Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Troubleshooting CPAP (VPAP)
Troubleshooting CPAP (VPAP)
Disclaimer: I'm not looking for personal medical advice, I'm looking for general troubleshooting and diagnostic procedures others have had success for.
I've been on a ResMed (S9 VPAP Auto) for something like 8 years now. When I got it (after an at-home sleep study by Apria), it really changed my world. I use a nasal pillow and sleep either on my back or side. I am 100% diligent about using my CPAP, every night. I occasionally take it off if my dog wakes me up at 4am and I'm having trouble getting back to sleep, and if I fall asleep on the sofa while watching TV or something I obviously don't have it. I use OSCAR to analyze my data.
My AHI is usually sub 1.0, though on a restless night I've seen as high as 7. Total time in apnea is usually somewhere between 30 seconds and 2 minutes. OSCAR reports time over leak redline as 0% except on rare nights.
My DME (Apria) is worse than useless and I feel like the at-home sleep studies were very poor data, especially compared to the data from the ResMed telemetry in OSCAR.
The reason I'm writing is that I feel like I'm getting back to my old pre-CPAP situation. I wake up in the morning groggy and sometimes with tinnitus. My blood pressure is up. My memory and cognition are down. But nothing seems measurably off. I had an appointment with my GP and they didn't note anything amiss, and just wanted me to take blood pressure meds. I'm hoping to actually identify the causes and see if I can solve them, instead of just taking pills. I've cut out sugared soda, reduced salt, gotten more exercise, lost weight, but I can't help the feeling something is amiss that I'm not putting my finger on, and it feels like sleep is connected to it.
Since my DME and GP haven't been very insightful, I'm looking for insights about where you'd look in OSCAR data for telltales that might indicate something is off in my sleep. If I see something interesting, it's something I can discuss with my GP, but her suggestion was "get a new sleep study and see if it shows anything and then we can talk". I'm in a high altitude rural area, and it's not very conducive to go to a metropolitan facility thousands of feet lower in altitude than I am and do a sleep study there. So, I'm hoping to divine useful info from the RedMed telemetry taken of me sleeping normally, in my normal environment.

Thanks in advance. Recent OSCAR summary pasted below (sorry for the formatting, if there's a better way to share this, let me know).

AHI   0.12

ResMed

S9 VPAP Auto

PAP Mode: VPAPauto

PS 3.0 over 5.0-20.0 (cmH2O)

Date

Start

End

Hours

5/26/2022

23:16:22

07:21:24

08:05:02

Large Leak

0.00%

Clear Airway

Obstructive

Unclassified Apnea

Hypopnea

Statistics

Channel

Min

Med

95%

Max

EPAP

IPAP

Minute Vent.

Resp. Rate

Resp. Event

Flow Limit.

Leak Rate

Snore

Insp. Time

Exp. Time

Tidal Volume

Total time in apnea

00:00:06

Time over leak redline

0.000%

Machine Settings

Mode

VPAPauto

Min EPAP

5.00 cmH2O

Max IPAP

20.00 cmH2O

PS

3.00 cmH2O

Session Information

CPAP Sessions

On

Date

Start

End

Duration

ResMed Session #1653628560

5/26/2022

23:16:22

07:21:24
08h 05m 02s

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Troubleshooting CPAP (VPAP)
Hi TiredAt8000! - Welcome
What we need to see is a screenshot of your OSCAR Daily screen. You can perform this function by pressing the F12 key if you're using either Windows or Linux. A Mac requires holding down the "Fn" key while pressing the "F12" key. For more information, please review the links in my signature.

Also, the way you are describing your energy, do you have a recording oximeter? Altitude isn't your friend in this case.
- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

I do have a recording pulseox. I can try to keep it on one of these nights.

Obviously there's a leak event or two in that data, so I'm not so concerned about those, I have since replaced the head strap.
Post Reply Post Reply
Does anyone see anything noteworthy in the data in the screenshot?
Post Reply Post Reply
"My blood pressure is up. My memory and cognition are down. But nothing seems measurably off."    

I would say that this statement alone suggests that something is "measurably off".

I don't see anything amiss in the chart you posted, and this is not Medical advice, only advice from experience... don't ignore elevated BP readings.

Also, as stated above, your oxygen levels may be off. Use your recording oximeter for a few nights to check.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
How did you go with recording pulse oximetry..? 
The only thing that I could see on the data screenshot was the min’s for minute vent, resp rate, and tidal vol being low…I couldn’t see how long these minimums were in effect, however levels that low I would be reviewing the settings… however I might not be the best person to make these recommendations as I’m very rusty with these ResMed machine settings, as well as preferring to see the corresponding pulse oximetry data alongside the same nights’ download screenshot…
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll capture some oximetry and some fresh CPAP data.

Do my machine settings seem plausible? I'm not sure anyone who was involved in setting them originally knew what they were about. There was a whole lot of buck passing and hand waving.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you - some pulse oximetry and corresponding nightly data would be of interest, considering that on face value, the settings combined with the data outcome measures (AHI, etc) aren’t remarkable…having said that, the min’s shown are quite low, so there appears to be the need to change settings (and when looking at the graphs in greater detail with them zoomed in a bit, then there might be reason to up the min pressures and PS… however, there’s common sense in reviewing this in light of oximetry if that is a possibility). 
Looking forward to seeing the data when ready Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Diagnosis] Best Sleep Hospital or Clinic for Troubleshooting PAP Perchance2Dream 1 463 04-13-2024, 09:56 AM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,480 03-18-2024, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Resmed s9 VPAP auto issue steven7685 0 327 11-17-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: steven7685
  Capabilities of ResMed S9 VPAP for treating UARS TryingToGetItRight 7 663 10-06-2023, 01:39 PM
Last Post: McDee
  Quick question for anyone with AirCurve 10 VPAP njf1525 4 647 08-01-2023, 10:22 AM
Last Post: njf1525
  Saving time/date in ResMed S9 vpap adapt Ed in SoDak 4 496 06-18-2023, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Ed in SoDak
  Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt ASV vs VPAP ST stanleyjack 4 495 04-05-2023, 02:06 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.