Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Treating UARS with CPAP and bilevel
RE: UARS and APAP
Keep in mind, I'm only trying to identify where to look on the video.
Post Reply Post Reply
maybe working from flow rate to video is a quicker way? if you don't want to go through the entire video (can it be fast forwarded to view more quickly?), scroll through your flow rate at say a 6 or 7 minute view scale. that should only take a few minutes. then check the video against anything you see in the flow rate that looks like plm or any other anomaly. one of these days I want to get a camera because there are a lot of odd things in my flow whose sources I suspect but can't can't identify for sure. you may or may not not see plm and if you haven't learned everything there is to know about flow rates yet (I sure haven't) you might learn more about what causes different looking flow curves in your charts.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-12-2019, 06:34 PM)sheepless Wrote: maybe working from flow rate to video is a quicker way?  if you don't want to go through the entire video (can it be fast forwarded to view more quickly?), scroll through your flow rate at say a 6 or 7 minute view scale. that should only take a few minutes.  then check the video against anything you see in the flow rate that looks like plm or any other anomaly....

That's basically what I did here :-).
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-12-2019, 04:58 PM)slowriter Wrote: ...."over a few minutes of that span, the only movement I see is gentle (not jerky) ankle and toes, but seems to have variable spacing; sometimes maybe 30 seconds apart, and others more like a minute." .....this would be pretty much a definition for PLMS one may encounter in literature. What one has to be in mind is that PLMS has different degree of  manifestations of and consequences. Hope you realize soon what would be consequences in your case, once confirmed; It maybe significant or not, as discussed in literature.
Good luck
Post Reply Post Reply
I saw your post with the helpful video examples.

I think the movements I see with mine are similar to the Level 1 example.

I don't really see a lot of it though; again, so far.

I'll check again and try to get a handle on the timing question.

PS - you should really use the forum quote facility. Not only is it more consistent for sighted readers; also would actually work for people with visual impairments using screen readers.
Post Reply Post Reply
This is kind of interesting to me.

I made two minor changes a few nights ago.

I dropped PS from 6 to 5.2, and raised min EPAP from 6 to 6.2.

I also changed trigger from high to very high.

AHI instantly dropped from 3-5 (where it had been for awhile, even with trying different PS values) to below 1, and last night was 0!

Post Reply Post Reply
..It may happens! anyway it looks your AHI is too low to care about, maybe....

_by the way, it appears your architeture (including REM, less awakenings) is getting much better! ....started any medication?
Good luck
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-15-2019, 05:15 AM)mper6794 Wrote: ..It may happens! anyway it looks your AHI is too low to care about, maybe....

_by the way, it appears your architeture (including REM, less awakenings) is getting much better! ....started any medication?
Good luck

I've been experimenting for past couple of months with various supplements that calm down the nervous system/raise the arousal threshold.

The significant drop in AHI was independent of those, but the good night last corresponded with stopping valerian (seemed to mess up sleep onset for me) and returning to my original cocktail of GABA, 5-HTP, L-theanine.

I did also get a prescription for eszopiclone, but I haven't picked it up yet. I may or may not use it; or maybe only on nights where I must sleep soundly (for professional reasons).
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, indeed, I read this recently....

Clin Sci (Lond). 2011 Jun;120(12):505-14. doi: 10.1042/CS20100588.
Eszopiclone increases the respiratory arousal threshold and lowers the apnoea/hypopnoea index in obstructive sleep apnoea patients with a low arousal threshold.
Eckert DJ1Owens RLKehlmann GBWellman ARahangdale SYim-Yeh SWhite DPMalhotra A.
Author information
1Sleep Disorders Program, Division of Sleep Medicine, Brigham and Women's Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA. deckert@rics.bwh.harvard.edu
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, I saw the same study!

I did want to mention this, though, because elsewhere on the forum (have lost track of where), I came across someone saying the trigger setting seemed to correlate with CA events, and that having it on very high seemed to eliminate them.

Not sure if that's what accounts for the change I saw, since I simultaneously changed pressure, but it's probably worth experimenting with.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 1 71 8 minutes ago
Last Post: SingleH
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 20 961 Today, 03:24 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 168 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New BiPAP user with UARS(?) tk2234 23 624 03-24-2024, 08:11 PM
Last Post: tk2234
  [Pressure] Bipap settings help? UARS and not sure what I'm doing Christina5818 6 197 03-23-2024, 02:52 PM
Last Post: Christina5818
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,973 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Catathrenia +/- UARS: Bilevel or ASV or other? empiricismandstatistics 0 80 03-21-2024, 04:37 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.