Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Humidifier
Humidifier
I have a system One with a humidifier and heated hose.
I don't seem to be getting enough humidity. Nose feels quite dry.
In the morning the base plate of the humidifier is about body temperature as it does not feel hot or cold.
After an 8 hour night about a 1/3 of the water has been used, maybe a tad more.
I have the setting for humidity and hose temp maxed out.

Is there any way of increasing the humidity?
Any machines supply higher humidity than others?

Thanks

Bruce
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Humidifier
Before searching for the solution, I would consider the nature of the problem itself ... you are experiencing a dry nose. Are you well-hydrated before sleep? Have you altered your drug regimen (if any)? Do you have any nasal congestion?

Perhaps there is a problem with your electronics. I would first verify that the humidifier is working correctly. You can do this by periodically checking the base plate to see if it is actually warming at the higher settings. Also, you can turn off the humidifier and measure the current draw before and after the humidifier is turned on.

And, since you are in OZ, could it be that the environmental conditions are spoofing the machine into thinking there is already enough humidity in the environment? I have a cheap humidity gauge that I purchased online for $20 USD and when the humidity in the room rises, it appears that my unit actually dries out my nose.

All the heated hose does is to prevent condensation from forming in the hose and to some extent the mask. Unless you are experiencing condensation in the hose or mask ("rainout"), I would leave it off or at its minimal setting.

Best of luck with a solution.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
thanks for your quick reply.
Have not changed medication. Always tended to have dry nose worse with machine.
In area where the relative humidity is always high.
Will try some of your suggestions, thanks

Bruce
Post Reply Post Reply
Turn off System One humidification and use the manual settings.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-08-2017, 08:13 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Turn off System One humidification and use the manual settings.

like Great idea to simply override the machine's defaults if you know that the humidifier is working properly. Easy to test tonight with no muss and no fuss.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, that did it.
You would think that when they test these machines they would do it in all climate types.
Post Reply Post Reply
You could also try using Simply Saline (or similar) before you go to bed and whenever you happen to get up in the night. My experience is that it pulls moisture into the nostril, dilutes whatever gunk you might have going in your throat, and feels great besides.

Aim saline away from the middle partition in your nose.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-09-2017, 05:16 PM)Bruce456 Wrote: Thanks, that did it.
You would think that when they test these machines they would do it in all climate types.

Bruce, I used the System One and learned early on the automatic humidification um sucked.  I pretty much recommend the use of manual settings in all brands and types of machines.  Some users need the auto settings to avoid condensation, but most people can figure out that if you increase humidity or experience condensation, you may need to increase hose temperature.   Glad it worked out.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 755 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 445 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 351 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior
  Extra Humidifier Water in Arid Climates DFWdude 19 2,160 12-13-2023, 08:23 AM
Last Post: car54
  AirMini with Dreamstation Go humidifier chwang733 0 319 12-12-2023, 03:53 PM
Last Post: chwang733
  Humidifier wattage - Anyone know Pse? Kingsway 10 785 11-22-2023, 03:31 PM
Last Post: Kingsway
  Document request: ResMed humidifier settings rpierce 2 514 10-21-2023, 01:28 PM
Last Post: rpierce

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.