Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Soft cervical collar + no pillow = backache?
Soft cervical collar + no pillow = backache?
Hi all,

A soft cervical collar has reduced my OA events significantly, sometimes as low as 2 or 3 OA events total.  Last night I slept with a collar and no pillow.  I had zero OA events, a first for me.  I also woke with a horrible lower backache.  I NEVER have backaches, even though I'm obese (BMI 28).

Here's what I want to know: Is sleeping without a pillow a common source of backaches? Is no pillow plus a soft cervical collar a recipe for a backache?

I like driving down the number of OA events, but not at the cost of having a backache.

Thanks for any info.

Lance

(I haven't done an introductory post--I figured this was a general enough question that it isn't about my situation in particular.)
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
RE: Soft cervical collar + no pillow = backache?
I wouldn't say sleeping without a pillow is a common cause of back aches although doing so for the first time after decades of sleeping with a pillow might be considered a common cause. Try using consecutively thinner pillows or give it a while to see if body adapts and pain goes away.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Soft cervical collar + no pillow = backache?
How does your collar fit? I have a small neck, and the collar made for normal people is enormously too big on me.  Grin  The two ends were lapping over each other, and the sticky velcro tab was way over on the stockinette rather than on the velcro "landing strip"

I actually cut it apart and cut out 5-1/2 inches worth of foam and then sewed it back together. (yes, that's 25% of the length!) Now the two foam edges butt up against each other and the velcro tab lands on the place it's supposed to. And more importantly, there isn't this big lump under the back of my neck -- which was pretty uncomfortable with or without a pillow. And, yeah, at least for me the lump would cause me to tense up my muscles, including back muscles.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Nasal pillow mask leak with side sleeping jmac862 10 229 06-11-2021, 10:34 AM
Last Post: fstrife
  Wow!! Evora Nasal Pillow! Amazing! tierdal 19 818 06-02-2021, 03:45 PM
Last Post: BreatheRight
  Does my data suggest the need for a cervical collar? gadgetmaniah 6 168 06-02-2021, 11:55 AM
Last Post: gadgetmaniah
  Sleep apnoea pillow? Chalkie 8 352 05-22-2021, 12:56 PM
Last Post: CorruptAlligator
  [Equipment] Pillow/mask setting impact on data apneaeric 2 228 04-24-2021, 09:06 PM
Last Post: clownbell
  What size pillow for Airfit p10 (in place of p30i)? Benzi 10 419 04-19-2021, 11:10 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] Switched from nasal pillow to full mask - huge AHI increase pstrjds 8 408 04-18-2021, 12:12 PM
Last Post: Hydrangea

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.