Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] S9 doesn't auto adjust
S9 doesn't auto adjust
My ResMed S9 does not automatically adjust when on Autoset.

I had a great experience at the sleep study with the ResMed S9. They used pressures 6-9. The doc wrote the prescription for 6-14. My machine would automatically go to 14. It was too much and air was exhausinsting through my mouth. I had the pressure changed to 6-9, which is now tolerable, but the pressure still automatically goes to 9. My AH1s are less than 1. So, I cannot figure out why it was going up to 14 previously, or why it automatically goes to 9.

I tested the machine by putting it on and not going to sleep. I stayed wide awake reading a book. I'm assuming that being wide awake, I wouldn't have any apneas, and the pressure would stay at 6. Nope. The pressure automatically goes to 9.

So, it isn't auto titrating, or automatically adjusting. I've checked that it's on the "Autoset" setting.

Can anyone explain this to me?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: S9 doesn't auto adjust
Hello Ellsworth and welcome

I don't know exactly whats going with your machine, could be faulty, have you reported to the supplier?

The machine sleep report display 95th percentile pressure, have you checked it out?

Download the software, so you can see whats showing in the pressure graph and statistics (median, 95th percentile, and maximum)
Post Reply Post Reply
I've tried 2 machines and it's happened on both, so I think it's not the equipment.

The pressure just keeps increasing to the maximum, even if I'm not sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Ellsworth,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I'm not sure what is causing your problem but hang in there for more suggestions. Hopefully, you'll get your CPAP situation straightened out.
Much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Take the card out and try your "read a book while wearing it" experiment again. Two machines from the same place makes it sound as if there is something on the card that is wrong. Like they are setting the machine but the card has a command on it for something else.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome!

Download the SleepyHead program and look at your data.

See what it says your settings are.

See if your pressure starts low and drifts upwards slowly.

The machine doesn't only look at apnea. It also looks at "flow limitations" and may increase pressure even if it doesn't report apneas.

You may actually need higher pressure due to these flow limitations and what's called UARS. It may also be that your breathing pattern confuses the machine.

Auto pressure doesn't work for some people. Luckily, all the auto machines can be set to a fixed pressure or a narrow pressure range. Since you have a fully data capable machine, you can adjust the manual pressure or pressure range up and down and see the results and find the pressure that works best for you.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-27-2014, 06:38 PM)Ellsworth Wrote: So, it isn't auto titrating, or automatically adjusting. I've checked that it's on the "Autoset" setting.

Hi Ellsworth, welcome to the forum!

The machine may be autotitrating but, like Archangle wrote, your breathing may show characteristics of Flow Limitation, causing the machine to raise the pressure.

If it is not too late, I suggest exchanging the machine for the new A10 AutoSet For Her model, so you can try the gentler AutoSet For Her therapy mode.

The A10 AutoSet For Her (unlike the S9 AutoSet For Her) has 3 therapy modes, fixed-pressure CPAP therapy mode, standard AutoSet therapy mode, and the new gentle AutoSet For Her therapy mode. The A10 AutoSet for Her has everything the standard A10 AutoSet has, plus more, so it is like three machines in one.

The AutoSet For Her therapy mode raises the pressure more gently. It also includes the added feature that the Minimum Pressure setting will auto-adjust if needed, to better maintain an adequate therapy pressure.

The A10 AutoSet For Her model is the only ResMed model which reports Respiration Effort-Related Arousal (RERA) events. (RERAs are arousals caused by respiratory effort but RERAs do not qualify as hypopneas and are not counted in the AHI because the reduction in breathing was not at least 50%, or the Oxygen desaturation during the RERA was not deep enough.)

Take care,
--- Vaughn

Added: Another good option may be to try switching to the Philips Respironics System One REMSTAR Auto With Heated Hose.
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm leaning towards Paula theory, the machine does not ramp pressure to the maximum in a flash

or maybe the machine set in CPAP mode, you need confirm it in the clinical menu, also you can view the setting at the long version of the sleep report (that will confirm the setting too)

If I make a bet with myself guessing the pressure display on the screen before turn off the machine
(while lying awake in bed first thing in the morning)
I win most of the times, usually around the minimum Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Cool New Backup Machine doesn't have menu options mcse350 2 202 02-28-2024, 03:38 PM
Last Post: mcse350
  Please help me adjust settings from OSCAR to CPAP deirdrepen 2 296 01-14-2024, 11:18 AM
Last Post: deirdrepen
  Auto BiPAP fixed PS vs Auto PS - pros and cons? Stubert 5 585 01-09-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Stubert
  It Just Doesn't Matter cmpman1974 6 640 12-04-2023, 12:30 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Airsense 11 doesn't write SD data on some days only chipschap 7 674 10-07-2023, 04:14 PM
Last Post: chipschap
  Miserable Sleep 40+ Respiratory Rate, Doctor Doesn't Know Why SkylarBlue 14 1,253 10-02-2023, 12:58 AM
Last Post: Lucky7
  Dry mouth with Resmed 11 auto, not with S9 auto? pumpkln 3 597 09-13-2023, 12:46 PM
Last Post: eok361

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.