Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Treatment Resistant Central Sleep Apnea?
RE: Treatment Resistant Central Sleep Apnea?
(10-31-2020, 05:31 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Given about 15-20K hour life, it's half to three quarters done now. How much are they charging? I think at best you'd get 3 years if you're lucky. Regardless of what you choose to buy, ask for an ID photo showing the front ASV panel of the bottom right showing the metallic words AirCurve 10 ASV with ASV in a rectangle. If it doesn't have that, it's not ASV.

They're charging $640 for it. It does appear to have the ASV nameplate at the bottom right.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK, your call. I think it's OK but not great. It could serve you about 3 years, give or take a bit. It is the only real machine to suit your needs as I see it. You get the right therapy and build evidence that it is the right therapy.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I do plan on upgrading my insurance plan next year, so as long as it can last a year or 2, I'm thinking that I could use this machine, prove that ASV therapy is working for me with a new sleep doctor, and potentially get insurance to cover a replacement down the line.

Does that sound realistic? I imagine that most insurance companies would try to put up whatever barriers they can, like forcing me to go through their own trial of sleep tests and etc....
Post Reply Post Reply
With that scenario of building evidence for insurance to foot the next purchase, yes. I think that is a good idea in that circumstance. Save purchase info, OSCAR data, and keep records of symptoms and how the ASV makes the apnea treatment better and sleeping tolerable.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
While it looks like it will be superseded, the LVEF test is currently required by the medical community to qualify for getting an ASV.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh yes, the LVEF aspect. Maybe by the time you progress that far it may not be required. In case it's still in play, there's a SERVE-HF study done inaccurately that currently requires a echocardiogram, an ultrasound of the heart, for a cardiac doc to sign off on the results of the test. If or when you get it, the important result is LVEF or Left Ventricle Ejection Fraction. It will be in percentage format. 45% or higher means you pass Go, collect the ASV.

The echocardiogram needs no fasting, expect it should be done at an imaging department at the local hospital or maybe a medical building with the imaging there, such as X-ray, MRI, CT scan, etc. Your prep is while there only, and it involves removal of shirt, lying on the exam table, possibly left side down a bit. Technician uses the cold wand with cold gel to lubricate the wand and permit smoother sliding it around while under hand pressure. This wand takes audio/visual data of the heart. Exam is about 30 minutes or so. I had to do mine in 2017 to prep for ASV and was graded at 55%, with OK by the cardiac doc.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you have no suggestion of congestive heart failure in your medical history, the chances of a low LVEF is like negligible. Most people with that condition are winded by any physical exertion, like walking short distances or climbing stairs. If you have the problem, you probably already know it.

As far as the machine, i would offer $500 and see if you can get a compromise price. It's worthwhile to learn if ASV is the solution, and a lower-hour machine is a better possibility once you demonstrate efficacy. My main concern would be to ensure the machine is not exposed to any cigarette smoke in the household ever.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you go back onto dotmed and search for a Vpap adapt this is the older S9 but still an ASV from a vendor called ems supply It does not have a humidifier but for $150 a bargain a humidifier and tub will set you back another $100 I have bought 2 of them in the past from this supplier and each machine had less than 200hrs but it’s a gamble on the number of hrs they were shipped in a couple of days
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks jaswilliams, I believe I found the S9 VPAP Adapt that you're talking about from the vendor. This is definitely a great deal! Do you know if there any functional differences between the S9 and S10 ASVs that would be worth considering?

As for the LVEF consideration, I don't have a history of any heart issues myself, and I'm able to strength train and run regularly. It doesn't seem like that should be an issue.
Post Reply Post Reply
The early indications of the new, not final, study says the LVEF is not a factor.
But, healthy or not, currently the medical system says you need the test.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 27 602 11 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
Gross [Treatment] Successful Treatment... Still Significant Struggle TiredTim 0 58 03-27-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: TiredTim
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 248 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,524 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 356 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,406 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 616 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.