Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Surgery in Ontario/Canada?
RE: Surgery in Ontario/Canada?
Hi tgreen,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Trish and Marillion!
Post Reply Post Reply
How is your airway? do you have a retruded lower jaw?
Post Reply Post Reply
Tgreen

Your link to Spetoplasty, Turbinate Reduction/UVPP was interesting and informative. Thanks for that.

However maybe I am not understanding the stats for the combined procedure which I have copied below. If the numbers of events are noted as per hour, Is it not confirming that the surgery has not 'cured' OSA?

Surgery Type: Mul -Level Upper Airway Surgery
Combina on of UVPP / TONSILLECTOMY / SEPTOPLASTY / TURBINATE REDUCTION

Pre Op     Post Op   P-Value
AHI (average)             47.7      19.4        0.000
AHI (supine)               59.5      30.8        0.000
AHI (non-supine)        36.6      10.9         0.000
AHI (REM)                  38.6      15.4        0.000
AHI (non-REM)            48.1      21.1       0.000
Arousal Respiratory      42.3      15.5       0.000
Arousal Spontaneous    17.6      16.2       0.28

Would appreciate someone enlightening me OR are the numbers for the whole night of this individual who is being tested?
Sleepyhead in 5 easy steps
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Apnea Infant, Looking at the chart mentioned it shows AHI. So the numbers are per hour and yes your correct none of those numbers show the OSA treated.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
tgreen,

Welcome to Apnea Board and best wishes to success. Not wished sarcastically contrary to screen name BTW.

This subject is quite interesting. History of myself on this subject: 2015 I was obese (300 pounds and BMI of 41) and looked to PCP for assistance on getting "better" from several illnesses and not feeling well chronically. Both original primary care, and the second after insurance coverage mandated doc change, suggested CPAP for apneas. I discussed other things as I failed compliance on CPAP; could not get used to it, had yet to find AB forum, zero knowledge of how to help self succeed. My PCP and I explored various surgery, etc. options available, and after visiting an ENT who said no surgery would help me nearly as much as weight loss and a CPAP.

Later in mid-'15, I began early stages of obtaining a weight loss surgery called bariatric sleeve surgery. It was successfully done 9/2016. I lost overall 100 pounds in 6 months, held that weight to the one year mark. Unfortunately, I have gained about 20 pound back as I cannot exercise at all with the back pain from several issues, and the COPD restricts me even further.

Anyway, I still need apnea therapy. I had to progress through 4 sleep studies to gain real apnea therapy results via my ASV machine. I had to try and fail CPAP and BPAP, which I did fail both. I then was given the ASV to deal with mixed apnea. It is now successfully bringing my AHI below 1.9 on a weekly average, down from over 70 untreated. So the bottom line is surgeries of any sort aren't a guarantee you will not need CPAP therapy at some point, as you are already aware of that possibility. Would I have done my weight loss surgery despite the fact I wanted to avoid being a hoser on CPAP and still needed it? Yes I would do it again, I do count the surgery to have been a success.

A sincere best wishes that whatever you decide to do will help you be healthier and feeling better overall. Just thought I'd share my short sketch of history. Keep us updated, as I personally am interested to hear of your successful treatment, regardless of the method you use to gain better health.

lots-o-coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Do not intend to hijack Tgreen's thread but wish to say,

Dave

That weight loss surgery was a good thing and it did help you lose a enormous amount of weight, even in total. 80 lbs loss is not to be sniffed at, so well done you.

Wish you all the best in treating other issues. Reading your posts online, I feel confident that you will find best possible and available.
Sleepyhead in 5 easy steps

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks much. At least I can scratch off sleep apnea as being treated successfully with ASV.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone, and that's amazing Dave! It's hard for someone with apnea to lose weight (creating the vicious cycle of weight making things worst). This is definitely anecdotal, and I wouldn't recommend it, but I have a couple of friends who decided to lose weight by just starving themselves. It's obviously not the healthiest way to lose weight, but since apnea patients have less energy to work out/exercise, I wonder if that's a good option. Again, wouldn't recommend it, ask your doctor.

And yea, Apnea Infant, it's per hour. For me, reducing it from severe to mild is a success, though I'm hoping for more (unlikely, but still hoping). I was considering getting an MMA, which is really effective, but i don't think it's worth a month of downtime plus pain.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, I could not help from losing weight after 70% of my stomach was surgically removed via the sleeve method. If you imagine what a normal human stomach is shaped versus mine: mine now is banana shaped. I was restricted to 1,000 calories per day the first year, so that had a bit to do with the loss as well. It certainly worked as intended.

Best to your own future success however it comes.

Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,224 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  After major surgery Issues DANNOGA 5 253 02-26-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Talk me into or out of surgery BoxcarPete 30 1,952 01-27-2024, 11:05 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Nasal Surgery and CPAP tolerance Norman2195 6 706 12-27-2023, 11:19 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  [Treatment] Very frustrated after radiofrequency tongue base reduction surgery phitom816 4 1,363 12-03-2023, 02:51 PM
Last Post: Too Sleepy
  Thoughts on my data (after double jaw surgery) accetableplaintain 2 420 11-27-2023, 06:30 AM
Last Post: accetableplaintain
  Tonsillectomy and UPPP surgery Jen0628jen 3 598 11-02-2023, 09:21 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.