Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Sleep Apnea + Asthama + Nasal Allergy
RE: Sleep Apnea + Asthama + Nasal Allergy
(09-29-2016, 07:17 AM)getmylifeback Wrote: Dear sleeprider, PaulaO2 and 49er. Thanks a ton for your responses.

From June to August, the situation was not that bad. Starting Sep it seems to be deteriorating fast.

Avg 95% pressure : 8.8
Leaks data - 95% : 1.2 | Max : 45.6 | Median 0.0
AHI : Maximum apneas occur towards the start. After using the machine for arnd 45 minutes to an hour, AI is > 7. This avergaes out over the night
Average AHI data for last 14 days is AI : 3.3 | Obstructive : 1.0 | Central : 0.5 | Unknown : 1.7
Avg daily use : 3:56 Hrs
EPR setting is at 3

Thanks for the suggesting site by doctor Steven Park. This seems to be an amazing source for apena related info.
And you are right about the medications not having the required effect.
I am seeing my doctor again tomorrow.

I have enjoyed some of the articles by Dr. Park, but he is primarily an advocate of surgical options, so keep that in mind when you read.

You are averaging less than 4-hours per night of therapy, and our goal is to get you to 7 to 8 hours so you can feel rested. It would be helpful to see Sleepyhead data, but what I'm seeing is an acceptable overall AHI, but lots of room for improvement. With your 95% pressure at 8.8, and presumably your average much lower, combined with an EPR setting of 3, you have very low EPAP pressure. I would guess your EPAP pressure is mostly at 4.0 cm during use, and rarely gets as high as 5.5 cm. With your machine, the pressure does not transition to IPAP until you spontaneously initiate that breath.

I just think you need to either back off on EPR or raise your pressure. Given the low therapy pressures, you have, I think the best option may be to turn off EPR or set it at 1. I think you will find the therapy more comfortable and less claustrophobic, and I also think your sense of nasal congestion will be reduced. You may also want to experiment with the next size larger nasal pillow.

Good luck with your doctor's appointment. I think you are closer to making this work than you think. You are going to have to work through the comfort issues, and get on track with more hours of use, or you won't start feeling better. On a positive note, I think your therapy prescription is essentially right-on except for using EPR.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, I'm no big expert, but wanted to help the poster with my experience. When I first used nasal pillows, I was also very congested and sneezing the next mornings. The very easy fix for me on the Airsense 10 was to increase the humidity. I first had it at 4 of 8. Just turning it up to 6 helped so much. It uses the water up much faster, so you have to fill the water tub to max. but it has nearly completely eliminated the congestion. Good luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the NeilMed nasal rinse pre-made packages with an Ayr squeeze bottle. You can find both at almost any drug store. The packets are just salt and a pH buffer.

The saline nasal spray is good to use, too. I use Ayr brand for that. For when my nasal passages are dry but I don't need to do a rinse. Or during the day.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I've watched the Neiilmed video with the neti pot and just couldn't get past the yuck factor of using one, but the Ayr spray is great. I like the Ayr gel, too. You kind of slather it inside the nose w/ a Q-tip and it's soothing.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 234 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 351 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 613 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 292 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 75 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 127 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 563 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.