Interest?

I hope this helps.

Dave

I have been trying multiple masks and the only one that worked is the Resmed P10 nasal pillow, but I am getting leaks at night (I guess because I open my mouth)...

What kind of hose holder are you using?
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't understand the statement normal adults need pressure of 8. I'm totally fine at 5 when I'm still awake. My doc set my low to 5 and knows I'm an adult. It's much easier for me to fall asleep at low pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
For most adults, 5 would be a too low pressure. Most doesn't mean for all. Apnea does not have any setting that I'm aware of that can or will apply for all.

Then take note you're saying 5 is fine from a sleep apnea machine if you're awake. So realistically this awake state voids consideration of what pressure you can handle with a sleep therapy machine.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-20-2021, 04:54 AM)davidtren12 Wrote:
(02-19-2021, 05:19 PM)Camera Obscura Wrote: Have you tried using a humidifier?

Thanks for the answer!

I tried using the humidifier setting both at 2 and 4, but they do not seem to help much, also tried nasal spray without much luck..

(02-19-2021, 05:31 PM)staceyburke Wrote: Kinda hard to see the numbers, try using f12 to take the screenshot - it is formated for OSCAR.

Thanks for the detailed answer! Will try that and see how it goes, I tried raising it to 7 but did not help much.

(02-19-2021, 05:34 PM)DaveL Wrote: Welcome to the forum!

I move a lot in my sleep.  A wonderful poster suggested that I should use something to support my hose. Otherwise it would drag on the bed when I moved, and tug on my mask. His suggestion helped me so much.

I hope this helps.

Dave

I have been trying multiple masks and the only one that worked is the Resmed P10 nasal pillow, but I am getting leaks at night (I guess because I open my mouth)...

What kind of hose holder are you using?

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-Hose-Boss

This is what I use. It helps me; however, I had stopped using it. @BigGuy commented, and I took his advice. He helped me a lot.

This link goes to the review section. People who post there have given me good advice, and saved me money on my path to good sleep quality while enduring this cpap thing.

Dave
DaveL

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
I advise not to stop the humidifier, it will contribute more than you think !
Don't forget the obvious.[Image: bigwink.gif]
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a humidifier turned up! And a heated hose. I don't have a hose blanket on....

I figure if I have to breath that air it better be humidified & warm as it can be...My S9E humidifier tank was too small. The S10 is better. Or maybe it's the household humidifier on the furnace now. That was because my ukulele split....to dry.
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Unable to keep mask throughout night Overdrawn 4 242 02-10-2024, 08:13 PM
Last Post: Overdrawn
Question [CPAP] Sleep Data - removing mask in sleep James87 10 620 01-04-2024, 11:38 AM
Last Post: James87
  Mask riding up at night robbob2112 1 320 12-22-2023, 05:58 PM
Last Post: mushroom
  First week - One "good" night and waking up with mask off most nights ghost10 9 682 12-15-2023, 11:56 AM
Last Post: ghost10
  Can't keep mask on all night emash124 4 576 09-19-2023, 01:08 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question [CPAP] Waking at night with headache, switch from nasal to full face mask. new2paphopeful 1 626 07-23-2023, 07:51 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  First night with hose cover, night was full of major mask leaks TiredTom111 2 850 06-30-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: TiredTom111

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.