Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Treating UARS with CPAP and bilevel
RE: UARS and APAP
Last night looked cleaner overall, though still some odd fragments.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=14541]
[Image: attachment.php?aid=14543]
[Image: attachment.php?aid=14542]
Post Reply Post Reply
I think you are getting there and probably will need a higher pressure to clear the remaining events. If I were you, I would try it at 10 in a couple of days (if you can tolerate it) just to see if it keeps getting better with higher pressures. 

I would also try to convince my doctor to switch to a Bipap. This way you'll be able to experiment with higher pressures to clear the remaining flow limitations. Just bring some graphs and show your exhalation and tell him you have trouble breathing on a higher pressure. Insurance usually requires you to fail CPAP before switching to a Bipap.
Post Reply Post Reply
Right. 

And based on the pattern here, we'd expect the inhalation curves to continue to improve at higher pressure, and the expiration ones to get worse.

Interestingly, my sleep center's prescription forms have a pretty straightforward, patient outcome-focused, checklist for justification of bilevel.
Post Reply Post Reply
Pressure=10

Again, CAs at end are while awake, after what seems to be a RERA.

I don't think this changes my view that I should see about getting a bilevel.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=14611]
[Image: attachment.php?aid=14612]
Post Reply Post Reply
Just a few thoughts.

Some of the zoomed in shots appear to show awake breathing, although without surrounding context it’s hard to tell.

The oscillations that are right on the x axis between breaths may be cardioballistic, meaning they reflect some pressure changes exerted by your heartbeat. Nothing to worry about.

I hope you’ll be able to get a prescription for a ResMed VAuto, but if you can’t, you might consider buying one yourself. I did that recently to address flow limitations, knowing that my low AHI would mean my insurance would never cover a bilevel machine. I’m still working on adjusting my pressure settings, but from the very first night the improvement in FLs was striking.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. I tried to include a detail graph that also captured "normal" breaths, since they are more representative.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-18-2019, 11:54 AM)Dormeo Wrote: ... I’m still working on adjusting my pressure settings, but from the very first night the improvement in FLs was striking.

And did those improvements correspond to improvements in subjective outcomes for you?
Post Reply Post Reply
The answer is: some, but.... The “but” is there because I have a separate sleep problem that will keep limiting how good I feel until I can resolve it. (I have a lot of pain at night from hip-tendon inflammation; I’m working on it with an orthopedic doctor but it’s going to take time.). But I believe the FLs would have been causing me to feel unrested even if the hip stuff weren’t there. So glad I’m very glad to see improvement in the FLs and will post about that when I finish inching up my PS.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wonder: does anyone have any thoughts about how to approach a possible titration study, which I am guessing the doc will recommend (and insurance may require for a bilevel?)?

It seems to me, there are two basic methodologies:
  1. to raise pressure to eliminate OSAs, hypopneas, and RERAs, and call it a day.
  2. Another, advocated by Krakow, is to go beyond that, and seek to normalize the airflow (both inspiratory and expiratory) and consolidate REM sleep. Hence, his argument in general for higher pressures, and greater pressure support.
The latter intuitively makes more sense to me. How common is that methodology in 2019? Any reason I can't insist on them using that methodology?
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-21-2019, 06:37 PM)slowriter Wrote: I wonder: does anyone have any thoughts about how to approach a possible titration study, which I am guessing the doc will recommend (and insurance may require for a bilevel?)?

It seems to me, there are two basic methodologies:
  1. to raise pressure to eliminate OSAs, hypopneas, and RERAs, and call it a day.
  2. Another, advocated by Krakow, is to go beyond that, and seek to normalize the airflow (both inspiratory and expiratory) and consolidate REM sleep. Hence, his argument in general for higher pressures, and greater pressure support.
The latter intuitively makes more sense to me. How common is that methodology in 2019? Any reason I can't insist on them using that methodology?

Based on my discussion with the doc (who, despite telling me clearly at initial appointment I had UARS, was more focused on OSA), answer to my question is "not really."

I did get a prescription for an in-lab titration study, though, with instructions to make sure I'm entering REM sleep.

Am thinking I'll discuss some of this with the sleep tech (who initially told me I had UARS) when I go in, to hope the study is helpful.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 20 933 5 hours ago
Last Post: SingleH
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 154 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 0 60 Yesterday, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Humancyclone7
  New BiPAP user with UARS(?) tk2234 23 617 03-24-2024, 08:11 PM
Last Post: tk2234
  [Pressure] Bipap settings help? UARS and not sure what I'm doing Christina5818 6 195 03-23-2024, 02:52 PM
Last Post: Christina5818
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,958 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Catathrenia +/- UARS: Bilevel or ASV or other? empiricismandstatistics 0 79 03-21-2024, 04:37 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.