Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Sleep Study Results
Question 
Sleep Study Results
Dear Forum Members i am a newbie to your forum and have my sleep study results but no official diagnosis yet. I am to see my Respiratory Consultant next week about my results and was wondering if any of you know at what stage treatment is needed. The diagnosis on my study results is Mild Obstructive Sleep Apnea Syndrome.

These are my results would appreciate anyone's thoughts.

TST: 03:25:00
Sleep Efficiency [%] 42.7
Sleep latency stage 1: 00:1:13:59
Sleep latency stage 2: 01:24:29
Deep sleep latency: 03:25:59
Wake index: 28 (8.2)

Respiratory Analysis
Obstructive: 4 (1.2)
Total A. 4 (1.2)
Hypopnoea: 22 (6.4)
A+H. 26 (7.6)
RDI: 26 (7.6)
Max. Apnoea Duration [s] 11
Max. Hypopnoea Dur. [s] 32
Average Apnoea. Dur. [s] 9.9
Average Hypopnoea Dur. [s] 20.9

02 Saturation
Number of Desaturations: 18 (5.3)
Minimal Sp02 [%] 88. Time: 04.45.00
Baseline 02 Saturation. 92
Number of Desaturations < 90% 2 Time 0.3%
Sum of all desaturations 00:5:21. 2.6%
Average Circulatory delays 16.1

Heart Rate
Narrow Complex Tachycardia. 1 (0.3)
Max HR [bmp] 104 Time 00:35:57
Min. HR [bmp] 61 Time 04:44:58
Artefact (min) 0.3 (0.1%)

PLM
Total LMs index. 45 (13.2)
PLMs with Arousal index. 1 (0.3)
LMs with Arousal index. 2 (0.6)

Snore Analysis
Snore (Index) 659 (192.9)
Snore episodic [%TST] 17.3

Arousal
Total 76 (22.2)
Spontaneous A. 51 (14.9)

Findings
Severely poor sleep
Fragmented sleep architecture
No significant PLMs recorded.
Most respiratory events recorded were hypopneas occurred mostly on supine position.

Diagnosis Mild Obstructive Sleep Apnea Syndrome.

Sorry for such a long post but any thoughts on helping me understand my results and treatment if needed would be much appreciated.

Sweet Birdsong : )
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleep Study Results
In short, you have mild obstructive sleep apnea with mostly hypopnea (shallow breathing) events that causes you minor oxygen desaturations and poor sleep architecture. You will probably be getting a second test for titration, or if you're lucky an automatic CPAP (APAP) so you can self titrate. You could probably self-treat by staying off your back at night.

This test is in a clinical environment and may or may not be typical for you. What prompted you to get tested?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider

Thank you for your reply. I have been attending a Respiratory Consultant for 5 years now. I have mild asthma and old TB. I had sinus surgery in 2011 and i have pulmonary function tests 3 times a year. My consultant felt i should have a sleep study done because i have been having a lot of problems in the past couple of months. The main symptoms are extreme tiredness during the day not able to do much and i am quite clumsy. My eyes have also being given me a lot of problems, blurry vision and feeling off balance. I have a tendency for convergence spasm so have been advised to get strong reading glasses to try and correct the convergence and accommodation of my eyes.

I feel quite out of kilter since September 2014, I've had many tests and nothing could be found that could be causing these symptoms. I am currently seeing a Neurologist, who has seen my sleep study results and he still would like me to have a neurophyscometry assessment done. I have very foggy memory and find it hard to concentrate or carry out simple tasks. I am wondering if the sleep apnea could be causing all of this? I am concerned about driving also with this sleepiness. I am going to discuss all of this with my consultant and see what he thinks. I feel i should hold off on the neurophyscometry test until i know if maybe the sleep apnea could be the cause.

I also need to have an echo of my heart done soon. I feel extremely tired all the time. I am 45 years old and i smoke but i have reduced to 8-10, and I know I have to quit completely. My consultant has been telling me this from day 1, but now i know they are killing me so they have to go.

Just like to mention about the old TB, My consultant thinks i may have had it as a child but was probably treated for a chest infection. What is titration? I have read that mild obstructive sleep apnea may be treated without CPAP, in my case i don't know what my consultant will advise.

Sweet Birdsong

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Sweet Birdsong,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more answers to your questions and much success to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi there trish6hundred

Many thanks for your welcome! Yes i hope to stay with this forum for their advice on sleep apnea.

Thanks
Sweet Birdsong : )
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Sweet Birdsong.

It seems that your apnea issues relate mainly to hypopneas while sleeping on your back. A hypopnea is a reduction in airflow (typically 50% or more) for at least ten seconds. On the other hand an apnea is a complete cessation of breathing for ten seconds or more. So an hypopnea is not as serious as a full apnea, but can still cause the undesirable effects that sleep apnea is noted for. The good news is that it should respond well to PAP therapy. Other options include mandibular advancement devices (a fancy mouth guard) and surgery (last resort when all else has failed). In the meantime, try sleeping on your side - you might find that helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome Sweet Birdsong!
Don't fret about the diagnosis. You are a mild case that they diagnosed on a short time (3 hours 25 mins). The medical folks may do a titration study on you. That is a sleep study where you sleep with a machine that they control. As you are sleeping, they will adjust the pressures up and down to confirm what minimum pressure is needed at the lightest part of your sleep to stop the events, and the highest pressure needed when you are sleeping deeply.

The hardest part will be finding a mask that fits you comfortably, and getting used to being attached to a hose. The machine itself is often less troublesome than the attachments!

If you have a long-term RT you work with, I have no doubt they will help you adjust to this new device. Best wishes for your new therapy!
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-10-2015, 07:53 PM)DeepBreathing Wrote: Hi Sweet Birdsong.

It seems that your apnea issues relate mainly to hypopneas while sleeping on your back. A hypopnea is a reduction in airflow (typically 50% or more) for at least ten seconds. On the other hand an apnea is a complete cessation of breathing for ten seconds or more. So an hypopnea is not as serious as a full apnea, but can still cause the undesirable effects that sleep apnea is noted for. The good news is that it should respond well to PAP therapy. Other options include mandibular advancement devices (a fancy mouth guard) and surgery (last resort when all else has failed). In the meantime, try sleeping on your side - you might find that helps.

Many thanks for your thoughts. I still don't know what my consultant will recommend for my sleep apnea, but everyone on the forum thinks CPAP would be good for me. I think my oxygen is a little low and maybe causing a lot of my sleepiness also. I'll know this week what he'll recommend. I am a smoker and now know they have to go asap, i have reduced to 8-10 from 20, but they certainly are not helping my oxygen levels whatsoever.

He has told me to quit numerous times, this time i think he'll lay it on the table big-time. Dreading in a way facing him, but hopefully he will understand that i have gotten a good wake-up call and i will now give it my best shot to quit.

Best Wishes
Sweet Birdsong Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-11-2015, 12:08 PM)trailrider Wrote: Welcome Sweet Birdsong!
Don't fret about the diagnosis. You are a mild case that they diagnosed on a short time (3 hours 25 mins). The medical folks may do a titration study on you. That is a sleep study where you sleep with a machine that they control. As you are sleeping, they will adjust the pressures up and down to confirm what minimum pressure is needed at the lightest part of your sleep to stop the events, and the highest pressure needed when you are sleeping deeply.

The hardest part will be finding a mask that fits you comfortably, and getting used to being attached to a hose. The machine itself is often less troublesome than the attachments!

If you have a long-term RT you work with, I have no doubt they will help you adjust to this new device. Best wishes for your new therapy!

Hi there and thank you for your reply.

Yes my sleep was for a short time, but they actually wrote two times. One is 3 hours and 25 minutes being my total sleep time. The other one i did not mention was the total sleep period which was 05:48:30 and the sleep change index was 65 (8.1) wake index 28 (8.2) Haven't a clue what it all means!

The thing is lights went out at 11 and they stopped the study at 7a.m. so i don't know if my results are based on the 3 or 5 hours sleep. Why is titration needed is it for the flow that is needed for each individual case? Does everyone when they are first diagnosed have to have titration?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Best Wishes
Sweet Birdsong Smile

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-10-2015, 07:53 PM)DeepBreathing Wrote: Hi Sweet Birdsong.

Hi there and thank you for your thoughts. It's great to know that Hypopnoea is not as serious as a full apnea. It's also great to know that it can be treated well with CPAP. I smoke so they are going asap! My respiratory consultant has been telling to quit for years, this time when i see him it'll be the first time i will be serious when he tells me to quit and i am determined to give it my best shot. I will see him this week so i am going to update you guy's on his recommendations.

I did reduce my smoking from 20 to 8-10, but my oxygen levels have given me a good wake-up call, CPAP won't help much if i don't quit the cigarettes, i think he'll say that also, one would over ride the other, so i have to do my part as well.

Best Wishes
Sweet Birdsong Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 227 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 76 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 530 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Can someone take a look at my OSCAR results? 3-4 weeks of CPAP & still improvements senseisaitama 5 131 03-24-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 118 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 143 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.