Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Should I change machine
Should I change machine
146 days afteer using CPAP. AHI still between 4~6. Mostly Hypopnea and OSA. Spo2 is around 94.5. I have been gradully rasing pressure to 9. It has been stable for 2 months now. Should I consider changing to another type of machine to lower AHI?[attachment=3098]

http://imgur.com/a/h6KTp
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Should I change machine
Your average pressure is less than 10 cm, and it seems you do not produce the cues that would normally raise pressure in advance of OA and H events. You do not seem to have CA problems. For the period of record you have posted, there has been no change in your average or 90% pressures, and I would not conclude your AHI is intractable until your minimum pressure is around 11.5. My suggestion would be to slowly increase your minimum to that level (not coincidentally your consistent 90% pressure), and see where AHI is best treated.

I would not expect bilevel to be therapeutically better than CPAP, and tolerance should not be a problem at these pressures.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Sleeprider. I shall try raising my pressure. However I feel my mouth dry in the morning though humilifier was on. My place is rather humid.

Do you think Resmed Sense 10 worth a try since some commented it more responsive to events?

BTW, does flex matter? I tried 0~3, seems no difference. Also periodic breathings were recorded regularly most of the nights from 1~3%
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, I think the Resmed Autoset is significantly superior to the Philips Auto for both of the reasons you cited. In fact you may have been thinking of posts I have made on the subject. With Resmed you get a 3-cm bilevel. With Philips you get up to 2 cm of flow-based pressure relief at the beginning of exhale. Technically, you will have a very very difficult time pursuading insurance to pay for a bilevel, but the method of EPR in the Resmed can be beneficial to hypopnea and low tidal volume, and it is definitely faster to attack obstructive events from a lower pressure.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Raise your low pressure setting is a good idea. It may allow your machine to respond better to events. It worked for me and hope it will for you too.

Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Prisma 20A - Change of machine and regression elliott.981. 16 1,583 02-21-2024, 08:46 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Any change recommendations to machine? NativTxn 2 306 02-17-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: NativTxn
  [Symptoms] Recent Symptom - Settings Change? MamaK55 1 159 02-10-2024, 06:03 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Pressure] I just started apap therapy 3 weeks ago and I feel worse.Should I change settings? AndreiChivu 1 314 02-03-2024, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Pressure] Pressure max/min clarification and change I made richapple 5 354 01-28-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: richapple
  EPR Change to Help With Flow Limits? upsman 4 358 01-22-2024, 09:08 PM
Last Post: upsman
  Early Morning change in AHI CasitaWayne 20 6,933 01-19-2024, 06:36 PM
Last Post: jstro84

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.