Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Difficulty swallowing and singing
Question 
Difficulty swallowing and singing
Diagnosed with sleep apnea this summer (2016). Chronic insomnia was the previous diagnosis. For a couple of years before, I had had difficulty swallowing pills (especially in the morning) and my singing voice was deteriorating. Saw an ENT who wasn't too concerned. Did anyone else have either these conditions before being diagnosed with apnea? I am still having both of these "symptoms?" occurring.

Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Difficulty swallowing and singing
Maybe acid reflux is affecting the vocal cords? I've had that happen before and had to get the acid reflux under control to be able to consistently speak for an hour or more at a time.
Post Reply Post Reply
your swallowing and vocal problems may not relate to the apnea at all. at times i have difficulty swallowing my daily pills (11) at once, but i have occasional gerd flare-ups, which i control with anti-acids and/or the purple pill. my voice has deteriorated as well, but in my case both age and insufficient lung support, owing to copd, contribute to the problem. sometimes the voice will fail in the middle of a normal conversation, reducing me to a whisper or a wheezing attempt to continue. i do use a portable oxygen bottle, which is very helpful. we each have our individual problems, however, and i don't mean to suggest that my situation is a mirror of yours. sometimes, though, it's helpful just to have some folks around who care.

welcome to the forum, and good luck with your therapy. and on a positive note, i have learned that sleep apnea can cause problems that take some time to conquer, and may not at first even seem related.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-24-2016, 09:11 PM)giftofsleep Wrote: Diagnosed with sleep apnea this summer (2016). Chronic insomnia was the previous diagnosis. For a couple of years before, I had had difficulty swallowing pills (especially in the morning) and my singing voice was deteriorating. Saw an ENT who wasn't too concerned. Did anyone else have either these conditions before being diagnosed with apnea? I am still having both of these "symptoms?" occurring.

Thank you.

Hi giftofsleep,
You state you had difficulty swallowing pills and your voice was deteriorating a couple years "prior" to using Cpap.

It's hard to say if Cpap use aggravates your condition, but Cpap is to help you with apnea, it's not likely to cure a previous condition that may or may not be related to sleep apnea.

It might be a good idea to get a second opinion or see a different ENT.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi GiftOfSleep;

If I was in your situation, I would be getting a second opinion from a different ENT, and asking him to perform a bronchoscopy, to visually check inside your throat and voicebox (larynx). This difficulty swallowing and vocal changes may well simply be caused by drying out of your mucous membranes at night (related to mouthbreathing at night, for example), or it may indicate a more serious underlying condition, which he would have to visualize and assess.

(09-24-2016, 09:11 PM)giftofsleep Wrote: Diagnosed with sleep apnea this summer (2016). Chronic insomnia was the previous diagnosis. For a couple of years before, I had had difficulty swallowing pills (especially in the morning) and my singing voice was deteriorating. Saw an ENT who wasn't too concerned. Did anyone else have either these conditions before being diagnosed with apnea? I am still having both of these "symptoms?" occurring.

Thank you.

Post Reply Post Reply

Thank you.

Have you been evaluated for thyroid issues -- both of which can affect swallowing and your singing voice? Any issues with gastric reflux which can also produce swallowing issues and impairment of your voice? -- Best of luck in finding an acceptable answer.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi giftofsleep and welcome to the forum!

Hope you find answers to your problem soon and also that CPAP therapy is successful. Keep at it and don't give up; there are longterm health benefits to treating your sleep apnea!!
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,756 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 813 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 265 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [Treatment] Difficulty with TECSA and Hypopneas jjl468 7 1,031 08-14-2023, 01:10 PM
Last Post: jjl468
  Finally a decent nights rest but swallowing air sfgiants123 2 526 05-13-2023, 10:26 AM
Last Post: sfgiants123
  Need help with air swallowing so I can meet compliance requirements Harmon 3 545 01-16-2023, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Harmon
  anyone else have difficulty clearing throat? martyedb 10 1,488 04-29-2022, 03:50 AM
Last Post: Mso43

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.