Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Treating UARS with CPAP and bilevel
RE: UARS and APAP
(09-10-2019, 08:00 AM)slowriter Wrote: Other odd thing to me is, if you just look at when these happen, it's usually 3 hours or so after I go to bed. That would suggest, wouldn't it, that I get through one sleep cycle without the extended wake up, but not the second. Right?

Yes. Lot of people wake up at least one time per night so I don't think it's a big deal unless you really have problems going back to sleep.

I personally started waking up after almost every cycles since starting CPAP, which I didn't do before. I think it's just because I'm dreaming a lot more and I'm having more REM sleep than I used to so my body is a bit confused. I'm pretty sure it will get better over time. You may have the same problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-10-2019, 08:11 AM)alexp Wrote:
(09-10-2019, 08:00 AM)slowriter Wrote: Other odd thing to me is, if you just look at when these happen, it's usually 3 hours or so after I go to bed. That would suggest, wouldn't it, that I get through one sleep cycle without the extended wake up, but not the second. Right?

Yes. Lot of people wake up at least one time per night so I don't think it's a big deal unless you really have problems going back to sleep.

I personally started waking up after almost every cycles since starting CPAP, which I didn't do before. I think it's just because I'm dreaming a lot more and I'm having more REM sleep than I used to so my body is a bit confused. I'm pretty sure it will get better over time. You may have the same problem.

The other thing is we think and obsess so much about our sleep when we first start CPAP that we may go to bed a little bit more stressed out and therefore we wake up much more easily.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-10-2019, 08:22 AM)alexp Wrote:
(09-10-2019, 08:11 AM)alexp Wrote:

The other thing is we think and obsess so much about our sleep when we first start CPAP that we may go to bed a little bit more stressed out and therefore we wake up much more easily.

During my initial sleep study, I had virtually 0 REM sleep, so that makes sense.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-10-2019, 07:35 AM)slowriter Wrote: There's something going on here preceding first wake up, but not sure what to make of it.

On sept, 9th. 
Yet a poor night, your appear cycling properly toward N3/N4 and REM, and backward; this is good!
Suddenly wake up at 1:39 would not be associated with flow resctriction, nor with beggining or ending of REM. What cause it? It does not appear spontaneous, based what came some minutes before it. As I told above, that would be a very very iimportant feature to be calibrated by highly sensivite audio-recorder ( I use this when I need: Knup, KP-8011); you would immediately know what happened during such events, particularly there was or not strong scratches on your bed/PLM's).
GL
Post Reply Post Reply
in time....when you post, I strong suggest you always add the leak chart (it may bring lot of information on your moves during sleep, from my experience).

GL
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-10-2019, 11:04 AM)mper6794 Wrote: in time....when you post, I strong suggest you always add the leak chart (it may bring lot of information on your moves during sleep, from my experience).

GL

Right; completely forgot!!

Last night, I opened my mouth a few times (forgot the cervical collar), including for a stretch of time that preceded that wake up! 

I suspect when I add back the collar, leaks go to zero, or very close to it, and hopefully that starts to solve the problem.

I'll look into the recorder. But trying to tackle one thing at a time :-)

Post Reply Post Reply
That recorder doesn't appear to be available in the US. What are the characteristics of it that would allow me to identify something comparable?
Post Reply Post Reply
BTW, I just ordered a Dreem 2 headband, which includes EEG and pulse ox sensors and data reporting. Do I even need a recorder with that data?
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-10-2019, 11:46 AM)slowriter Wrote: BTW, I just ordered a Dreem 2 headband, which includes EEG and pulse ox sensors and data reporting. Do I even need a recorder with that data?

_ the audio recorder: I don't have much details.... I think you could google on it.
_ what an amazing devices you are order! It looks great! don't know nothing on these stuffs.....
_From my side, I am afraid I would not need those for while (hopefuly ever). I consider my curves enoughly calibrated currently, concerning PLM's and flow restrictions arousals/awakenings/wake-ups; I am able to count these two events and much more, separately,  every morning during the 1-hour dedicated to this. I think, I am doing!
_ What remains for me is an ultimate optimum EPAPmin and PS; and the best approach for PLM's, with the least side effects.

GL
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-10-2019, 11:46 AM)slowriter Wrote: BTW, I just ordered a Dreem 2 headband, which includes EEG and pulse ox sensors and data reporting. Do I even need a recorder with that data?

Actually, from reviewing their site, they already do have CSV data export capability for the following data variables, including for movement. Not enough to construct a time-based EEG or movement graph, but still helpful.
  • Sleep duration
  • Sleep onset duration
  • Light sleep duration
  • Deep sleep duration
  • REM duration
  • Wake after sleep onset duration
  • Number of awakenings
  • Position Changes
  • Mean heart rate
  • Mean Respiration CPM
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 20 947 8 hours ago
Last Post: SingleH
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 159 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 0 63 Yesterday, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Humancyclone7
  New BiPAP user with UARS(?) tk2234 23 621 03-24-2024, 08:11 PM
Last Post: tk2234
  [Pressure] Bipap settings help? UARS and not sure what I'm doing Christina5818 6 195 03-23-2024, 02:52 PM
Last Post: Christina5818
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,959 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Catathrenia +/- UARS: Bilevel or ASV or other? empiricismandstatistics 0 79 03-21-2024, 04:37 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.