Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My Story (so far)
RE: My Story (so far)
(01-15-2019, 09:12 PM)Stemwinder Wrote: As suggested  I am posting some new charts. I am still noticing quite a bit of variation in my results as you will see in my charts. I feel I can blame the increased AHI in the last two days to a bad cold. It has been bad enough that I did not use my machine 3 days this past week. As soon as I could get half way clear nasal passages I went back on therapy. I need to find a FFM that I can tolerate for such nights. 

I am still seeing a noticeable percentage of CA events, I am eight weeks into restarting therapy, I feel these are treatment emergent,if so hopefully they will go away soon. 

I have read that heart conditions can have an effect on treatment. I do not know it this is significant or not but I do have a heart murmur, it has been judged to be innocent, meaning that it has no noticeable effect on my heart function.

On a CPAP, Auto CPAP, and even a Bi-Level without backup rate your CA events will be consistently inconsistent. Only an ASV will adequately treat Central events.

On the nasal issue,  I use the P10 pillows, and when I get bad, really bad nasal congestion, I just force myself to use the P10 for 5 to 10 minutes, this period include a good deal of mouth breathing as my nose is plugged.  Eventually the pressure wins out and I can breathe normally thru the P10.  I used to believe that all nasal users needed a FFM as backup for these situations but I have found that persistence wins here.  I will add that until the "break-thru" is achieved it is hard.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks jaswilliams, I have already reduced my flex setting to 1, would I benefit from turning it completely off? I wouldn't mind trying it without flex if it might help.  

My initial sleep study called for a setting of 12. I initially had problems exhaling against that pressure so I was switched to auto with a setting of 8 to 17. I have been slowly narrowing the range, currently I'm at 10 to 13. Maybe its time to tweak the settings some more.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-16-2019, 09:15 AM)bonjour Wrote: On a CPAP, Auto CPAP, and even a Bi-Level without backup rate your CA events will be consistently inconsistent. Only an ASV will adequately treat Central events.

On the nasal issue,  I use the P10 pillows, and when I get bad, really bad nasal congestion, I just force myself to use the P10 for 5 to 10 minutes, this period include a good deal of mouth breathing as my nose is plugged.  Eventually the pressure wins out and I can breathe normally thru the P10.  I used to believe that all nasal users needed a FFM as backup for these situations but I have found that persistence wins here.  I will add that until the "break-thru" is achieved it is hard.

Fred

Thanks bonjour, I'm still hoping the Central Events will go away on their own, I went back and looked at some charts from 18 months ago when I started my first try with CPAP, on these charts there were little or no central events. This tells me they are treatment emergent, given time if I'm lucky they will go away. 

I use dreamwear nasal pillows and I am beginning to see what you mean about the pressure eventually winning out, I have gone to bed fairly stuffed up the last few nights, from now on I will at least give them a try before giving up for the night.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Arrow Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here SuperSleeper 1,364 626,279 03-24-2024, 07:19 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Long story short chronic 5 384 02-18-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: chronic
  TechieHippie's story: "mild" apnea but clusters of SpO2 drops TechieHippie 17 1,066 02-12-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
Cool Success story. ASV - switched from full face to nasal mask 00derek 2 905 11-25-2023, 06:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Angry [Equipment] KILLER STORY ON PHILLIPS CPAP MACHINES srlevine1 10 2,023 11-03-2023, 08:27 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Geer1's Story - It isn't always Apnea (or UARS) Geer1 8 1,132 05-20-2023, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Llort
  Another Collar Success Story MickTravis 12 1,843 04-02-2023, 08:44 PM
Last Post: Lucid

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.