Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Not sure
Humidifier: ResMed H5
CPAP Pressure: 6-8
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Sex: Female
S9 doesn't auto adjust
My ResMed S9 does not automatically adjust when on Autoset.

I had a great experience at the sleep study with the ResMed S9. They used pressures 6-9. The doc wrote the prescription for 6-14. My machine would automatically go to 14. It was too much and air was exhausinsting through my mouth. I had the pressure changed to 6-9, which is now tolerable, but the pressure still automatically goes to 9. My AH1s are less than 1. So, I cannot figure out why it was going up to 14 previously, or why it automatically goes to 9.

I tested the machine by putting it on and not going to sleep. I stayed wide awake reading a book. I'm assuming that being wide awake, I wouldn't have any apneas, and the pressure would stay at 6. Nope. The pressure automatically goes to 9.

So, it isn't auto titrating, or automatically adjusting. I've checked that it's on the "Autoset" setting.

Can anyone explain this to me?
11-27-2014 06:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: A10 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

Sex: Male

RE: S9 doesn't auto adjust
Hello Ellsworth and welcome

I don't know exactly whats going with your machine, could be faulty, have you reported to the supplier?

The machine sleep report display 95th percentile pressure, have you checked it out?

Download the software, so you can see whats showing in the pressure graph and statistics (median, 95th percentile, and maximum)
(This post was last modified: 11-27-2014 08:34 PM by zonk.)
11-27-2014 08:32 PM
Ellsworth Offline

New Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: Not sure
Humidifier: ResMed H5
CPAP Pressure: 6-8

Other Comments:

I've tried 2 machines and it's happened on both, so I think it's not the equipment.

The pressure just keeps increasing to the maximum, even if I'm not sleeping
11-27-2014 09:02 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
trish6hundred Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

Hi Ellsworth,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I'm not sure what is causing your problem but hang in there for more suggestions. Hopefully, you'll get your CPAP situation straightened out.
Much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.

trish6hundred
11-28-2014 03:03 PM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

Take the card out and try your "read a book while wearing it" experiment again. Two machines from the same place makes it sound as if there is something on the card that is wrong. Like they are setting the machine but the card has a command on it for something else.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
11-28-2014 07:54 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
archangle Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 16-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Happy PAPper

Sex: Undisclosed

Welcome!

Download the SleepyHead program and look at your data.

See what it says your settings are.

See if your pressure starts low and drifts upwards slowly.

The machine doesn't only look at apnea. It also looks at "flow limitations" and may increase pressure even if it doesn't report apneas.

You may actually need higher pressure due to these flow limitations and what's called UARS. It may also be that your breathing pattern confuses the machine.

Auto pressure doesn't work for some people. Luckily, all the auto machines can be set to a fixed pressure or a narrow pressure range. Since you have a fully data capable machine, you can adjust the manual pressure or pressure range up and down and see the results and find the pressure that works best for you.

Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
11-29-2014 01:42 PM
vsheline Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: S9 VPAP Adapt (USA Model# 36007, not better 36037 or 36067)
Mask Make & Model: F10 or SimPlus w/ 2Liners. MirageQuatro & Gecko gel pad
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 15 EPAP, PS 5-10

Other Comments: Marfan Syndrome, chronic bradycardia, occasional Cheyne-Stokes Respiration

(11-27-2014 06:38 PM)Ellsworth Wrote:  So, it isn't auto titrating, or automatically adjusting. I've checked that it's on the "Autoset" setting.

Hi Ellsworth, welcome to the forum!

The machine may be autotitrating but, like Archangle wrote, your breathing may show characteristics of Flow Limitation, causing the machine to raise the pressure.

If it is not too late, I suggest exchanging the machine for the new A10 AutoSet For Her model, so you can try the gentler AutoSet For Her therapy mode.

The A10 AutoSet For Her (unlike the S9 AutoSet For Her) has 3 therapy modes, fixed-pressure CPAP therapy mode, standard AutoSet therapy mode, and the new gentle AutoSet For Her therapy mode. The A10 AutoSet for Her has everything the standard A10 AutoSet has, plus more, so it is like three machines in one.

The AutoSet For Her therapy mode raises the pressure more gently. It also includes the added feature that the Minimum Pressure setting will auto-adjust if needed, to better maintain an adequate therapy pressure.

The A10 AutoSet For Her model is the only ResMed model which reports Respiration Effort-Related Arousal (RERA) events. (RERAs are arousals caused by respiratory effort but RERAs do not qualify as hypopneas and are not counted in the AHI because the reduction in breathing was not at least 50%, or the Oxygen desaturation during the RERA was not deep enough.)

Take care,
--- Vaughn

Added: Another good option may be to try switching to the Philips Respironics System One REMSTAR Auto With Heated Hose.

Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment. The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies - not on matters concerning treatment for Sleep Apnea. I think it is now too late to change the name of the group but I think Voting Member group would perhaps have been a more descriptive name for the group.
(This post was last modified: 11-30-2014 12:42 AM by vsheline.)
11-29-2014 04:57 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: A10 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

I'm leaning towards Paula theory, the machine does not ramp pressure to the maximum in a flash

or maybe the machine set in CPAP mode, you need confirm it in the clinical menu, also you can view the setting at the long version of the sleep report (that will confirm the setting too)

If I make a bet with myself guessing the pressure display on the screen before turn off the machine
(while lying awake in bed first thing in the morning)
I win most of the times, usually around the minimum Coffee
11-29-2014 05:41 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  airsense10 auto cpap(for him) VS DreamStation Auto CPAP DSX500T11 w/HT humid rookiepom 5 841 10-09-2016 07:52 AM
Last Post: stephennic
  Chinstrap doesn't prevent mouth breathing, how to solve? Snurkel 21 2,061 10-03-2016 05:03 PM
Last Post: Roy289
Ohmy Resmed S9 auto vs Airsense 10 auto sleepyonpar1 6 716 08-11-2016 09:10 PM
Last Post: zonk
  Dreamstation auto or Resmed S9 auto? Ockrocket 13 809 08-04-2016 11:09 PM
Last Post: stephennic
  Adjust Min or Max Pressure for High OA TheLionSleeps 5 528 07-27-2016 04:28 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  how to adjust clock on Resmed autoset 9 Marl1n 3 463 07-25-2016 10:12 AM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  When Medicare doesn't pay Sn00zeAlarm 11 672 07-22-2016 06:15 AM
Last Post: justMongo