Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Sleep Study Results
RE: Sleep Study Results
Hi Birdy. You are so going to love your new life when you get started with your cpap machine and become a former smoker. Good job on making those committments to yourself.

I too was advised by my docs to quit smoking for a long time. Remember when dirt was invented? Yeah, that's about how long ago it has been. I did become an ex-smoker about 10 years ago, which as about 5 years too late. So I have what is lovingly referred to as "severe emphysema." That's what the docs call it. I'm not sure I accept that. But the point is it will be so much more convenient for you to bite that bullet and become a former smoker before you get to that point rather than after. A couple of things: Never tell yourself you are "quitting smoking." That just reinforces Mrs. Brain things that at any time you can suck up another cigarette and all will be back to "normal." When you put down the old match book, tell yourself that you are a non-smoker. It's not a matter of quitting, it's a matter of been there- done that. You quit. You are a non smoker.

The other secret I have is keep a nice supply of "snacks" to nibble on. I used jelly beans. Yep, I know, too much sugar, blah blah blah...... But they worked me. Celery sure would not have been an option. The only thing is buy good quality jelly beans because the cheap ones have to much wax in them and you'll not be able to craxxxxxxx for a month.

Enjoy your start to the new you. You will be very pleased with the results.
Post Reply Post Reply
From a medical therapy perspective, the titration is important to confirm that the use of CPAP will reduce the number of apneas/hypopnea events in you, and is therefore medically indicated (required) as a solution to the problem. If for some reason, increasing pressure in your airway does not reduce hypopneas, then giving you a CPAP would be the wrong thing to do.

Therefore a titration study does 2 things:
1. Confirm CPAP or other PAP is a valid solution to the bad sleep and O2 desaturation problems; and
2. Figure out the lower and upper limits needed at various stages of sleep.

If things get really interesting during the titration study, then they will determine if you need a Bilevel or ventilator or some other more technically complex machine.

To us patients, we don't see all the effort and analysis that goes into titration study. They are looking for the simplest solution to our sleep/breathing problems. However, some patients need more complex solutions. Based on those results and other co-existing conditions in the patient, the doctor will make a recommended pressure and machine prescription in order to achieve the best outcome for the patient.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-11-2015, 01:20 PM)retired_guy Wrote: Hi Birdy. You are so going to love your new life when you get started with your cpap machine and become a former smoker. Good job on making those committments to yourself.

I too was advised by my docs to quit smoking for a long time. Remember when dirt was invented? Yeah, that's about how long ago it has been. I did become an ex-smoker about 10 years ago, which as about 5 years too late. So I have what is lovingly referred to as "severe emphysema." That's what the docs call it. I'm not sure I accept that. But the point is it will be so much more convenient for you to bite that bullet and become a former smoker before you get to that point rather than after. A couple of things: Never tell yourself you are "quitting smoking." That just reinforces Mrs. Brain things that at any time you can suck up another cigarette and all will be back to "normal." When you put down the old match book, tell yourself that you are a non-smoker. It's not a matter of quitting, it's a matter of been there- done that. You quit. You are a non smoker.

The other secret I have is keep a nice supply of "snacks" to nibble on. I used jelly beans. Yep, I know, too much sugar, blah blah blah...... But they worked me. Celery sure would not have been an option. The only thing is buy good quality jelly beans because the cheap ones have to much wax in them and you'll not be able to craxxxxxxx for a month.

Enjoy your start to the new you. You will be very pleased with the results.

Hi there and thank you kindly for your thoughts. I'm sorry about your emphysema, that can't be easy for you, but you are witty :grin: that's half the battle!

Great advice about non smoker, that's the best thing to think been there and done that, crazy to think it was ever going to not catch up with me but it has and it's not a nice feeling being out of breath!, well done you! non smoker Smile at least you are not making your health any worse.

I think I've gotten the wake up call that i needed to realize smoking is a thing of the past if i want some quality of life. I have to be strong and just do without, jellybeans are a lot better than cigarettes, i like to munch and i like jellybeans so i'll certainly keep them near.

Great advice thanks again, and enjoy the jellybeans they are yummy:grin:

Best Wishes
Sweet Birdsong
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-11-2015, 03:20 PM)trailrider Wrote: From a medical therapy perspective, the titration is important to confirm that the use of CPAP will reduce the number of apneas/hypopnea events in you, and is therefore medically indicated (required) as a solution to the problem. If for some reason, increasing pressure in your airway does not reduce hypopneas, then giving you a CPAP would be the wrong thing to do.

Therefore a titration study does 2 things:
1. Confirm CPAP or other PAP is a valid solution to the bad sleep and O2 desaturation problems; and
2. Figure out the lower and upper limits needed at various stages of sleep.

If things get really interesting during the titration study, then they will determine if you need a Bilevel or ventilator or some other more technically complex machine.

To us patients, we don't see all the effort and analysis that goes into titration study. They are looking for the simplest solution to our sleep/breathing problems. However, some patients need more complex solutions. Based on those results and other co-existing conditions in the patient, the doctor will make a recommended pressure and machine prescription in order to achieve the best outcome for the patient.

Hi there and thanks for the explanation about CPAP use. I will probably be having a titration study then, which is good to see what i need. Yes indeed us patients don't know the hard work our doctors and other medical professionals do for us in helping us with our conditions. I have the highest respect for the medical profession, without them we wouldn't get treated.

Best Wishes
Sweet Birdsong Smile

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 223 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 75 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 529 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Can someone take a look at my OSCAR results? 3-4 weeks of CPAP & still improvements senseisaitama 5 131 03-24-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 118 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 143 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.