Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Returning Member - Intertpreting OSCAR Data
RE: Returning Member - Intertpreting OSCAR Data
The data you've provided are quite worthless in presence of those massive leaks. And the therapy as well. You urgently have to work on your leaks. What about an FFM?
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your forthright input, Multicast. Perhaps the others offering input are being too polite (?). It is hard for me to discern which approach is best: jump to a full face mask immediately or continue trying softer cervical collars for awhile.

Is there any research showing how large a leak rate requires immediate corrective action? I imagine the answer is it depends on other factors.
Before trying my first cervical collar, time over leak redline: 26%, 29%, 31%, 48%, 40%
After trying my first cervical collar, time over leak redline: 32%, 49%
Post Reply Post Reply
You're welcome (and pardon in case I sounded impolite). What about taping? I'm practicing taping for two years now with resounding success; there are practical no leaks. Don't you suffer from dry cottonmouth? Doesn't all that massive leakage disturb your sleep?

Always remember: "The only good leak is a zero one."
Post Reply Post Reply
Dale00, earlier you asked about using tape with facial hair. I've read posts from people who manage it; they trim the tape and then press it down carefully on their lips. Not sure how that'd work for you, but it might be worth the cost of a box of Somnifix strips to find out.
Post Reply Post Reply
Why is no one suggesting a chin strap? Are there problems with using one?

Thanks Dormeo for the taping advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
Dale00, check out the reviews forum for information on the Knightsbridge Dual Chin Strap from Supplier #37. This device pulls upward, not back and is very secure. I think the review discusses sizing, and most members seem to prefer this to be a little larger. If you are losing seal because your mouth opens, this may be a good solution. Worth a try.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Absolutely try a strap. You never know what will work for you until you try. Many people would recommend the Knightsbridge dual-band strap, which pulls the jaw up without also pulling it back.
Post Reply Post Reply
continued:

learning that the clusters of OAs and  hypopneas are positional   was a game-changer for me.     I now have  three corflex soft cervical collars.     When I figured out that the first one was probably too short,  although it helped,  I ordered the next couple sizes.         (It has been taking so long for things to arrive. )     So I have been using the middle size  one.    

I like the Knightsbridge chin strap, too.       I haven't used it many nights yet.   ( I     prefer to avoid changing the adjustments on my mask headgear,   when it is working well.     I now have  Pad-a-cheek  cushions on the headgear straps,  and they seem to make re-adjusting  take  longer.)  

I will ask my dentist  which    --   the Knightsbridge chin strap  or Corflex  SCC-- that she will recommend.     

Thank you for the questions and all the answers/  and suggestions.       Apnea  Board has been a huge help to me.     THANK YOU ALL!
Post Reply Post Reply
Last night was my first night using a new machine: S10 Autoset for Her. Please see the attached for a comparison against my old (20,000 hr) S9 two nights ago.

I am very pleased with the improved data and feel of the airflow so far. Wonderful that my leak rate is way down and I have been able to improve my mouth breathing to a significant extent......Still I feel I have more improvements possible.

Wondering if the difference between the data from the two machines does not point toward the aging S9 Autoset as no longer delivering correct pressures.... Or perhaps the improved algorithms of the S10 Autoset for Her explain the difference

(Switching to a Corflex collar and experimenting with taping are part of improvements as well....many thanks for the great advice!)

Waiting to get my Knightsbridge chin strap and a new nasal pillow to see how they effect the data.

I confess to having gotten acclimated (a euphemism: lazy) and not updating my equipment regularly as I should have.
Post Reply Post Reply
Congratulations on getting a really excellent new machine.

I see that your EPR on the old machine was set at 2, with the EPR on the new machine set at 1. I recommend that you set the EPR on the new machine at 2 right away, with the thought that you will increase it to 3 if all goes well for a few nights. The reason for increasing the EPR is that it may help with the flow limitations, possibly the hypopneas too.

Ordinarily, an increase in EPR should be accompanied by an increase to your minimum pressure, but I don't think that's necessary with the change to 2. Depending on how 2 goes, it may or may not be advisable with a further change to 3.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New user OSCAR data after one week Everlong 2 102 03-26-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Everlong
  Current OSCAR Data Tylermdugan 0 63 03-26-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: Tylermdugan
  Need help with OSCAR data Abhi 5 399 03-26-2024, 05:31 AM
Last Post: BigWing
  New Member with new BiPap question Pbeth1 9 134 03-25-2024, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  First night done, now what? (OSCAR data attached) Stephaniea0213 5 140 03-20-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 143 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Analyzing OSCAR DATA givememyusername 3 172 03-20-2024, 06:02 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.