Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Treating UARS with CPAP and bilevel
RE: UARS and APAP
(09-20-2019, 01:13 PM)mper6794 Wrote:
(09-20-2019, 12:09 PM)slowriter Wrote:
(09-20-2019, 10:56 AM)mper6794 Wrote: ...for me, It is ok, as you are in the phase of getting data. Whatever PS and EPAPmin you choose is going be very useful for ultimateley fine-tuning the numbers you are going to need!

But still eager to see what is going on with your waveforms, particularly those stretches associated with ar/aw/wkps. 

Good luck

Here you go.

..Well, my friend, I wish not, however:

(1) amazingly periodic events;
(2) RR increasing associated; 
(3) leading to wake up; 
(4) during light sleep; 
(5) in a person with UARS!

Unless you are one those very luck guy, this textbook PLM's would not be PLM's. All my efforts and wishes I am deadly wrong!

PS: don't believe in lab studies for PLM. I have two of such studies: zero PLM in one; 97 (31/hr in the second). So, given the importance, I would suggest repeat your study.

Good luck

Camera arrives tomorrow, so should have more info soon enough.

I guess I'd just record the night, and watch the 5-10 minutes preceding a wake up?

Anything else?

My first study had 0.9 LM w/arousals per hour (4 total), and my second 0.
Post Reply Post Reply
Or I am I focusing in particular on periods of light sleep that precede a wake up?
Post Reply Post Reply
mper may have something else in mind but my take is that if you're suffering fragmentation, scrutinize the last few minutes of each session, in flow and video.

sometimes plm is evident near or at the end of some of my fragmented sessions but not always by any means. I sleep through most of my plm but I know I'm being roused by my vocal responses to many kicks.

if I had a camera I'd start by looking at everything until I could narrow down what I'm looking for. I'm just making up examples here: you might find you have a problem when supine or in deep sleep or during transition. you might also find something like plm any time during the night. it comes and goes. still, I can almost always find some between about midnight and 2am but f course there's no reason to think that would be true for anyone else.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-20-2019, 03:28 PM)sheepless Wrote: mper may have something else in mind but my take is that if you're suffering fragmentation, scrutinize the last few minutes of each session, in flow and video....

Session?
Post Reply Post Reply
talking fragmentation: sleep session. seen in flow rate and listed under 'session information' left side of daily tab.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-20-2019, 01:55 PM)slowriter Wrote: Or I am I focusing in particular on periods of light sleep that precede a wake up?

Sorry, delay....PLM's tend to occur espisodically (with periodicity within each episode) in broad scale, everywhere in NREM sleep...episodes could be at some each 3......12.....30...50 min....
In my case, the most important ones, can be easily spoted responsively in FR, RR, TV, and leak. 
Look at some attached.....they can be much more subtle than these, and yet spotted in RR curves....

Good luck
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-22-2019, 06:03 AM)mper6794 Wrote:
(09-20-2019, 01:55 PM)slowriter Wrote: Or I am I focusing in particular on periods of light sleep that precede a wake up?

Sorry, delay....PLM's tend to occur espisodically (with periodicity within each episode) in broad scale, everywhere in NREM sleep...episodes could be at some each 3......12.....30...50 min....
In my case, the most important ones, can be easily spoted responsively in FR, RR, TV, and leak. 
Look at some attached.....they can be much more subtle than these, and yet spotted in RR curves....

Good luck

Reminder: I'm asking what to look for, first, in the video footage; where to focus.

So you're saying to look for those patterns in the graphs, and look there, as opposed to, say, minutes before awakening?
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-22-2019, 04:23 PM)slowriter Wrote:
(09-22-2019, 06:03 AM)mper6794 Wrote:

Good luck

Reminder: I'm asking what to look for, first, in the video footage; where to focus.....i don't know much video, Hope It works...yet, as i think i mentioned above, i would put much more confidence in a audio-recording higly sensitive device, $38 box, close to your knees, under your sheets. It is amazingly precise! Detecting up to tiny moves. Alternatively, at you least one or two times, you can also hang It close to your head.

Some three nights woud be enough to calibrate your waveforms definitively.

So you're saying to look for those patterns in the graphs, ....... YES, THAT IS IT...FOLLOW THE PATTERNS ANYWHERE....WITH MY AUDIOS, JUST LISTEN CAREFULLY IN SUSPECTED STRETCHES....PRETTY  EASY! You Will soon become familiar.......... to, say, minutes before awakening?

Good luck
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-22-2019, 04:38 PM)mper6794 Wrote:
(09-22-2019, 04:23 PM)slowriter Wrote:
(09-22-2019, 06:03 AM)mper6794 Wrote: Sorry, delay....PLM's tend to occur espisodically (with periodicity within each episode) in broad scale, everywhere in NREM sleep...episodes could be at some each 3......12.....30...50 min....

Good luck

Reminder: I'm asking what to look for, first, in the video footage; where to focus.....i don't know much video, Hope It works...yet, as i think i mentioned above, i would put much more confidence in a audio-recording higly sensitive device, $38 box, close to your knees, under your sheets. It is amazingly precise! Detecting up to tiny moves. Alternatively, at you least one or two times, you can also hang It close to your head.

Some three nights woud be enough to calibrate your waveforms definitively.

So you're saying to look for those patterns in the graphs, ....... YES, THAT IS IT...FOLLOW THE PATTERNS ANYWHERE....WITH MY AUDIOS, JUST LISTEN CAREFULLY IN SUSPECTED STRETCHES....PRETTY  EASY! You Will soon become familiar.......... to, say, minutes before awakening?

Good luck

I have more confidence in what I can see as an initial yes/no test, since I have no evidence that I have a PLM issue. For me, audio wouldn't confirm that.

The camera has infrared, and I'll sleep without the covers on, to be sure I don't miss small movements (toes, ankle, etc.).

IF the answer is that I do have PLMD, I can think about longer term tracking and treatment options, including audio.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have done a preliminary review of the video for two nights, and I don't see any evidence of PLM so far.

The only relationship I see between video and flow rate graph is that weirdness in the latter corresponds to when I change positions (say, supine to side).

I'll take another closer look later, when I have more time, but I'm pretty sure based on this, plus the two sleep studies, I do not have PLMD.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 20 930 4 hours ago
Last Post: SingleH
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 154 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 0 60 Yesterday, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Humancyclone7
  New BiPAP user with UARS(?) tk2234 23 617 03-24-2024, 08:11 PM
Last Post: tk2234
  [Pressure] Bipap settings help? UARS and not sure what I'm doing Christina5818 6 195 03-23-2024, 02:52 PM
Last Post: Christina5818
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,958 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Catathrenia +/- UARS: Bilevel or ASV or other? empiricismandstatistics 0 79 03-21-2024, 04:37 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.