Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Two weeks in, how am I doing
Two weeks in, how am I doing
I had a home sleep study done in April and my AHI was 20.  The hospital couldn't get me in to see a doctor for like 6 - 7 weeks and then wouldn't give me a copy of the report beforehand.  Combine that with some of the crazy stories about DME's and my insurance not being forthcoming on CPAP coverage and I decided to go about this on my own.  So I filed a HIPAA request to get the report and bought a DreamStation Auto w/ humidifier & Swift FX mask on my own.  The report recommended an auto CPAP machine with rates between 7 and 15.  I've used it for two weeks now.

I switch between sleeping on my side and sleeping on my back.  It doesn't feel like the mask is always tight when I'm on my side or maybe it moves around, but maybe it is fine?  I know my lips end up slightly separated as I'm falling asleep, but I don't feel the air rushing out of my mouth.  I'm not bouncing off the walls with energy yet and I'm still waking up several times thoughout the night, but I think I'm sleeping better overall.  How do the charts say I'm doing?

Well, I tried to post an IMGUR album of my results but I don't have enough posts so let's see how the attachments work.

imgur.com/a/Ypb8xTE
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Two weeks in, how am I doing
Welcome to the forum. Looks like a fantastic start in taking control of your treatment and not letting the system slow you down. Your therapy is okay too and getting better with time as expected. Your remaining events are hypopnea and some OA. It's pretty common with the Philips Auto CPAP that the minimum pressure needs to be optimized to really treat these events. I think you will see an improvement if you will increase minimum CPAP pressure to 8.0. No other changes are needed. You seem to have outstanding respiratory function and tidal volume and everything looks as it should. A bit more minimum pressure should put you over the top.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sweet, thanks.  I just raised the minimum pressure up and I'll give it a shot for a few days then report back.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome and congratulations!  That's a great start I hope you keep us posted on your progress (I'd love to add your name to the list of folks I envy!  Dielaughing )...
Post Reply Post Reply
GREAT!! keep it up.

Welcome
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's a few more days with the minimum pressure at 8.  I guess I forgot to mention that I've had it on the EZStart mode that's supposed to reduce the pressure somehow.  I still feel it's not too secure on my side, which is how I normally like to go to sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello perry's

What a way to start!! Well done and such long periods of use per night. I am envious!!

There are some events to get rid off and as you are not going generally above 12cmH2O, it probably is your lower limit which is not high enough. I would raise it to 9cm H2O for a few nights and see what that brings you.
Sleepyhead in 5 easy steps
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I do love to sleep! I'm wondering if the limit is still restricted with the EZStart stuff? I still get messages that the EZStart level was increased when I start it up each night. I'll disable that and raise the minimum pressure to 9 and report back next week.

The Sleepyhead stats says my average AHI with the minimum at 7 was 4.89, and it's been 3.38 with it at 8.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think your next step is a minimum pressure of 8.5. Events are mainly hypopnea, and they generally happen when the machine is near the minimum pressure. It's pretty typical for Philips Auto CPAP. EZ-Start is not a problem, and much better than ramp. You can see it briefly in the EPAP line at the beginning of therapy. Great start!
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
I set it to 8.5 and turned off the C-Flex (it was at 1) but left EZ Start on. Dreammapper says my AHI was just 1.5 last night; I'm at work and didn't mess with Sleepyhead before I left home. That's the best night so far.

Total Clear Airway Apneas 4
Total Obstructive Apneas 4
Total Hypopneas 4
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can someone take a look at my OSCAR results? 3-4 weeks of CPAP & still improvements senseisaitama 5 133 03-24-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Question Oscar Help - Analysis after 3 Weeks, Improvements! ef8mk 7 322 03-24-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: ef8mk
  Trialing a Dreamstation (2?) for 4 weeks NeedSleepPlease 46 1,504 03-12-2024, 05:05 PM
Last Post: NeedSleepPlease
  2 weeks in. Mask leak and flow limit Jojo1982 11 674 02-22-2024, 01:51 PM
Last Post: Jojo1982
  [Pressure] I just started apap therapy 3 weeks ago and I feel worse.Should I change settings? AndreiChivu 1 324 02-03-2024, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] 5-6 Weeks into CPAP Therapy, Sleep Getting Worse of Late SleepyLP 17 914 01-16-2024, 06:32 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  3 Weeks in the World of APAP MaskedOne 2 312 01-16-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: MaskedOne

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.