Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Some help for a new guy please
Some help for a new guy please
Hello everyone greetings from Canada, I am new to this site and new to the sleep apnea treatment. I have a few questions and I am hoping I am at the right place in this forum? 
Firstly I have moderate sleep apnea 21 events per hour during the sleep study. I started therapy with a rental dreamstation about two months ago. I had heard that it was pretty much a lifesaver and it was going to help me a lot having more energy during the day but I find myself sleeping so well now that I have a hard time getting out of bed! I just want to sleep! I feel groggy and even more sleepy than before therapy? Is this normal at first? It seems like before therapy I was running on “nerves” or adrenaline or something and I suspected sleep apnea for at least the past ten years or so but my family doctor just didn’t believe in sleep clinics or apnea! 
Could it be that I feel so tired because my body is recuperating from so many years of bad sleep?
Will I eventually feel refreshed?
Any thoughts or insights would be greatly appreciated.
 By the way my 90% pressure is at 6.9
My 30 day AHI average is at 4.6

Ok so I also have other questions about this machine dreamstation... My rental ends this week and I was thinking of trying the air sense 10 apap from resmed. Any body have any experience using both ? Like which they prefer? Believe it or not before the rental of the dreamstation I tried a resmed s8 and my AHI index was actually lower with the old machine than this new one? So of ofcourse I am wondering irbid resmed technology is more  sensitive?

Thanks a bunch!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Some help for a new guy please
We tend to recommend the Resmed here as it responds a bit quicker and the EPR works he same way as a limited pressure support. But both machines are the gold standard but the Dreamstation needs to have pressure closer to optimum for the same effectiveness.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to Apnea Board, I agree about the Resmed airsense 10 Auto being better. As far as being tired that's normal. It takes awhile for your body to recover from the lack of sleep from all those years. You might want to also download sleepyhead software which will give you much more data than either Dreammapper or Resmeds Myair will give you. The links just below.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
If you have done any searching on this site you probably have noticed sleepyhead charts. This is what you should download so that your results can be displayed for fine tuning. It is free. 

I do have experience using both. I chose the dreamstation because the airsense was too aggressive, but that is just me (I have other lung issues) and it is a long story

Everyone is different on their initial reaction to cpap and how long it takes to feel better. At least you seem to be adjusting to it.

Please post sleepyhead charts for further comments.

car54
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow that was quick for the answers ! Thanks a bunchSmile
I will be looking into the sleepyhead program also but I don’t understand how to download it? I downloaded it on my pc but it’s just a bunch of files. I’m not very good with computers.
Post Reply Post Reply
There should have been an auto play effecting of the software, but if it's not set up for that on your computer, look in the files for one with the suffix ".exe".  That's the one you need to launch it.  You'll have to create a profile, and when it's competed and recognized, and the app opens, you will use the 'select profile' part and click on it with your profile in the large text box highlighted.  From there, it will ask you where to get some data, and that should come from an SD card in your machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks so much for the sleepyhead info!
Post Reply Post Reply
The Beginner's Guide to Sleepyhead has a lot of help for installing and using #Sleepyhead for the first time. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead Lots more too.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.