Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Treating UARS with CPAP and bilevel
RE: Treating UARS with CPAP and bilevel
(03-01-2020, 09:07 AM)slowriter Wrote: You can have fragmented sleep even without arousals.

How? [confused] Isn't the latter essentially the definition of the former?
Post Reply Post Reply
Think sleep staging, with waking being one stage.

So, for sake of illustration, say you don't wake up all night, but you never reach deep sleep.

Now that I think of it, not sure of the technical definition of the term, but that's what I meant.
Caveats: I'm just a patient, with no medical training.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-01-2020, 12:45 PM)slowriter Wrote: Think sleep staging, with waking being one stage.

So, for sake of illustration, say you don't wake up all night, but you never reach deep sleep.

Now that I think of it, not sure of the technical definition of the term, but that's what I meant.

Yeah, I suppose it's a matter of how we define our terms. I think I'd define what you're describing as a sleep stage disorder, or whatever. When you google "what is fragmented sleep," the general consensus seems to be something along the lines of, "Fragmented sleep is when you experience frequent awakenings during your normal sleep cycle," which is what I think of when I think of (and experience, every single night) fragmented, fitful sleep: frequent awakenings (arousals) that are not a part of the normal sleep cycle.

Personally, I'm trying to figure out if my fragmented, fitful sleep is caused by SDB (since I've ruled out practically everything else), in particular, possible UARS, since I have low AHI, but have mild-to-moderate flow limitations that I'm currently experimenting with trying to quell. But many of the disturbances on my charts are not necessarily preceded by FL, and seem "spontaneous," so it's all rather confusing and frustrating. 

I don't want to hijack this thread and make it about me. At some point I'll start my own therapy thread and post some charts and ask for advice, but currently I'm still experimenting with masks, pressures, and EPR settings on my Autoset. I really don't want to go down the road of spending over $800 on a used bilevel to simply see if it might help, when I'm not even sure the FL are causing my frequent arousals. Again: super frustrating and disheartening.
Post Reply Post Reply
Seems there's some debate in the scientific literature on "sleep fragmentation" ("cortical" vs "autonomic"):

https://erj.ersjournals.com/content/17/4/723.long
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1907...t=Abstract
Caveats: I'm just a patient, with no medical training.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 20 961 Today, 03:24 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 168 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 0 68 Yesterday, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Humancyclone7
  New BiPAP user with UARS(?) tk2234 23 624 03-24-2024, 08:11 PM
Last Post: tk2234
  [Pressure] Bipap settings help? UARS and not sure what I'm doing Christina5818 6 197 03-23-2024, 02:52 PM
Last Post: Christina5818
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,973 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Catathrenia +/- UARS: Bilevel or ASV or other? empiricismandstatistics 0 80 03-21-2024, 04:37 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.