Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Treating UARS with CPAP and bilevel
RE: UARS and APAP
Ah, like the zombie index in Sleepyhead/Oscar!
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-08-2019, 12:17 PM)slowriter Wrote: I also wonder if there's a possibly more obvious explanation of continuing arousals, which I've yet to raise: mask annoyance?

I don't get major leaks, but the noise from my mask is quite noticable to me (particularly at these higher pressures), as is the occasional minor leaks when I'm on my side.

Per above, am going to ditch the n30i mask, and instead replace that with the Dreamwear Nasal. Am also experimenting with the Bleep Dreamport system, which in theory may be even better.
Post Reply Post Reply
Two nights with the Bleep mask. Reported CAs now basically gone. 

I don't think that's coincidence, given the dramatic difference. How can a mask impact that??

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-10-2019, 06:07 AM)slowriter Wrote: Two nights with the Bleep mask. Reported CAs now basically gone. 

I don't think that's coincidence, given the dramatic difference. How can a mask impact that??

Maybe your mask was waking you up for some reason (small leak, discomfort, ...) and at the same time you are getting used to the new pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-10-2019, 06:07 AM)slowriter Wrote: How can a mask impact that??....
Not sure!
Be careful, though. Absolute majority those CA has gone where awakeness artifacts, i think.
Suggestions: TV and take close look what imediatelly preceds your awakenings, are they abrupt events or they follow..."abrupt but limited reduction in tidal volume (ie, abnormal increase in upper airway resistance during sleep). The arousal restores normal breathing"

GL
Post Reply Post Reply
Right; I know the previous reported CAs were basically bogus, but the numbers are starkly different.
Post Reply Post Reply
There's something going on here preceding first wake up, but not sure what to make of it.

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-10-2019, 07:35 AM)slowriter Wrote: There's something going on here preceding first wake up, but not sure what to make of it.

Looks like REM sleep but hard to tell just from this small sample. Anyway, if it is REM sleep, you woke up because you were dreaming or because your sleep cycle was ending. It's pretty usual to wake up after a cycle. People just don't remember it most of the time.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-10-2019, 07:45 AM)alexp Wrote:
(09-10-2019, 07:35 AM)slowriter Wrote: There's something going on here preceding first wake up, but not sure what to make of it.

Looks like REM sleep but hard to tell just from this small sample. Anyway, if it is REM sleep, you woke up because you were dreaming or because your sleep cycle was ending. It's pretty usual to wake up after a cycle. People just don't remember it most of the time.

Given the pretty consistent time frame of these, makes total sense.

But most people go back to sleep, and I, almost without exception, wake up (for more than 30 seconds).

This is my primary remaining puzzle to solve.
Post Reply Post Reply
Other odd thing to me is, if you just look at when these happen, it's usually 3 hours or so after I go to bed. That would suggest, wouldn't it, that I get through one sleep cycle without the extended wake up, but not the second. Right?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 2 105 35 minutes ago
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  New to Bilevel and lots of CAs Thorne88 2 72 2 hours ago
Last Post: brainfoggysleeper
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 20 996 Yesterday, 03:24 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 178 03-27-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New BiPAP user with UARS(?) tk2234 23 634 03-24-2024, 08:11 PM
Last Post: tk2234
  [Pressure] Bipap settings help? UARS and not sure what I'm doing Christina5818 6 205 03-23-2024, 02:52 PM
Last Post: Christina5818
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,988 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.