Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Treatment Resistant Central Sleep Apnea?
RE: Treatment Resistant Central Sleep Apnea?
Thanks Thank you everyone, it looks like it's time for me to find a doctor that'll let me take the sleep study with the ASV. A bit disappointing that the CPAP didn't work out, but I've been encouraged by everyone's helpful advice. Here's hoping I'll get prescribed soon!
Post Reply Post Reply
Print a copy of your sleep study and always show it to your Doc, highlight/circle the Central Diagnosis and the 33/73 counts of Central and obstructive apnea., getting this on a diagnosis is correct, but uncommon. Most often in a case such as yours the diagnosis is purely OSA even with 45% + Central Apnea. You are ahead of the game, use this leverage.
Post Reply Post Reply
My previous comment is based heavily in your comment that your are self-funding therapy through your HSA. You might be able to get a prescription for ASV to buy from Supplier #2, or just find one online like the one I talked about in Fayetteville, AR for $350. Sometimes it's easier to just do it than to ask permission. Clearly, once you have ASV you can demonstrate efficacy (or not) and that make any sleep study that can cost up to $5000 moot. Take those results to your doctor and get your prescription updated retroactively. The simplicity of ASV belies the difficulty of getting one. Even an expensive clinical test is mostly observation of how you respond to the auto algorithm of ASV. I'm just saying, your money does you more good than spending that much on what you can do for yourself. The machine costs a lot less than the test.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would agree on this. Once you have usage of the ASV, and having proof of effective therapy on it, they cannot suggest stepping down to less effective therapy.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Noted Sleeprider, I would rather avoid having to pay for any expensive clinical tests on my HDHP if I already know that I can benefit from the ASV.

If I were to somehow get an ASV without the prescription first, would I really need to retroactively change my prescription? It seems like it'd be a moot point once I have the ASV.
Post Reply Post Reply
The only reason for an updated prescription is to get someone else to by your second ASV in 5 yrs time
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with Dave and Jas above, however let's review the facts. Your original sleep study showed a strong tendency for central apnea that your doctor actually was concerned about. Your CPAP therapy revealed the CA clearly. There is exactly one appropriate solution for that, ASV. It works easily and instantly for 95% of the people we have coached in that directions and those that arrive at the forum with ASV. Some additional improvement can sometimes be achieved by tweaking default ASV settings. We have further noted a considerably better result in AHI and comfort among individuals using the Resmed ASV vs the Philips Auto SV, however there are some manual settings on the Philips that are needed for a few. ASV may be contraindicated in individuals with congestive heart failure and a very low left ventricular ejection fraction (LVEF). There is even significant doubt about that risk and an ongoing study, ADVENT HF is showing the risks shown in SERVE HF seem resolved. We have seen dozens if not hundreds of ASV users on this forum, and I cannot recall any serious complications.

ASV is clearly a solution in this case with a younger, fit individual with complex sleep apnea. The fact you are self-funding makes the decision to direct you towards the second-hand market really easy; however the first choice is to request the doctor that reviewed your sleep study, further consider your CPAP results and write a prescription for ASV. Access to ASV therapy is restricted by insurance companies that do not want to pay for it, and have created nearly insurmountable costs and medical proofs that the medical mafia gladly embrace since it pays the bills. You will succeed with ASV and need only to decide you want your life back. Once you use ASV it becomes just as normal as CPAP does to the person with obstructive sleep apnea, and with no greater risks.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK when you have questions, we can help inform about both directions, meaning self funding and getting doc on-board with updating the diagnosis and script. And both need to be acted on and explored, in my opinion.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, I tried reaching out to the Lofta sleep team (didn't have a direct line to the doctor unfortunately) with my CPAP results, but they said I'd require an echocardiogram and an in-person lab visit to get the prescription for the ASV. I'm thinking I'll have to schedule an in-person appointment with a local sleep doctor to get the prescription.

I also found a used Resmed Aircurve 10 10 ASV for a great price on the secondhand market that I can probably get without the prescription (not the $350 one in AR unfortunately, haven't been able to get a reply Sad ). Since I'm really eager to get my sleep issues resolved ASAP, I'm thinking I might just pull the trigger on it now and ask for forgiveness later. The only caveat is that the machine has 12,595 run hours. Apparently the average CPAP lifespan is 20k hours and many machines can last well past that if well maintained, but would that be too much?
Post Reply Post Reply
Given about 15-20K hour life, it's half to three quarters done now. How much are they charging? I think at best you'd get 3 years if you're lucky. Regardless of what you choose to buy, ask for an ID photo showing the front ASV panel of the bottom right showing the metallic words AirCurve 10 ASV with ASV in a rectangle. If it doesn't have that, it's not ASV.

Image of my ASV to show front panel nameplate:

[attachment=27814]
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Gross [Treatment] Successful Treatment... Still Significant Struggle TiredTim 0 39 10 hours ago
Last Post: TiredTim
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 216 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,512 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 347 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,395 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 608 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 23 536 03-24-2024, 06:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.