Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Treating UARS with CPAP and bilevel
RE: UARS and APAP
Just an update.

For past six weeks, I've been at a higher min EPAP, based on hypothesis I want settings that minimize pressure changes. 

I doubt this alone accounts for subsequent improvement in sleep, and that time is a more likely factor (I'm at close to six months at this point), but quantity and quality of sleep has  consistently, with some deviations, been improving over this time. 

A few times over past week or two I've slept over 8, and even 9, hours without waking up at all, which was a goal I articulated earlier in this thread.

PS - Could a mod please change the thread title to something like "UARS, APAP, bielevel" to better reflect it's evolution?
Caveats: I'm just a patient, with no medical training.
Post Reply Post Reply
For what it's worth, thank you for this thread -- I just finished making my way through it as I have a similar situation and a VAuto as well, and I've learned a lot.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-01-2020, 09:30 PM)geauxdbl Wrote: For what it's worth, thank you for this thread -- I just finished making my way through it as I have a similar situation and a VAuto as well, and I've learned a lot.

Such a good reminder, geauxbl. These threads so often help not just the OP but other members as well. In a way, raising your problem to the community can be a way of giving to the community. How about that!
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-01-2020, 09:30 PM)geauxdbl Wrote: For what it's worth, thank you for this thread -- I just finished making my way through it as I have a similar situation and a VAuto as well, and I've learned a lot.

Thanks!

That was my hope. I noticed a lot of threads seem to end prematurely when OPs either figure it out, and so don't have anything to report, or give up.

Good luck with the VAuto.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Treating UARS with CPAP and bilevel
Another update, mostly to include the Dreem 2-derived sleep stage data I've been keeping track of (though not too closely). The attached screenshot is from a pre-release version of OSCAR that includes Dreem import.

There are two things I pay attention to, more than others, from the tracker:
  1. "REM Consolidation Index," aka "mean REM duration," which is a metric that Barry Krakow proposed to evaluate how well UARS pap treatment is working. He argued the goal should be above 15. Most nights I'm above 20 (the spreadsheet fragment is from last month).
  2. the quantity and relative distribution of REM and SWS (deep sleep) stages. This night was more-or-less perfect.
On the "not too closely" point above: I'm just generally tracking trends in these data at this point. It's actually been a couple of weeks since I've updated the data for 1, for example, since I'm mostly sleeping pretty well.

Post Reply Post Reply
Slowriter, do we know when this version of Oscar might be released? I'm feeling motivated by this prospect to try a Dreem device.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-15-2020, 06:11 PM)Dormeo Wrote: Slowriter, do we know when this version of Oscar might be released?  I'm feeling motivated by this prospect to try a Dreem device.

When it is ready.  We have made major changes to the code that reads and stores the SD Card data, that part should be transparent to you the user, but it does enable us to make more changes going forward.  We are internally testing those now working towards our next Beta, Beta 2.
Post Reply Post Reply
Do you have any sense of what the one or two breath large intakes/exhales of air are that occur every 15-30 minutes?  Like where the flowrate is just going along pretty steady and then there's a single breath which is large?  Is it sleep stage transitions?  limb movement/kicks?
I have these as well and I'm trying to chase down what they are because they are sometimes followed by arousals.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-16-2020, 02:56 PM)tarah Wrote: Do you have any sense of what the one or two breath large intakes/exhales of air are that occur every 15-30 minutes?  Like where the flowrate is just going along pretty steady and then there's a single breath which is large?  Is it sleep stage transitions?  limb movement/kicks?
I have these as well and I'm trying to chase down what they are because they are sometimes followed by arousals.

No, but I'd be curious for an answer as well!

What I can say:
  • I have seen no evidence of PLMD, either in two sleep studies, or the couple/few nights I recorded myself.
  • If you compare to the sleep stage graph, doesn't appear to have any correspondence to sleep stage transition.
  • The Dreem does track position changes, which can account for this sort of thing. But I don't tend to change position that much; say a handful of times per night on average.
So it's a mystery to me; including whether even to worry about it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-15-2020, 06:30 PM)bonjour Wrote:
(02-15-2020, 06:11 PM)Dormeo Wrote: Slowriter, do we know when this version of Oscar might be released?  I'm feeling motivated by this prospect to try a Dreem device.

When it is ready.  We have made major changes to the code that reads and stores the SD Card data, that part should be transparent to you the user, but it does enable us to make more changes going forward.  We are internally testing those now working towards our next Beta, Beta 2.

Thanks for the information, Bonjour, and MANY thanks for all the wonderful work the Oscar team is doing. It is literally life-changing.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 20 908 1 hour ago
Last Post: SingleH
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 151 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 0 54 Yesterday, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Humancyclone7
  New BiPAP user with UARS(?) tk2234 23 610 03-24-2024, 08:11 PM
Last Post: tk2234
  [Pressure] Bipap settings help? UARS and not sure what I'm doing Christina5818 6 193 03-23-2024, 02:52 PM
Last Post: Christina5818
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,953 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Catathrenia +/- UARS: Bilevel or ASV or other? empiricismandstatistics 0 77 03-21-2024, 04:37 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.