Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: Resmed Climateline
CPAP Pressure: Auto Bilevel 18/9, PS 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

RE: Sleep Apnea + Asthama + Nasal Allergy
(09-29-2016 07:17 AM)getmylifeback Wrote:  Dear sleeprider, PaulaO2 and 49er. Thanks a ton for your responses.

From June to August, the situation was not that bad. Starting Sep it seems to be deteriorating fast.

Avg 95% pressure : 8.8
Leaks data - 95% : 1.2 | Max : 45.6 | Median 0.0
AHI : Maximum apneas occur towards the start. After using the machine for arnd 45 minutes to an hour, AI is > 7. This avergaes out over the night
Average AHI data for last 14 days is AI : 3.3 | Obstructive : 1.0 | Central : 0.5 | Unknown : 1.7
Avg daily use : 3:56 Hrs
EPR setting is at 3

Thanks for the suggesting site by doctor Steven Park. This seems to be an amazing source for apena related info.
And you are right about the medications not having the required effect.
I am seeing my doctor again tomorrow.

I have enjoyed some of the articles by Dr. Park, but he is primarily an advocate of surgical options, so keep that in mind when you read.

You are averaging less than 4-hours per night of therapy, and our goal is to get you to 7 to 8 hours so you can feel rested. It would be helpful to see Sleepyhead data, but what I'm seeing is an acceptable overall AHI, but lots of room for improvement. With your 95% pressure at 8.8, and presumably your average much lower, combined with an EPR setting of 3, you have very low EPAP pressure. I would guess your EPAP pressure is mostly at 4.0 cm during use, and rarely gets as high as 5.5 cm. With your machine, the pressure does not transition to IPAP until you spontaneously initiate that breath.

I just think you need to either back off on EPR or raise your pressure. Given the low therapy pressures, you have, I think the best option may be to turn off EPR or set it at 1. I think you will find the therapy more comfortable and less claustrophobic, and I also think your sense of nasal congestion will be reduced. You may also want to experiment with the next size larger nasal pillow.

Good luck with your doctor's appointment. I think you are closer to making this work than you think. You are going to have to work through the comfort issues, and get on track with more hours of use, or you won't start feeling better. On a positive note, I think your therapy prescription is essentially right-on except for using EPR.

09-29-2016 09:31 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Violetskyye Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Resmed Airsense 10
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Resmed F-10
Humidifier: Resmed Airsense
CPAP Pressure: 6-10
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments:

Sex: Female

Hi, I'm no big expert, but wanted to help the poster with my experience. When I first used nasal pillows, I was also very congested and sneezing the next mornings. The very easy fix for me on the Airsense 10 was to increase the humidity. I first had it at 4 of 8. Just turning it up to 6 helped so much. It uses the water up much faster, so you have to fill the water tub to max. but it has nearly completely eliminated the congestion. Good luck.
09-30-2016 02:01 PM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

I use the NeilMed nasal rinse pre-made packages with an Ayr squeeze bottle. You can find both at almost any drug store. The packets are just salt and a pH buffer. My partner is getting over a bad cold that turned into a sinus infection. After years of telling her to use the rinse, i finally just led her through it and she is loving it. She can breathe finally. And is kicking herself for not using it sooner. But it is hard the first time, to get over that "ew" factor.

The saline nasal spray is good to use, too. I use Ayr brand for that. For when my nasal passages are dry but I don't need to do a rinse. Or during the day.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
09-30-2016 07:31 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Violetskyye Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Resmed Airsense 10
Mask Make & Model: Resmed F-10
Humidifier: Resmed Airsense
CPAP Pressure: 6-10
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments:

Sex: Female

I've watched the Neiilmed video with the neti pot and just couldn't get past the yuck factor of using one, but the Ayr spray is great. I like the Ayr gel, too. You kind of slather it inside the nose w/ a Q-tip and it's soothing.
09-30-2016 08:22 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Angry [News] DANGER OF UNDIAGNOSED SLEEP APNEA srlevine1 7 540 11-21-2016 03:26 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Sleep Study: Nasal vs. Full Mask harmon k 2 321 11-20-2016 06:38 PM
Last Post: harmon k
  Central Sleep Apnea? wayne99 8 753 11-20-2016 06:39 AM
Last Post: wayne99
  Sleep Apnea Alphabet Soup ladytimes 2 211 11-13-2016 02:16 PM
Last Post: ladytimes
  [News] Vitamin D - possible help for sleep apnea patients? ApneaNews 46 14,015 10-28-2016 05:01 PM
Last Post: scotty
  Sleep Apnea Surgery zeeser 5 587 10-26-2016 02:42 PM
Last Post: Kadenz
  Ordered a Auto CPAP / Was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea jakthebomb 15 811 10-18-2016 08:00 AM
Last Post: southerndoc