Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Treating UARS with CPAP and bilevel
RE: UARS and APAP
(08-30-2019, 09:36 AM)slowriter Wrote:
(08-30-2019, 09:26 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: You seem to benefit from pressure support, or in your case, EPR.  If you had an Aircurve 10 machine, you would have considerably more control over trigger and cycle sensitivity, minimum and maximum time of inspiration for IPAP, and of course a finer control of pressure support at 0.2 cm increments, rather than EPR settings of 1, 2 or 3.  I think if you have found a pressure that feels most comfortable to you, it might be worth trying an EPR setting of 2 to evaluate if flow limitation increases or CA events are decreased.

Thanks for the explanation.

Key point: I now (as of two days ago; see above) have an Aircurve 10 VAuto!

Here's the settings I have, with the ones marked with asterisk changes I made based on reading threads here.

Mode - S
EPAP - 7
IPAP - 12
Ti Max - 3.0*
Ti Min - 0.3
Trigger - Medium
Cycle - Very High*
Post Reply Post Reply
Titration study results (to eliminate the RERAs):

EPAP - 6
IPAP -12

I forgot to ask, but the tech didn't mention any centrals, so am pretty much assuming what the machine's been reporting there is not worth worrying about.

They did it on a Respironics System One which, interestingly to me, felt very different (much less "natural" transitions between IPAP and EPAP?) than the VAuto.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll be curious how the new settings work for you. I'm not completely sure that the optimal settings on the PR machine will translate directly into the optimal settings on your ResMed machine, but it's good they actually titrated with RERAs in view. About the different feels of the brands: I had home titration on a PR machine and always felt it was trying to hustle into my next breath, but my keeper ResMed machine just followed my lead. Different and, for me, much superior algorithm. I look forward to hearing how things go with 6/12.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-04-2019, 09:46 AM)Dormeo Wrote: I'll be curious how the new settings work for you.  I'm not completely sure that the optimal settings on the PR machine will translate directly into the optimal settings on your ResMed machine, but it's good they actually titrated with RERAs in view.  About the different feels of the brands: I had home titration on a PR machine and always felt it was trying to hustle into my next breath, but my keeper ResMed machine just followed my lead.  Different and, for me, much superior algorithm.  I look forward to hearing how things go with 6/12.

Exactly my impression as well.

And yeah, I was wondering how well the titrations transfer across machines.

I think the key point that I appreciated confirming is that I need a fair bit of PS to resolve the RERAs. I think I'll start (well, continue, as I've had success with this the previous couple of nights) at a PS of 5 tonight, because 6 felt a bit odd.

The tech that did this study was also the one that did the initial sleep study, and the first person to introduce me to UARS. So once I saw she was doing it, I figured she'd get it right.
Post Reply Post Reply
Once you post some charts, you ca fine-tune. I think the PS of 6.0 looks pretty good, and I don't have any problem with using S-mode. Be sure the option for Easybreathe™ is turned ON.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-04-2019, 04:00 AM)slowriter Wrote: Titration study results (to eliminate the RERAs):

EPAP - 6
IPAP -12

I forgot to ask, but the tech didn't mention any centrals, so am pretty much assuming what the machine's been reporting there is not worth worrying about.

They did it on a Respironics System One which, interestingly to me, felt very different (much less "natural" transitions between IPAP and EPAP?) than the VAuto.

Probably because Biflex was turned off on the Dreamstation.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes. When I complained, she mentioned something about turning on biflex.
Post Reply Post Reply
Is S mode (6/12) w/Easy Breathe functionally equivalent to tightly-controlled VAuto (6 min EPAP with 6 PS and max IPAP of 12)?

Does appear that flow limitations aren't recorded in S, so that's one difference.

But beyond that?
Post Reply Post Reply
Below was the night before the study; an example where I slept pretty well. 

Following is last night, with settings derived from the titration study, where I didn't sleep very well.

Only significant difference is the PS (4 vs 6).

Just wondering on strategy; should I:
  1. stay with the higher number and expect to adjust over next few weeks, or ...
  2. ... work up to that gradually over a similar time-frame?
[attachment=15239]
[attachment=15240]
Post Reply Post Reply
BTW, I still think the CAs the machine is reporting are not significant. When I sleep through the night, they mostly go away (as with the first screenshot). When I don't, they come back, regardless of the pressure settings.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to Bilevel and lots of CAs Thorne88 0 51 7 hours ago
Last Post: Thorne88
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 1 97 Yesterday, 03:47 PM
Last Post: SingleH
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 20 991 Yesterday, 03:24 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 177 03-27-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New BiPAP user with UARS(?) tk2234 23 634 03-24-2024, 08:11 PM
Last Post: tk2234
  [Pressure] Bipap settings help? UARS and not sure what I'm doing Christina5818 6 203 03-23-2024, 02:52 PM
Last Post: Christina5818
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,987 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.