Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Resmed Aircurve ASV settings
RE: Resmed Aircurve ASV settings
That means you are doing good, real good.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all for your help!
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:When the Aircurve 10 ASV sleep report on the machine says 0.6 AHI and 0.0 total AHI, what does that mean?

I don't have the S10 but on my S9 the figures are AI (apnea index) and total AHI (apnea-hypopnea index). Most nights I get a zero AI (ie no apneas) and a low AHI. This implies that I'm getting a few hypopneas which are counted towards the AHI. I guess you're seeing the same thing.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am like you.  The ASV machine is difficult to understand at times.  I can go from 1 AHI to 8 AHI and have no idea what causes the difference.  It is probably because I play around with my settings from time to time.  I have  found that using the AutoASV setting, you need to leave a fair amount  of head room above the min EPAP and min PS settings..  When setting the max EPAP, I usually set the number to say 11+.  If I go too much below 11, my AHI's  rise.  Also when setting the PS, I usually use the max of 15.  I have found that if I restrict these max numbers too much, my AHI will usually rise above my normal. The min numbers have little effect, but the max numbers are different.  A lot of finding the ideal setting appears to be trial and error.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks again all.

I found this video helpful in understanding the ASV settings. What do you guys think?

https://youtu.be/JmCJjDOjYQQ
Post Reply Post Reply
I wasn't really happy with my sleep study determined CPAP settings and ventured into the auto modes. The study arrived at a 7, and I'm averaging 10.5 in auto. With the trial and error, I discovered an EPAP around 9 closes my airway and kinda starts the conversation for a BiPAP. I don't even have to be asleep to prove it. Perhaps an ASV would be better at detecting that, but I guess my feedback is letting the auto machines run open loop could miss something and leave you scratching your head on high AHI numbers.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:I found this video helpful in understanding the ASV settings. What do you guys think?

https://youtu.be/JmCJjDOjYQQ

Normally I like this guy's videos, but I found this one confusing and poorly explained. He's tried to "dumb down" the explanation and taken it too far. I think his basic premise is that you should set the machine "wide open" and let it determine the optimum automatically. This is the same as saying you should set an APAP to 4 - 20. In theory it should work but in practice it seldom does.

In your case I think you've found your optimum settings and should now leave them alone for at least two weeks. Then post some charts and we'll review your progress. Remember what I said about death by dial twiddling....
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rant and AirCurve 10 vs AirCurve 11 question Whacked 11 293 03-25-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 549 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  Plmnb's New Therapy ResMed AirCurve 10 ST-A Plmnb 204 8,492 03-19-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Trouble adapting to ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV JanetW 6 202 03-19-2024, 01:58 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,232 03-18-2024, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Oscar not recording CSR and RE with Aircurve 10 Vauto rmfisher132 1 87 03-17-2024, 04:33 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  new machine Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto Uzupan 32 1,347 03-10-2024, 07:29 AM
Last Post: Uzupan

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.