Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Surgery in Ontario/Canada?
RE: Surgery in Ontario/Canada?

.......And yea, Apnea Infant, it's per hour. For me, reducing it from severe to mild is a success, though I'm hoping for more (unlikely, but still hoping). I was considering getting an MMA, which is really effective, but i don't think it's worth a month of downtime plus pain.......

But why would you do all that to yourself when CPAP treats even severe Sleep Apnea??

It is completely your call but every surgery, however small, carries severe risks!!!!!!
Sleepyhead in 5 easy steps
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
A couple of reasons:
1. I don't even need a CPAP now, I have a positional device that works just as well (my apnea only happens when I'm on my back). This is for later (if I'm young and fit and I still have OSA, it means it's going to get better when I get older)
2. I'm young so there will be less complications than if I get it later, so if it doesn't work I can always try something else, and I'm most likely going to get a reduction in AHI. Every patient I've talked to who had the surgery, even if they didn't get their OSA completely cured, said that their breathing got easier. For me, that's totally worth it, with an upside of even curing it.
3. Not every surgery carries severe risks. Some do, some don't. A UPPP is relatively safe.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hmm. So I guess they won't be asking you to sign a release form.

Annoyed-and-disappointed
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Oh, I totally understand the risks, and will sign the release form.

While I know you guys have my best interests at heart, I'm annoyed of the condescending tones some people have. Again, I understand CPAP works. And that it's the best solution for most people. I also have read multiple papers and have a science degree with a statistics minor, so it's not like I don't understand what will happen and the risks involved.

I understand how strongly some people feel against surgery, but it's a case by case basis. Just because CPAP will work for me doesn't mean it's the best solution based off of the things I value. I simple value different things than some people in the forum.

I went to this forum seeking support and asking for referrals. It's been 3 pages and I've gotten a bunch of condescending messages (when I made it clear I understood the risks in the first post) and ZERO referrals. For reference, I've asked other support groups and have gotten 2 surgeons as recommendations, and one person even offered to tell me in detail exactly what happened with the surgeon and the side effects they had.

Could some of you guys give me some benefit of the doubt that there are people who have done surgery who do NOT regret it? And that there are other people who have done it and got their apnea fixed? And that there are people, who even after their apnea relapsed, don't regret the surgery because it helped them breathe better?
Post Reply Post Reply
I give you credit, I was just poking fun at the term relatively safe. Like I said before Good Luck. I always hope someone having surgery comes out OK.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hiya

You are likely to get a range of views in an open world wide forum like this. You can see from Walla's avatar he is a bit of a joker and I have come to enjoy his well intentioned comments and humour.

I really wish you the best in any decision you take and would love to hear about your decision making and taking process as collective knowledge helps us all.
Sleepyhead in 5 easy steps

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,224 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  After major surgery Issues DANNOGA 5 250 02-26-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Talk me into or out of surgery BoxcarPete 30 1,951 01-27-2024, 11:05 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Nasal Surgery and CPAP tolerance Norman2195 6 706 12-27-2023, 11:19 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  [Treatment] Very frustrated after radiofrequency tongue base reduction surgery phitom816 4 1,363 12-03-2023, 02:51 PM
Last Post: Too Sleepy
  Thoughts on my data (after double jaw surgery) accetableplaintain 2 419 11-27-2023, 06:30 AM
Last Post: accetableplaintain
  Tonsillectomy and UPPP surgery Jen0628jen 3 598 11-02-2023, 09:21 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.