Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Brevida - raw nose
Surprised 
Brevida - raw nose
I just got the Brevida, and tried it for the first half of last night.  

It was divine!  Zero leaks or even hints of leaks.  So super comfy.  Pretty minimal feeling - much more like the P10 than the Nuance Pro (as far as feeling it, or not feeling it, in my upper lip area).  

Super wonderful!  I'm in love!  Best mask ever!!!

Until... I pulled it off (because I needed to get up in the middle of the night to do something), and YOWCHIE. It hurt the inside of my nose SO badly as I was pulling it out/off.  Holy macarole.  It felt raw, or burned. 

I could not go back to sleep like that, so when I went back to bed I switched to my trusty FFM.

BUT I sure would love to keep the Brevida.  It was so wonderful.

Brevida users - Did you experience this in the beginning?  Did it go away?

I know I could try all sorts of lubes and such, but that's not my style.  I'm a minimalist. 

My skin *is* sensitive. The P10 hurt a decent amount at the beginning, but my nostrils eventually toughened up but still shed dead skin from the exposures.  But this, this is beyond.  And I'm wondering if I'm alone and if there's any hope.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Brevida - raw nose
I have been trying the Brevida for a few weeks now and love it. Since it stays in place for me better when I’m moving around than the P10 does, I have fewer leaks with the Brevida than I do with the P10.

My nose did get sore until I got the mask adjusted right. It doesn’t need to be very tight at all. I found the sweet spot by loosening the headgear a little at a time until the mask started leaking and then tightening it slightly.  By counting the little dimples on the end you tighten, it is easier to make small adjustments and keep the straps even. For me, the headgear needs to sit well back on the head so the cushion will sit right on my nose. After I get the mask on and my machine up to pressure, I pull the cushion away from my nose slightly and adjust it as needed.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've had pain in my nostrils from airflow from both the P10 and the Brevida. I like both for the way they seal and for the way pillow-type masks get through minor congestion and sinus blockage. But the pain and dryness I haven't been able to get past. The original Dreamwear works better for me, though I wish it would stay in place better.
Post Reply Post Reply
This pain I'm experiencing is on the inside of my nostrils, and is due to the material that the pillow is made of.

Maybe I need to let my nose hair grow longer. Haha, but totally serious.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been using this mask for about a week now and love it. The first night I used the xs/sm nasal pillows. They worked perfect, but when I woke up at night I took the mask off and I started feeling the potential rawness coming on. The next night I switched to the med/lrg and it had been so much better. Like MitchS was saying it does not need tk be very tight, just the right about of tightness. I also counted the divets/notches on each side so they were exactly even.

Have you tried both size pillows?
Post Reply Post Reply
The strap looks exactly like p10 hence its probably just as much useless.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-22-2019, 12:49 AM)crowtor Wrote: The strap looks exactly like p10 hence its probably just as much useless.

The straps seem to employ the same material but that's where the similarity ends.  Unlike the P10's headgear, with the only adjustment being the separating of the headgear straps, the Brevida has fully adjustable straps that are secured with velcro pads on the ends.   I would describe the Brevida's headgear as being closer to my FFM's design rather than the P10's.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yup, when trying out a new mask which has different contact points from previous ones, some of us sensitive types have to apply a little tenderness. You know where this is going...

[Image: 719s1nwl4vl._sl1500_.jpg]

That's right, in your nose. For the first few nights. Apply a tiny dab spread around the inside rim of your nares 10 minutes before bedtime. Some of us really sensitive types even have to use it again from time to time, maybe 2 or 3 nights every couple of weeks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Been using my brevida for 8 months now, and never had a single problem with it... In love!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hybrid Masks more comfortable than over the nose FF mask? sleepingbetterinFl 1 52 7 hours ago
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Equipment] Any tips on how to get better airflow in under nose masks/hybrid full face masks? jake79 12 186 Yesterday, 05:19 PM
Last Post: jake79
  [Equipment] Brevida mask with Evora headgear BeauPetitNez 10 1,818 04-16-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: BeauPetitNez
  Dripping Nose Lesley19 3 116 04-10-2024, 01:50 AM
Last Post: Lesley19
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,924 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 298 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 7,293 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.